• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM042: Alola at Kanto! Takeshi and Kasumi!!

...I had a feeling this episode would have virtually no plot and it'd just be the whole group dicking around Oak's corral.

Remember how back for the BW finale they wasted half of the episode showing Oak bonding with Kalos Pokémon? This gave me a similar feel in that we spent more time looking at random Pokémon instead of the ones Ash owns. At least it was better handled this time, though. This was more entertaining, plus the place looks big and crowded enough to make Ash's Pokémon absence believable. Hey, maybe some of the Pokémon we briefly saw (namely Corphish and Totodile) were Ash's, after all.

I know I shouldn't have expected otherwise, but the lack of Oak's Rotom or a Tracey cameo will piss me off for a while. Continuity is so weird right now.

Last edited:
The episode wasn't bad but felt kind of rushed.
And I am still wondering, does the Kanto Marowak belong to Brock?

ep06_sign05j_big.jpg

Screenshot_2017-09-14-13-39-04-1.png

While this episode had a lot of weak points, there was enough packed in it to be desired.

-Crobat reappears for the first time since AG; Staryu also shows up

-(Ambiguous) Totodile and Corphish appearances

-Freaking. Jigglypuff.

-Classic TR motto-- complete with James's rose!

--Misty and Lana interaction!

My only cons with this episode is the lack of Ash's old pokemon (going as far to not even have half of the ones shown interact with him), and Bewear once again, sweeping TR away. It gets too predictable at this point. :(

8/10

Last edited:
So the episode was as rushed as i thought it would be, but I still enjoyed it! Some thoughts:

The SM artstyle really suits Kasumi, especially when animated.

I liked how Musashi instantly recognized Takeshi's name and was not amused lmao

That flashback scene was way more brief than I thought it would be but I guess that was all they had time for.

The absence of any music at all during Purin's song was insulting. It makes me think the sound mixers aren't allowed to use pre-BW music any more because otherwise why not use the iconic music piece?

They couldn't be bothered to animate the majority of the Rocket motto lmao

And mew wtf

All in all the episode fared pretty well in my book, it's a shame we only have 2 episodes for this little reunion or otherwise they could have fleshed some ideas out here a bit better but all in all I'm pleased.

I haven't seen it yet, but I did worry that they were trying to cram too much in one episode. Sounds as though I was right here.

Out of interest, did Bewear go all the way to Kanto to save TR after all?

I haven't seen it yet, but I did worry that they were trying to cram too much in one episode. Sounds as though I was right here.

Out of interest, did Bewear go all the way to Kanto to save TR after all?
Yes, it jumped from a plane overhead with a rocket contraption and flew off with them into the sky, because, you know Bewear having that makes sense....

Also, those Marowak were jerks. Pikachu was only trying to calm them down and I'm glad Togedemaru stood up for Pikachu by attack them.

Random thoughts:

- I'm saying it now, Kenji is gone. There was no reason for him not to appear in this episode, he could easily have made a non-speaking cameo in the background of the party.
- Also, there's a whole sequence underwater with surprising cameos from Waninoko and Heigani and yet Kingler doesn't appear too?! I mean, its the first Pokemon Satoshi ever sent to stay at the lab so you'd think it would have been given something in this episode.
- I'm also disappointed that Takeshi's Lucky or Gureggu didn't appear (there's next week, mind), but was happy to see his Crobat again. Guess Takeshi reclaimed all his Pokemon from his brother.
- If I was Satoshi, as soon as I get back to Alola I'd track down and capture Kiteruguma. That thing would clearly be an absolute powerhouse in battles.
- Man, the Hanada Gym has really had a makeover during the last few years.

The Ninetales and Lillie's Vulpix scene was amazing. And so was the scene with Kiawe and Rapidash.

Also, just a random thought..
Why on Bulbapedia Crobat and Geodude/Staryu are not listed as "On Hand" for Brock/Misty?

Talk about major renovation!

Anyway, regarding this episode, I personally found it a bit dry overall. It was nice to see Misty and Brock being brought back and that there were some good references, like Rapidash running in an open field (referencing the original opening), Team Rocket with a mecha attacking the group, and Jigglypuff singing and making the group go to sleep.

However, I'm disappointed by the fact that the only Ash's Pokémon we have seen here are Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Tauros and Muk. Sure, there is still next episode, but I fear it will be only focused on the battles and on the departure, meaning that we won't get the chance to see other Pokémon, not even the Kanto ones.

Quite sad, but I had the feeling it would have ended being handled in this way, since they already had to cram so many characters into one episode, and adding more characters would have ended up becoming an overfilled mess. However, after considering how much stuff they had to insert, the final result isn't too bad, but they still bit more than they could chew.

It's not a bad episode by any means, but I think it could have been handled better, especially because it features two iconic characters. So, for me this episode is average as a whole, but actually quite good for SM standards.

Aside of this, there are two moments that interested me in particular, and those are:

DP158.jpg

Please, let this be a hint! Please, let this be a hint!

DP354.jpg

Random Mew appearance is random. Though, doesn't Mew have Genesis Supernova as its exclusive Z-Move? Could this Mew have a role in a future episode?

Out of interest, was any mention made of Takeshi's desire to be a Pokemon Doctor, given the last time we saw him he was in Johto preparing to be an apprentice?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom