• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM044: Satoshi and Hoshigumo! Mysterious Encounter!!

I also wasn't a fan of how Ash found Nebby instead of Lillie. This is her major story from the games and they started it off with Ash. They could have at least found it together if they weren't going to let Lillie handle it, imo.

I disagree, because Nebby was never that important to Lillie to begin with. Nebby was at most a catalyst, a reason, an excuse, whatever you want to call it for what was going on with Lillie in the games.

Lillie was sick of her mother's behavior and likely treatment of Pokemon, as well as the way she was treated by her mother as well, as we later find out in the games, like a pet or a collection.

Lillie basically "snapped" so to speak and took Cosmog/Nebby from her mother and fled, it being one more Pokemon (probably also being the most important Pokemon to her mother given the Ultra Wormhole obsession) that her mother wouldn't have.

Lillie's character was never about Nebby, it was about her relationship with her mom and her own growth, being that she gives Nebby to the player character given that only the player character can truly bring out said Pokemon's potential (even if you want to argue, PLOT EXCUSE), and she went to Kanto to go out on her journey.

Quite frankly that story even with Nebby being the catalyst, just wouldn't work in the anime, given the story they are presenting. It would honestly come off more as pandering for the sake of pandering rather than be good writing.

If Lillie WAS written closer to her game counterpart then I could see the argument, but Lillie was not trapped at the Aether Paradise, and Lusamine wasn't experimenting on Cosmog, so shoving Cosmog/Nebby on her just for game's sake, is in my opinion bad writing.

At the very least, they gave a nod to the games, by having Lillie nickname Cosmog. But clearly as the anime has been written, Nebby/Cosmog would be better off with the Player Character of sorts, or in this case THE Main Protagonist...Ash, especially if Ash will ultimately share similar paths with the Player Character by using Solgaleo/Lunala in some fashion.

Now, I guess something must be wrong with my memory because I do not remember Ash seeing or hearing about Solgaleo and Lunala before so that he could dream about them and refer to them by name. Like I honestly just do not remember that. Anyway, I did like that we got a bit of Gladion dealing with Type: Null's struggles again.

This episode had a lot of funny moments. Like Litten waking Ash and Pikachu with that mighty tail slapping. And Burnet and Munchlax goofing around on the TV. But the funniest part had to be when Ash ditched Nebby with Kiawe and Kiawe failed at calming Nebby. Like that was hilarious. :D

It was nice to finally see Lusamine and rest of her Aether crew, but I feel that their introduction was super rushed as hell. They were at the Alter of the Sun/Moon and then all of a sudden they're in Kukui's house and checking out Nebby talking about the Ultra Beasts. Honestly, upon reaching the end of this episode, I really feel like this could have been a two-parter; part one should have been getting introduced to Nebby while part two would have been meeting Lusamine and the Aether crew. Nebby didn't even show up until the halfway point of the episode, then the focus on it dropped once Lusamine showed up. It just seemed weird.

I also wasn't a fan of how Ash found Nebby instead of Lillie. This is her major story from the games and they started it off with Ash. They could have at least found it together if they weren't going to let Lillie handle it, imo.

Overall, I think this episode was okay, but could have been executed better. 7/10.

My guess is that he either learned it in school off screen or it's just like that sort of dream where you know something you shouldn't seeing as they chose him to be their protector.

I actually don't find their appearance was rushed seeing as they have been searching for Nebby and hence picked up on the same thing the tapus and null did (they did create null right?). Ideally I feel like everything from here is like maybe a 3 parter or more as it's going to explore Nebby's powers of being an asshole next episode then going to the AF which imo is a plan to try and coax Ash into getting Nebby.

Ash for ash getting Nebby, it makes sense when you consider Lillie has a general fear of Pokemon, her whole story is going to be overcoming her past trauma, eventually dealing with her mother etc and hence the forthcoming outfit change to show her attitude change. Also Nebby may also deal a lot with her, Ash in this scenario seems to be the Champion to protect Alola in some way or form.

I kinda had a feeling that Ash was going to get Nebby, so I wasn't too surprised to see this happen.

They changed Lillie's character so much from how she is in the anime, it wouldn't really make sense to have Nebby be with her. And honestly, now that I watched this eppy, I have a feeling that Lillie's personality change was deliberate so they'd have an excuse to give Nebby to Ash. I mean who knows when Lillie will make it to a point where she can touch another Pokemon again? We haven't seen any progress in that area since their visit with Olivia when she was able to finally get onto the Stoutland.

But, anyway, I did like this episode. It was funny as heck the classmates trying to get Nebby to calm down and stop crying. And, just like the aforementioned personality change with Lillie, so too it seems like Lusamine might end up being the opposite of the way she's portrayed in the games. I guess time will tell.

I wonder if that cute smile exchange between Kukui & Burnett means that they enjoy keeping the fact that they're married a secret from most people. I would imagine that Lusamine would know, if she and Burnett are friends. Honestly, I think at this point, I'd be more ticked off if the writers keep Kukui & Burnett from being a married couple, than I am at the changes with the Nebby storyline.

From the half assed subs I saw so far, seems that Lusamine is a bit controlling but she pretends not to know it. Example being proud that Lillie is smart and glad she sent her to school but Lillie retorts that she chose to go to the school and Lusamine plays it off as she couldn't remember. Also Lillie was angry about the evolution because she wanted it to stay as is because it was cute and she wanted it to grow as such. Her mother on the other hand didn't see logic in it and evolved it plus she said it was her Pokemon. So the control is there but we need to see the evil side come out.

Its critic time, kinda
I say this episode is pretty cheesy and fun, gotta be honest this was better than the fanservice episodes imo
Positives:
- The comedy was spot on today, especially Ash's companions and Nebby part
- The Nebby arc is probably going to start, about time the SM anime gets some good action
- Really it's a fun filler episode, I enjoyed it so much and IDK why

Cons:
- Ash having Nebby. Currently a hot topic in this thread. I felt like it would have been better for Lillie to have it, mainly because it could help with her character development even more (remember, she can't touch all Pokemon yet (I think)) and also give her a stronger stand against Lusamine in the obvious UB climax, kinda mirroring the game. XYZ has proven that Ash doesn't have to get everything good, Bonnie was a great caretaker for Squishy and is technically the one who saved Kalos. I dislike how it's going back to the original, "Ash is the chosen one"-ish theme that's becoming pretty cliche (but what do I expect, he is the main character).
- I feel like the UB arc is going to be a huge downgrade from the XYZ arc, mainly because 1. the less serious art design may affect it, 2. It seems like Ash and possibly Lillie are going to have huge roles in this arc, compared to Ash's other companions, since most of them are just there for extra content (as of now, this may change in the future), and 3. How would the creators top the badass, dark XYZ climax with the UB one? They probably can, but judging by this arc's direction I highly doubt it.

Overall, I give this a 9/10. Probably the highest I'll ever give an episode.

I quite like that Satoshi got Hoshigumo-chan. After Masato, Haruka and Eureka have all gotten to take care and help raise a Legendary/Mythical Pokemon at some point I think it's about time Satoshi got a chance.

To those who are complaining that this is leaving Lilie with one less game-story... I think between her fear of Pokemon and relationships with brother and mother, she's got plenty to keep her covered for the rest of the series.

To those who are complaining that this is leaving Lilie with one less game-story... I think between her fear of Pokemon and relationships with brother and mother, she's got plenty to keep her covered for the rest of the series.
I honestly think Lillie doesn't have enough, since her fear of Pokemon is almost over, her brother's relationship isn't too important and elaborated, and she and Lusamine's relationship just starting. She's kinda weakly developed imo, just like everyone else in this arc so far. (Except Lana. Her development is good)

I disagree, because Nebby was never that important to Lillie to begin with. .

I disagree entirely. Nearly everything Lillie did in the games revolved around Nebby. Even when Lusamine did come into the picture her focus was still on finding out how to help Nebby as well as her mother.

My guess is that he either learned it in school off screen or it's just like that sort of dream where you know something you shouldn't seeing as they chose him to be their protector.

I actually don't find their appearance was rushed seeing as they have been searching for Nebby and hence picked up on the same thing the tapus and null did (they did create null right?). Ideally I feel like everything from here is like maybe a 3 parter or more as it's going to explore Nebby's powers of being an asshole next episode then going to the AF which imo is a plan to try and coax Ash into getting Nebby.

Ash for ash getting Nebby, it makes sense when you consider Lillie has a general fear of Pokemon, her whole story is going to be overcoming her past trauma, eventually dealing with her mother etc and hence the forthcoming outfit change to show her attitude change. Also Nebby may also deal a lot with her, Ash in this scenario seems to be the Champion to protect Alola in some way or form.

It just seemed like way too much stuff was going on for my tastes and the episode felt a bit weirdly paced as a result. I suppose we can agree to disagree on that.

Also, I disagree with Lillie's Pokemon fear being a reason for her to not find Nebby. That would have actually been a great opportunity to continue to get over her Pokemon fear by finding Cosmog and taking care of it in an effort to get past the trauma imo.

I disagree entirely. Nearly everything Lillie did in the games revolved around Nebby. Even when Lusamine did come into the picture her focus was still on finding out how to help Nebby as well as her mother.

It just seemed like way too much stuff was going on for my tastes and the episode felt a bit weirdly paced as a result. I suppose we can agree to disagree on that.

Also, I disagree with Lillie's Pokemon fear being a reason for her to not find Nebby. That would have actually been a great opportunity to continue to get over her Pokemon fear by finding Cosmog and taking care of it in an effort to get past the trauma imo.

Well agreeing to disagree is good enough for me :D. As for Lillie's fear, based on the upcoming episodes we'd see what really is the reason. She'd be taking care of it with Ash anyways I'm guessing so I don't really have an issue with it per say and this was also being built up to since Tapu Koko chose Ash in the first two episodes.

The reason Lillie ran away from Lusamine, went to Kukui, then visited all the other Tapu caves was to help Nebby and find his home/find out his origin.

It's the player character than influenced her to become Z-Lillie, because we(as players) always impressed her with our bravery, battling, indepence in clothing and etc.

So saying Nebby didn't play a big part in Lillie's story is just funny, dude

This is the first time that I started watching the anime before playing the game its connected to, and in many ways, I'm happy that I hadn't.

Its the first time that every event and every character feels brand new to me.

That being said, this is my favorite episode of the season so far. Lillie got so much development personality-wise here, in the presence of her mother. I love that even Satoshi notices the energy jump difference when her parent is in their vicinity. Speaking of which, Lillie is apparently the queen of name giving. This is the second Pokemon she named. At least, I think this is.

Sun and Moon is the season where its constantly acknowledging previous seasons and movies, much like DP did. Its pretty much canon that legendary Pokemon speak to Satoshi even through his dreams, most likely because he's most sensitive to them. With the Lucario movie and DP behind us, it is confirmed that he is an aura bearer and can feel auras even if he can't actual control it or use it. While most others never see or feel the presence of a legendary Pokemon, Satoshi has been seen to be able to do that since season one. Because of that, I'm happy that it was Satoshi that had the dream and was asked to keep the promise of protecting Nebby.

The episode was really well done.

Something Sun and Moon has better than anyone is an amazing understanding of their characters and how they react in situations. The writers are fantastic this season. Kiawe trying to calm Nebby with the loudest, worst singing was great then surprised because it used to work on his sister was fantastic.

Sophocles wanting to name Nebby after food instead was fitting to his character, and they make it cute and charming.

Mao being the only one to calm Nebby fit her so well.

I can see this group being one that'll grow attached to Nebby in different ways. They'll probably all have different kinds of relationships with it.

Litten waking up Satoshi was another great part.

The way Kakui smiles when he mentions his wife or sees her is an amazing character trait. Of course, it makes sense to me now because someone already wrote it in their review since I haven't played the game yet.

The other major reason it makes sense that Satoshi would get Nebby is because his character is cared by Kakui, the professor who is married to the one researching UB. Lillie is living somewhere completely different than her in-game counterpart.

All in all, a fantastic set up episode that actually didn't feel like it was just there for setting up.

They are two different characters, yes, but they still should have given Nebby to Lilie. I can't speak for others but it's less a problem that they aren't recreating the game's story 100% faithfully but that they took a Pokemon that is strongly tied to one character and instead of using it to give her anime equivalent more depth they are giving it to the one character who really doesn't need another "chosen one" narrative.

And before anyone comes at me with the whole "well you don't know what's going to happen in the future" let me repeat for the billionth time that yes, it could change later, Nebby could become significant to Lilie's story, but for the time being I am not too thrilled with how they seem to be going about it.

Lillie is going to have plenty of time to develop. Development for characters is not always just their first issue shown to the show nor does it require for them to have a particular Pokemon to have a great story or development.

Sun and Moon has done an excellent job incorporating everyone and not making a single person seem Sue-ish at all. The Nebby arc has literally just begun. We haven't scratched the surface.

Complaining about her storyline this early is no different than complaining and writing a review about a movie that you haven't seen because your favorite scene from the book is not included in the trailer.

The entire cast is developing, many ways that are subtle. I understand being frustrated, but sometimes, fans take anger out in the most ridiculous ways. Its like we look for reasons to be upset.

Did the cast list have Turtonator included in this episode? Well, I'm not sure. Kiawe's Marowak does appear, but his Turtonator not. Then why is it added in the page even though Turtonator's absent? Can someone change it asap? It bothers me...

Nebby may have been more of an immediate subject at times, true, but Nebby was really just a metaphor, everything Lillie did was because of her "strained" relationship with her mother, the actions her mother did and could potential do and that Lillie could no longer standby and ignore it.

This might sound weird because I'm not trying to make game Lillie sound negative but here goes; I don't believe, that in the purest sense Lillie was helping Nebby for Nebby's sake. I know it sounds weird and contradictory if you follow the thought that Lillie was protecting it from her mother but look at the circumstances, its quite clear that the only reason Lillie and Nebby are a thing, is most definitely a result of a boiling point (expression, not literally}, or basically the last straw because of her mother.

Nebby was convenience, it was Nebby that caused Lillie to snap based on her mother's actions. I'm not saying Lillie didn't develop a bond with Nebby but I do believe that Nebby could've easily been any other Pokemon. I doubt Nebby had any importance to Lillie like Lusamine or rather that Lillie had any reason to believe that Nebby was important (at the time} to protect outside of, in the moment rescuing an 'experiment' and trying to take it home, but not in the sense of finding a lost puppy. but rather finding an abused puppy. It wasn't about returning a lost animal. but protecting an animal from the abusive direct actions of someone else. Lillie didn't take action for pure benefit of Nebby but to protect it from direct harm caused by someone.

It's kind of like seeing a normal healthy (and I say that importantly) animal and while noticing it, you ultimately move on and let it go its own way, but if you see someone kicking it, that doesn't end when that other someone is no longer there, people tend to go out of their way to make sure the animal is safe and sound, at its home, and comfortable, while in most other non important cases, if an animal is minding its own business, people will mind their own business.

So what I'm saying, that in the case of Nebby, it wasn't Nebby purely for Nebby's sake but rather a triggering need to protect this Pokemon to behind the normal.As such Nebby wasn't the focus but rather it was what Lusamine did to Nebby that was the focus.

But okay, disagree with me, you have every right to, but Lillie isn't defined by Nebby like Ash is defined by Pikachu.

Lillie and Nebby are wholly coincidence and ultimately Nebby is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and to suggest that Lillie can only (or largely) be defined by Nebby is quite frankly insulting to her character. It should be Lillie's actions and personality that define her not Nebby.

But even if somehow, you still disagree, THAT important context you would disagree with me, just doesn't exist in the anime, and I'm pretty sure that's fact not opinion. In the anime Nebby clearly didn't exist until now (if it did, it was obviously not documented at all), it was quite clear game Nebby existed prior to the player character.

So how I ask, was Lillie supposed to have this "important" relationship with a Pokemon she didn't even know existed, let alone why would Solgaleo or Lunala put their faith in Lillie (over Ash) when "Nebby" has nothing to do with Lusamine. All while not coming off as completely forced?

I understand if you believe Lillie wasn't properly adapted, fine I can't really argue against that (agree to disagree) but to say that anime Lillie should have Nebby because solely a game plot, when it contextually makes no sense with the way the anime was written, is simple as that, doesn't make sense

Sure the favoritism towards Ash, I can understand is distasteful (I disagree but understand) but unless we get a completely comparably equal character, it wouldn't make sense for it not be Ash in his series unless it happens by pure coincidence of events like Bonnie and Puni-chan.

Could the writer's have written a way for Lillie to have Nebby? Absolutely, assuming that Nebby's role isn't what I think it will be, which I think will be used as a battling Pokemon, which I do think requires a trainer like Ash and not like a protective Pokemon like Zygarde. Maybe Solgaleo/Lunala can only fight and defeat the ultra beasts when a trainer brings out their full potential, which really can't be Lillie, and even game Lillie agrees as she gave Nebby to the player character because Nebby outgrew what Lillie was capable of providing to Nebby.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom