• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM043: Gym Battle! Z-Move VS Mega Evolution!!

Best SM battles ever!
It's weird to hear Psyduck's real voice.
LOL Misty still didn't train it properly.
They give gym badges to everyone!
Did Brock just cheated?
I was expecting more emotion from Misty, considering she's finally beaten by him.

Last edited:
You all waited and showcases are finally back ! I mean... almost back.

View: https://twitter.com/psnaetoru/status/910812656411357185

EP915_Shinri.png
It's finally confirmed, XY is canon to OS and SM.

I was expecting more emotion from Misty, considering she's finally beaten by him.

OBJECTION!

Misty and Ash have had proper battles before, battles that Ash won.

Specifically the battle during Totodile's debut episode, the one where Poliwag evolved into Poliwhirl. Ash has beaten her for more than just a simple badge.

But for a Pokemon, that DANCES!

You all waited and showcases are finally back ! I mean... almost back.

View: https://twitter.com/psnaetoru/status/910812656411357185

I hope this is real. Just because of the Scraggy with the bowtie. (y)

Looks like these battles kinda go the way I expected them to. I had a feeling Ash would beat Misty, thus confirming him rightfully winning the Cascade Badge. It would've been cool for him to beat Brock, too (I could see Litten evolving to Torracat in such a scenario), but they didn't have the time for him to fight TWO gym battles and let the others battle as well. I still think they could've added one or more additional episodes to not make it feel so rushed.

I was hoping Kiawe would beat Brock (Steelix, and even Mega Steelix, should be weak to Turtonator), but I had a feeling he wouldn't, just to emphasize that Ash is on a higher level as a trainer than his classmates.

I can't wait to see Jigglypuff in Alola. And really, it makes sense since Jigglypuff can be seen natively in Alola.

Ash vs Misty went as I'd hoped (he's beaten her in a battle before this, I made that abundantly clear to all in the preview thread) and I'm not feeling sour over Kiawe's loss since Turtonator was disadvantaged against Ground just as Steelix is against Fire. I knew it could be anyone's win.

Wait, did Jigglypuff just stow away on the plane? This is something I could get behind.

OH NO PURIN LMAO

It's disappointing the Rocket trios meeting with HQ didn't seem to be relevant to anything.

Oh god, we have Bewear, AND Jigglypuff now? SM is going to be the gaggiest series yet.

PROS AND CONS:
-Amazing animation was used in this episode, with the sharp lines! It almost felt like I was watching XY again.

-Charjabug screentime.

-Mallow gets to be useful for once.

-Loved how everyone's pokemon spectated the battle.

-If Brock looks like that under his shirt I'm surprised he hasn't found anyone yet o_O

-TR appears in a gym episode without being a nuisance. This episode proves that just because they're in a episode that's important does not mean they'll ruin it.

-Seeing Mega Evolution again was great!

CONS:
-No Shell Smash Turtonator?

-Ash manages to make Pikachu run on water with Quick Attack to escape a whirlpool. Kindok of plot armour.

8/10

Sorry, but why exactly did people assume that SM was in a different timeline to XY in the first place?! Was it the tonal shift, or did people hate how XY ended that much?

Anyway, back to the episode and I enjoyed this a lot more than last weeks (but then again, I enjoy almost any episode where the focus is on the battles). The battles were just fantastic and a great display of just how good SM's animation can be. Although it took a while, I am now fully behind the new art style if it always looks as good as this. It was also great to finally see Koduck again, and even though its clearly being through some training its still the scatterbrain its always been.

It's finally confirmed, XY is canon to OS and SM.

As far as I'm concerned that Mijumaru is Satoshi's and wanted to find him before he left. Hey, if people can assume the Zenigame Squad is now living at Oak's lab then I can assume this.

I've been a major critic of the SM series, and I have to say this episode went surprisingly fairly well. I had low expectations coming in, since last episode was what I believe was pretty weak, but wow they actually had a good episode this time.

Positives
- Everyone gets to battle, Kanto vs Alola. Nice to see one of my complaints get addressed
- Exciting battles, especially Brock vs Kiawe and Misty vs Ash. I guess Mega Evolution isn't completely irrelevant yet
- Psyduck's battle was surprisingly entertaining
- Jigglypuff: After being disappointed on how it was just forced in last episode, I'm glad to see that the old Jigglypuff gag may continue in Alola. The question is how Jigglypuff, the Balloon Pokemon, has not been blown off the airplane yet

Negatives
- Everyone getting a badge. I haven't watched the sub yet but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be getting a badge
- I don't know if anyone else was expecting it, but I thought there would be a Brock and Misty vs Ash battle. Like Olympia's battle kinda. Maybe even bring back one of Ash's old Pokemon to join the fray. That right there is more nostalgia
- The fact that TR did not go to HQ disappoints me too. I still wanted to see their old Pokemon and I guess that isn't happening. Maybe when/if everyone goes to Hoenn we may have a Weezing/Arbok reunion?

This episode get's a 8/10. That's one of the highest I've ever given an episode

I'm probably missing something, but what does this mean?

I've been a major critic of the SM series, and I have to say this episode went surprisingly fairly well. I had low expectations coming in, since last episode was what I believe was pretty weak, but wow they actually had a good episode this time.

Positives
- Everyone gets to battle, Kanto vs Alola. Nice to see one of my complaints get addressed
- Exciting battles, especially Brock vs Kiawe and Misty vs Ash. I guess Mega Evolution isn't completely irrelevant yet
- Psyduck's battle was surprisingly entertaining
- Jigglypuff: After being disappointed on how it was just forced in last episode, I'm glad to see that the old Jigglypuff gag may continue in Alola. The question is how Jigglypuff, the Balloon Pokemon, has not been blown off the airplane yet
I think those two were supposed to be the serious battles. The others were clearly exhibitionary in nature. I don't even think it's accurate to say that Lana, Mallow, Sophocles, and Lillie lost those battles, as they were clearly called off. Snowy and Togedemaru weren't even really attacked in theirs.

And yes, it was fun seeing Psyduck battling competently for once.

Negatives
- Everyone getting a badge. I haven't watched the sub yet but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be getting a badge
- I don't know if anyone else was expecting it, but I thought there would be a Brock and Misty vs Ash battle. Like Olympia's battle kinda. Maybe even bring back one of Ash's old Pokemon to join the fray. That right there is more nostalgia
- The fact that TR did not go to HQ disappoints me too. I still wanted to see their old Pokemon and I guess that isn't happening. Maybe when/if everyone goes to Hoenn we may have a Weezing/Arbok reunion?
My understanding is that the badges were replicas. They even gave Ash one, and he already has the real deals.

Sadly, they did not have enough time for Brock v. Ash. As I noted before, there really should've been a few more episodes to this arc. Finish the season in Kanto, then go into Season 21 beginning the Aether Foundation arc and introducing Lusamine, Wicke, Faba, and Nebby.

The fact that TR did not go to HQ disappoints me too. I still wanted to see their old Pokemon and I guess that isn't happening.

They could have easily gone to the lab off-screen before they tried to rob the lab. Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I am sorry to say though I doubt we'll ever see any of TR's older Pokemon again.

Are we gonna sleep on the fact that Jigglypuff is going to Alola??? Also nice to see the scraggy girl and also a Oshawat. The battle between AshXMisty was awesome and it was nice the others got a little try which was something a lot complained about before seeing the episode.

From the looks of it, there might be a league tournament towards the end of the series after all, since Kukui mentioned he planned to set one up. Also, interesting to hear Jigglypuff is coming to Alola :whistle:

Favorite quote from Jessie: "Why'd that bespectacled kappa call us here!"

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom