• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM046: The Shapeshifting Metamon, Find that 'mon!

This is really minor, but this shot of Ash stood out quite a bit to me:
keNqX0z.png

I guess it's become rare to see detailed shadowing in this artstyle.

Ehhhh this one was alright I guess. Besides a lot of stuff involving some of the Aether members this one didn't really stick out to me all that much. Certainly not the worst episode but probably the weakest one involving Aether so far.

Next Week: We learn Lycanroc hates getting dirty and Gladion's back, yippee!

I didnt write a review last week even though I I'd seen it the next day. I quite enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything special.

This week, though, I liked the episode much more and its giving a bigger taste of things to come.

This and the previous episode are doing extremely well with developing Lillie. The last three episodes have been really making her a well-rounded character.

While there wasn't much going on in this episode, we got to see a lot more into Aether, TR's role develop, and Lusamine with her daughter.

More than any other season, characterizations are so good for everyone. From Lusamine to the people working for her, Rocket Gang (their reaction to Lillie talking about her mother), Satoshi and his reaction when his Pokemon was thrown out... And everyone in between.

tumblr_oy2q6sth7V1rxenr3o1_540.gif

Bonus points for owning an Ice type Pokemon. And Lillie, your Lusamine is showing... :whistle:

This scene is so great! Her reaction in her eyes say, "Do I look like I care about your chocolate cake, little boy?"

Sun and Moon has the distinction of being able to make each character separate from one another and likable. Its also doing a fantastic job with foreshadowing throughout this series. This is the onr season where I feel like the writers not only pay attention to little inklets of details for the current series but also for the show as a whole.

This episode brought about more questions than answers, but thats a good thing. I am also interested to know what Team Rocket's role is going to be now since they're obviously going to be more important as this series progresses.

Watching the episode with subs, things what they said is cleared up.
  1. Faba offered Jessie, James, and Meowth a better paying job and hired them at the Aether Paradise as his underlings.
  2. I find this line funny when Ash catches Nebby quickly going into the bowl of sugar stars. "Hay! If you eat too many at once, you'll get a stomachache!
  3. The reason why Lillie is upset with Lusamine while everyone is eating cakes and candy is because Lusamine wants Lillie to tell her about what's it's like in the school, and Lillie tells her that she promised her to show her show everyone around, not talk while Lusamine is working. Lusamine said that she'll do it after they talked, when a phone rings and Lusamine has trouble figuring out which one, Lillie had it and decides to show everyone around instead.
  4. In the elevator, Lillie tells Mallow that it's unfair that she has to cater to Lusamine's needs all the time.
  5. The reason why they're giving the ditto shots is because they're vaccinating them.
  6. After everyone except Team Rocket and Lusamine had managed to catch the Ditto, give it a shot, and put it into a carrier, Lusamine came into the room. Lillie tells her that she was too late and that they caught it, Lusamine miss took what Lillie said and thought that Lillie has "caught" it as in getting it into a pokeball and started squeeze hugging her, embarrassing Lillie in front of her friends, but they quietly laughed.
  7. Faba frustratedly left the room to head to the basement, he states that it's a problem that Lillie is starting to touch Pokemon again, and that it's going to be trouble if something happened that remind her of what happened in the past. Looks like this is a foreshadow of what happened to Lillie in the past.
  8. The part where Team Rocket finds a lab and goes inside in search of Nebby, they find papers with information about Type: Null, they just repeat things we already know.
  9. The reason why Jessie, James, Meowth, and Faba are laughing at the end is because Team Rocket stated that they "saw nothing" after they pointed to Nebby who briefly appeared next to Faba. Faba looks and didn't see Nebby after it teleported, and kind of figured that they're after Nebby like he is.
Hope that this clears it up for people

Well this episode certainly surprised me. I was sure I'd find it boring, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the beginning bit where Snowy was sleeping with Lillie's PokeDoll. I' also glad that Lillie was writing about Nebby in a journal, similar to the games. Now let's just have her interact with Nebby more. :D

Glad we finally got to see the Aether Foundation. LMAO at Faba so desperately trying to get to Nebby. I lol'd when he tossed the bird and then shrugged it off like it was nothing. I'll say it again, I love Faba in the show. :D

I do not love the fact that TR is working in the Aether Foundation, however. They already had them interfere with Team Skull for no reason, now they're shoving them into the damn Aether Foundation for no reason. Geez writers, stop ruining the best elements of Sun and Moon by throwing TR into them.

I wonder if Lusamine constantly having to answer phone calls is going to be a gag. Idk why, but I can already see that happening. Anyway, I died laughing at Lillie scaring Sophocles. Girl can be fierce when she wants to. The part where Steenee was hanging out with those Bounsweet was really cute, as was Burnet's Munchlax eating the seaweed that was stuck to their bodies when they emerged from the water.

Holy crap it's a STUFFUL. This episode is amazing. :p

It's funny how I totally forgot that this episode was actually supposed to focus on the Ditto. It was nice that they actually divided the episode so that we could focus on Aether, then do the funny shenanigans with Ditto. And speaking of Ditto, I thought their reactions to getting their shots were so funny. And LOL at Ash tackling the Ditto Snowy.

So overall,this episode had a lot of great moments. The only thing I didn't like (aside from TR) was honestly Nebby. He was just a gag to teleport and steal food which never amounted to anything. It seemed so pointless. He literally may as well have just stayed in Ash's bag the entire episode. I'm also pretty stunned that no one on the cast ever noticed that he was missing... I'll give this episode a 7/10. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was.

It's been getting harder and harder for me to understand what's going on lately... I guess I'm going to need subs now, but that's a good indication that there's more substance to these episodes.

Regardless, I really enjoyed this episode. I don't think there was any problem with the pacing, because if the shenaningans with Ditto had started earlier it'd feel like it was being dragged on longer than necessary. I think this was meant to serve much more as an introduction to Aether Foundation than an episode about Ditto, and it did it pretty well. It also gave us a much needed, deeper look at Lusamine and the others than SM044.

Ash, understandably, got pretty angry when Faba threw Rowlett. I'm glad this happened, because I had expected him to be simply confused or just midly annoyed, based on his characterization in this series (kinda like how he barely got angry whenever Trip insulted him back in BW). Despite all this, there's still something that prevents me from finding Faba dislikeable...?

I wish I could comment more on what's going on with Team Rocket but, again, I can't understand much. I'm not sure if they're teaming with Faba and are up to something together, or if Faba just wanted to have them as employees and isn't aware that they're trying to steal Nebby. In any case, this looks pretty promising. I wouldn't mind if things end up as Rocket vs. Aether, but I do hope it takes a different route than a rivalry like the previous three organizations.

Also, 10/10 unexpected death stare:
tumblr_oy2q6sth7V1rxenr3o1_540.gif

(Again, I wish I knew what's going on there)

Mount Lanakila hint, am I right?

Also, for this episode still nothing happened except only for filler humour part. Except for the ending, where the sinister plot from Faba and Team Rocket evil scheme. I presumably there going to capture Nebby to open up the Ultra Wormhole to draw all the Ultra Beasts to Alola for the took over of the region. Which is what I very anticipated. If not, I don't know what is.

I think this episode confirms why Faba is not in charge. He's both not smart enough (despite being very intelligent) and does not know how to put on a mask when dealing with others.

There's a reason why Lusamine is the face of the organization.

Lilie is unable to touch Metamon, even though she think it's Shiron and there is no reason for her to afraid of it. Between this and what Zaobo/Sauboh said about her, it's implied that source of Lilie's "fear" is not natural.

Finally saw the proper subs, based on what Faba said about Lillie being able to touch Pokemon being a problem, it has me intrigued. I am starting to think that she found him doing experiments on Null, most likely before he had the mask on and he attacked her which in turn traumatized her. I am also starting to believe that Lusamine is not bad as yet but it may change, she shows way too much affection for it to be fake or at least it would seem out of place to explain it. Could also tell most of Lillie's angst towards her mother is that she works too hard and has no time for her and much less to do with her being controlling. Her story is sure getting good to the point missing battles does not concern me as much for it.

The best parts of this episode for me were the ones that didn't involve Ditto, interestingly enough. I honestly could've fully enjoyed this episode without that plot. Just found that funny since that's what the title was based off of and I suppose they intended to be the main plotline. But really, it was just about everything else in the episode that caught my attention and kept my interest.

I hate Faba, but in a good way? Like he's not a bad character in the sense he annoys me. I think he has a sucky attitude and a heinous personality, but that makes him an interesting character to me. It's kind of refreshing to see a character who's so blatantly terrible, personality and intentions wise. Him trying to swipe Nebby and getting Rowlet instead, and in turn throwing the poor bird, was so awful but really kind of entertaining at the same time, especially since he showed literally no remorse for it.

The subtle nuisances of Lillie and Lusamine's relationship that were kind of established two episodes ago were further expanded upon a bit here, which I really liked. I don't want them to reveal too much all at once, so I like that we seem to be getting little bits at a time that still further the existing tension. So last time, we got to see that Lusamine is kind of self-centered and doesn't much take her daughter's feelings into consideration. This time, we see that again (Lusamine invited Lillie and her friend to Aether Paradise under the guise of a tour, but in reality, she just wanted an opportunity to see them and ask about Lillie, which she caught onto right away and took the tour upon herself) in addition to Lusamine being the stereotypically "always working" parent who is so focused on work that she pretty much neglects her kid, even when she herself invited her to Aether Paradise. So right now, I'm just really impressed with how this whole relationship is being written and portrayed. It's one of the stronger and more convincing pieces of writing to come out of this show in a while, in my opinion. I'm just fascinated by the whole thing.

Ditto escaping and disguising itself as other Pokémon was...just that. It was easily the least entertaining part of the episode. I do relate strongly to the "making weird, agitated noises while getting a shot" scene after the Ditto's capture, though. That was funny.

It's interesting that Team Rocket saw the paperwork in Faba's lab, and that he doesn't realize they saw it. I like when they include Team Rocket in this capacity. Now they pretty much know something's up (more than any of the other characters at this point, really) so I'm interested to see where this leads and what they do with the information they saw.

Also, I love how they flaunt Lusamine's wealth. Lady's got like 2 or 3 mansions they've already either shown or discussed, and at least 2 separate cell phones. She may be crazy, but she's got it going on.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom