• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM043: Gym Battle! Z-Move VS Mega Evolution!!

I think that both the battles were logically flawless with the conclusions, and very good with their executions.

For Kiawe vs Brock, nothing else could have happened. The only strong trainer-pokemon combos he had ever faced before were Ash-Pikachu and Olivia-Lycanroc. Pikachu always seemed to have the upper hand on Turtonator, and though Kiawe did defeat Olivia in a 1v1 to win his z-ring, he still has very less experience. Plus Turtonator's bulk and speed made it unlikely for it to even land a single hit. I was still amazed at Brock choosing to let him use a 2x type effective z-move and taking it head on, but the damage it did really showed how less his level might be. As an aside, it does say a lot about the totems and the kahunas in anine, doesn't it? Kiawe IS a z-ringer, after all. Maybe the anime should have let him do some damage at least...however.

As for Ash vs Misty, people have already started complaining that Ash and Pikachu are OP and needed to lose. I remember reading somewhere else that Kiawe should have won and Ash lost. While I don't deny that this Ash is a different version of Ash from XYZ, I cannot see why he can't have experienced OS, AG, BF, DP, XY and the
pseudo-continuity of BW, as the only thing they've changed is Ash's nature, and that because Ash's character had developed in various unlikable ways, and the writers needed to find a more likable version. Anyways, IF it is the same Ash, which it must be with the writers finally acknowledging continuity, than he doesn't deserve another humbling loss to peg him down; he's had enough to know not to be overconfident. Plus, this time round they have enough people to take the burden of losses off him. He did lose to TR, Lillie's butler Hobbs' Oricorio and Gladion's Lycanroc in a justificable way this gen, remember? There was no way Pikachu should have lost to a Pokemon with 4x disadvantage, and their battle being so one-sided was only rational. Gyrados was defensive from the off, and though Misty did defend the Electro-ball remarkably, she didn't land a single hit on Pikachu. I can't see a different outcome even if there was no mega and z move.

The small bits like the Marowak's reaction to Kiawe's loss, Brock's abs, Psyduck's battle, his interactions with Pikachu and Geodude were great. Also Jigglypuff.
Perfectly happy with this episode.

I think this was a really good episode to be honest. For having four different battles, I'd say they did as good as they could. Great animation. Great continuity as well. Like you can tell from Ash watching Psyduck battle. He knew what was gonna happen after all this time apart. Kukui revealing that he's planning to establish a Pokemon League in Alola at this moment in time is interesting. It's like he his purpose for going to Kanto was to be inspired watching Brock and Misty battle or something. Jigglypuff is going with them back to Alola. I think that's sweet, as long as the writers actually do something with it. If it's only there to sing, get angry and draw faces on them while they're asleep I, say they can send it on the first plane back to Kanto. We already have a pink Pokemon in Alola that's there for the same gag over and over again. We don't need two. In the original series they had Jigglypuff at least pop up and do something a lot of the time. Like fighting Clefairy, the rivalry with Snubull, putting Snorlax to sleep for Ash to catch it, the two Igglybuff. Sad to see Team Rocket didn't really get a part in this episode though. Could've had a nice little HQ reunion, but nope. SS Bewear is appearantly way more important.

Is there any place I can find a video of this episode's End-of-Episode Silliness and the PokeProblem answer? I have not been able to find the footage connected to the images of Oshawott and Scraggy anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned that Mijumaru is Satoshi's and wanted to find him before he left. Hey, if people can assume the Zenigame Squad is now living at Oak's lab then I can assume this.

Esspecually sine Rotom said he was on a 'journey' to see the Pokemon. If they were implying Rotom stayed at the lab- they would have shown more of Ash's Pokemon; he was clearly out in wider Kanto.

That's just how Bulbapedia works now, we can't assume a move with Thunder Wave's exact unique animation is Thunder Wave but we can assume a forest that looks the same as over a hundred forests throughout the series is Oak's garden.

Pokemon Showcase aren't a thing anymore right...right?! SERENA CONFIRMED!!!
1f603.png

upload_2017-9-21_13-36-28.png

From the looks of it, there might be a league tournament towards the end of the series after all, since Kukui mentioned he planned to set one up. Also, interesting to hear Jigglypuff is coming to Alola :whistle:

Favorite quote from Jessie: "Why'd that bespectacled kappa call us here!"

He mentioned that in the anime? I didn't watch the episodes yet.

I wonder which rank Ash will win and how he will lose this time.

I finally watched the episode. It was fantastic! It was great to see the Alohan students shock with mega evolution and also its ability to revert to previous form.

I like that it showed a major difference between Kasumi and Takeshi doing a practice battle and them actually in a battle. They're both a force to be reckoned with in a real battle. I think I heard Lana or one of the girls say something like the "power of a gym leader is scary," but correct me if I'm wrong.

Both battles were intense. Satoshi and Kasumi's match could've gone either way, but Satoshi was smart and used Pikachu's speed rather than power to win.

These were like final battles in some anime series.

Takeshi is ripped!! Like, seriously...

Now, a whole new generation will not only know Kasumi/Misty and Takeshi/Brock, but they will come to love Jigglypuff.

This episode, despite being part of a two episode arc, made me excited for what the rest of the series will bring us.

Pokemon Showcase aren't a thing anymore right...right?! SERENA CONFIRMED!!!
1f603.png

View attachment 104409
I don't think that the random appearance of the girl has anything to do with Serena appearing. She could be just traveling to Kanto or some other region and Kanto just happens to be her place to get to her connecting flight.

I feel like the appearance of those two XY characters was probably a way for the show to acknowledge XY alongside Mega Evolutions, since as people have pointed out it almost felt like XY&Z was separate from the other seasons.

If you're gonna go conspiracy theorist though, you could note that suspiciously the only region that didn't get any representation in these two episodes as far as I know was Sinnoh---Johto got Totodile's cameo and Crobat, Hoenn had Corphish, and in that shot with the XY girls there's an Oshawott. But I haven't watched the full episode so maybe there's a random Sinnoh Pokemon walking around too.

I don't think that the random appearance of the girl has anything to do with Serena appearing. She could be just traveling to Kanto or some other region and Kanto just happens to be her place to get to her connecting flight.

I mean... They animated them for a reason, the animators obviously knew that people would think about Serena/Showcases after seeing them.
Remember when S&M started and we had a lot of Kanto references like TR's random lures or Brock's wig ? Guess what happened next ? I'm not saying Serena or Showcases will be back I actually don't want it to happen but there's no way the animators animated these girls for nothing , they like to put some subliminal messages sometimes.

Thank you @Jacki132 for posting clear pictures to what everyone was referencing-I couldn't see the girls in the initial photos that were posted. That's a nice bout of continuity they included, especially as it indicates that Concetta and Sara Lee are friends.

Regarding the episode, it was pretty good! The little mock Gym Battles that the more inexperienced classmates got to experience was a nice touch in my opinion. But I came here for the battles and that's what I got. Brock put Kiawe in his place as the OG male friend of Ash (and Brock is freaking ripped! Okay ladies, or guys, Brock can battle, cook, will be a doctor and looks good-he's the total package!)-that battle was great and Steelix using Dig like that has to now be one of my favorite depictions of it in the series. It seemed fitting that Kiawe lost although I appreciate the hard battle he put up (I was slightly disappointed he didn't use Shell Smash though...).

Ash vs Misty went how I expected it to be, with Ash winning of course. While it was a great battle, and we finally got see some Gym Leader smarts from Misty, I was pretty miffed that she didn't get a single direct hit on Pikachu-especially given how the field was in her advantage! Regardless, it was still good. Also for some interesting trivia, I believe this is first time she has actually had a direct battle against Pikachu-all other battles had Pikachu refuse to battle Misty or Ash and Misty use different Pokemon. Only took 7 generations of Pokemon to make it happen haha.

With replica Gym Badges as keepsakes and sleeping Jiggylypuff ready to shake up Alola, this was a nice conclusion to the first part of Sun & Moon.

I'm a little bit on the fence with this episode, there were just certain scenes that didn't sit well with me and are keeping me from agreeing with the notion that this was a great episode

For one thing; there was that scene where Kiawe was talking to Ash about something after the Boulder and Cascade badges were shown, which resulted in Misty and Brock saying something that made Ash back up in clear embarrassment. It was obviously in regards to the true nature of how he obtained both those badges, which, personally I don't think he did get out of pity, rather he got them out of gratitude or because he showed just what kind of good-natured person that he is at heart. And when you think about it, maybe the reason got him badges because the gym leaders could see that Ash's true nature in regards Pokémon will indeed take him far as long he never loses sight of it, which he never did. At least that's my opinion

Anyways, back to the 43rd episode of S/M, there was also that one scene where Ash was cheering during the battle with Misty and the latter made an 'oh brother' type of expression afterwards

Then there was that scene where Brock was apparently speaking to Ash in the stands as he was apparently trying to wake up Pikachu who was sleeping. I don't even know what the context of that was.

And then there was when Ash apparently challenged Misty to a battle and she apparently just brushed it off as a battle that she was easily going to win.

Then there was the scene where Misty changed the nature of the battlefield and Ash was acting oddly and Misty said something rather smugly, to which Kiawe and Sophocles both said something in an 'oh brother' type of fashion.

Then Misty said something after deflecting Ash's attack, I don't know what

Then there was the scene where Ash was battling Misty and said something that made Professor Kukui face palm himself

Then, once the battle was finally over with Ash as the victor, Misty apparently said something that got Ash really riled up, which is when Brock had to step in

In conclusion, this was not exactly how I would have liked it for the nostalgic episodes to end. The last ones had scenes that concerned me, but it still felt nice to see the original trio back together. However this episode, the one with all of the battles included in it, just didn't sit well with me.

I know this may sound ungrateful considering that I should be thankful that Misty and Brock came back at all, but I didn't care for this episode. The nostalgia wore off for me due to the Cerulean Gym's complete redesign, not to mention whatever the eff that was about when Brock took off his shirt. Add to that how I dislike Mega Evos in general - as well as Badges being given away for free - and this episode was miserable for me.

Will someone please reply to my post, because i really need to keep this up until i find a more soothing response.

Sorry, but why exactly did people assume that SM was in a different timeline to XY in the first place?! Was it the tonal shift, or did people hate how XY ended that much?

Anyway, back to the episode and I enjoyed this a lot more than last weeks (but then again, I enjoy almost any episode where the focus is on the battles). The battles were just fantastic and a great display of just how good SM's animation can be. Although it took a while, I am now fully behind the new art style if it always looks as good as this. It was also great to finally see Koduck again, and even though its clearly being through some training its still the scatterbrain its always been.

As far as I'm concerned that Mijumaru is Satoshi's and wanted to find him before he left. Hey, if people can assume the Zenigame Squad is now living at Oak's lab then I can assume this.

The reasons behind the whole sun/moon continuity thing can be found here.

Honestly as someone who suspected this theory was true for a time i think it's safe to say it's been mostly debunked at this point. There are only a few odd inconsistencys that need to be resolved.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom