• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM043: Gym Battle! Z-Move VS Mega Evolution!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what would be so bad about Ash beating his old friends, especially if its Pikachu. Pikachu has 7 regions of experience(6+Orange Islands) and has taken down many powerful Pokemon. I'm hoping they at least let him beat one of them cause I feel like Ash hasn't had any big wins outside of Kahunas.

The sudden exposure given to Mega is a really good sign that they're not done with Megas yet and that there could be more new Megas in USUM. The going back to Kanto is also pretty good sign of what's to come for USUM too. Lastly, gym battle? Why is he doing a gym battle suddenly? Will there be gym battles in USUM?

I can see Ash winning against Misty pretty easily but no chance that he'll beat Brock.

I feel like he's gotta at least beat Misty cause he never did officially beat her when it was a battle they could have finished properly, plus, losing to both would make him look so weak after all these years and all the time they watched him grow. Ash might not have a strong Alolan team right now, but he still has Pikachu, his Z-moves, and he will be right with his reserves. He can lose to Brock and it won't be that big of a deal, but losing to both would make Ash look so weak, especially after coming out of the league he should have won a year ago.

Last edited:
If I were writing it, I would have Ash beat Misty, showing off the power of Gigavolt Havoc in the process, while I'd have him lose to Brock since he has no Pokémon that has a real advantage over Steelix save for Litten, who does not have access to the Fire-type Z-Move. Without that, even with a partial type advantage (don't forget that Steelix is part Ground-type, which is strong against Fire-type Pokémon), Litten would not realistically be able to beat a Mega Evolution. It could show both being powerful. Z-Moves are one time use, but many Pokémon can use them to level the playing field, especially less evolved forms when facing evolved forms or Mega Evolutions, but beware if the opponent survives the Z-Move; while Mega Evolutions are really powerful but are restricted to only one Pokémon on a team. Both have their strengths and weaknesses with the best of both worlds being a combination both.

When was the last time type advantage was mentioned at all to factor into a character winning a battle?

When was the last time type advantage was mentioned at all to factor into a character winning a battle?

I don't remember, but ironically, it was mentioned when battling Jasmine's steelix.
Ash: Which Pokemon are strong over steel types?
Brock: Fire Types

Then Ash chose Cyndaquil for battle. That too, a Fire starter.

If I'm remembering correctly, which considering my memory is like a sieve so I'm probably wrong, the last time type advantage was considered was in BW with Elesa and...yeah that went well, and theirs of course Greninja beating the Grass and Dragon Mega Sceptile with the Water type Water Shuriken and Charizard beating the Water type Greninja with the Fire type Blast Burn.

This show can have Magikarp beat Arceus with Splash.

Also, I don't want them to have Ash crush Misty and Brock just to show the superiority of Z-Moves over Mega Evolution. Plus, the Pokémon Fandom still prefers the latter as much as it might displease Game Freak.

I am trying a No Questions, No Complaints mindset towards these two episodes (gifthorse, mouth, yada yada), but I can't help asking - gym battles vs who? Are they going to squeeze in 2 matches into this episode?

I am trying a No Questions, No Complaints mindset towards these two episodes (gifthorse, mouth, yada yada), but I can't help asking - gym battles vs who? Are they going to squeeze in 2 matches into this episode?

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case. After all, the writers needed a whole episode to introduce Charizard to the newest generation, and with Misty and Brock they will need to cram much more stuff.

So, I believe that the first episode will be filled with introductions, flashbacks and references to the past, while this episode will focus only on the battles against Brock and Misty.

It's going to be hard to fit all this stuff, but it should still be possible.

I mean.....hear me out but are we 100% sure SM044 will be back in Alola? I know only 2 episodes have been confirmed to be in Kanto but.....?

I mean.....hear me out but are we 100% sure SM044 will be back in Alola? I know only 2 episodes have been confirmed to be in Kanto but.....?
I want to believe there's more, but Mayumi Iizuka tweeted only these 2 dates which makes me really doubtful that there would be more (unless the Kanto trip outlasts Kasumi's return?)

I want to believe there's more, but Mayumi Iizuka tweeted only these 2 dates which makes me really doubtful that there would be more (unless the Kanto trip outlasts Kasumi's return?)

Well that is possible.. I mean a gym leader shouldn't be goofing around with a bunch of school going children.

It's just 2 dates. It's good nosalgia ride. No need to milk any futher. If ratings are good. I'm sure it won't be last time we see them

Well that is possible.. I mean a gym leader shouldn't be goofing around with a bunch of school going children.
Well Misty had do problem doing that for Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto. But I don't think this will last longer than two episodes unfortunately. It should have been three episodes in my opinion. Three is a good round number for a mini-arc like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom