• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM049: Lilie and Silvady, the Resurrected Memory!

Well, it is Nintedo who decided they are an evolution, instead of a form change after all.
so its stupid evolution form then

it should be stated that it was evolution form

it Was more like hold back form that it was mask form that hides its true power

Now that I've seen the episode with the complete subs:

~Gladion is a bit hypocritical with his mother. He condemns her for having interest in Ultra Beasts, enraged that one of their ilk nearly kidnapped Lillie into Ultra Space and is the reason Lillie gained a phobia of touching Pokemon. However, Lusamine didn't know. No one told her, out of the three who witnessed the event: Lillie suppressed the memory, Faba clearly didn't want to inform her for his own reasons...which leaves Gladion. Why didn't he tell his mom? After all these years? Knowing full well Faba wouldn't come out with the truth and Lillie couldn't recall it? I would have clapped back so hard, his other eye would cease to be obscured by hair.

He also criticizes Faba for stealing Type: Null when he himself, did in fact, steal Type: Null first. No matter the circumstances for his actions, he still stole something that didn't belong to him. Thus I wish he would have reworded that differently. All I heard was "He stole what I stole!"

Lastly, he was a too harsh on Ash. Ash had every right to blame Nebby, because it was Nebby's fault. Ash didn't even know what Lillie was thinking about to begin with, let alone be able to catch Nebby pre-Teleportation. My goodness, Gladion. But I guess that part does reflect his impulses from the games...

I don't know. He may seem cool, but I don't like these entitled shortcomings that the writers are giving him.

~I also don't like how Faba is setting up to be the main villain. It just seems too easy and predictable. Let's make the old man who doesn't like children and has no qualms violating said children with his Pokemon, the main antagonist. The fact he slouched away made it all the more harder to swallow-Silvally should have pinned his geriatric ass down.

Which brings me to the Hypnosis. That was...scarily competent. I was impressed but also sickened at the same time-his behavior was too predatory with Lillie imo.

Team Rocket apparently think that certain evils are better than other evils. Well, that's nice to know.

It really feels like Lusamine may not be evil. I was skeptical at first, but her interactions are becoming more and more genuine. The worst quality about her is that she seems to have become a workaholic and somewhat neglectful. But nothing skin to the games. Of course, that all remains to be seen.

~Rotom-Dex is as useless as ever. What if Gladion hadn't been there? Do you forget, you are a Pokemon, too, Rotom?

"Satoshi, daijōbudesuka?!" x2

Wtf do you think?

~Lillie getting over her trauma was nice to see. I appreciate the direction the anime went with it and after 50 episodes, the climax is appreciated. Now her development can continue and have her possibly start doing more things as an active Pokemon Trainer. Silvally coming to her rescue, both in the past and present, was also pretty great! It returning to its Silvally status with Gladion's theme was gorgeous-I wish it would have been longer.

~I needed Snowball to attempt to freeze Faba at least once.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode! Lusamine vs Faba should be great.

Some are still convinced that anime Lusamine is evil, but I think they'll try to go with her portrayal in USUM, so it depends on that. And from what we know so far, she may not be the villain now. Or at the very least, not the main one.

In any case, this was a really great episode, although I've been worried sick about the pace during this whole arc. I mean, even with two pseudo-filler episodes it feels like everything is going on too fast! There were some plotholes involving Faba and Gladio's actions, but I wonder if at least some of those will be explained later.

The Team Rocket scene was pretty nice and really in-character for them. They've been put through a lot during their childhoods for them to become who they are, yet they're actually pretty proud of their current selves. It'd been nice for them to make a nod to this instead of just rambling about cake and candles, but we all know how this anime works when it comes to these stuff.

their might be chance she could be the main villain but being controlled by ultra beast or possible Faba by using Hypnotic power from Hypno on her or she truly evil hoping what ever her pain was in the game will be quite similar for the show and in the game she was very good actor until her true role had shown

The Team Rocket scene was pretty nice and really in-character for them. They've been put through a lot during their childhoods for them to become who they are, yet they're actually pretty proud of their current selves. It'd been nice for them to make a nod to this instead of just rambling about cake and candles, but we all know how this anime works when it comes to these stuff.
Whilst I would have loved that, it would have been a pretty out-of-character thing to do.

Each member of the TRio has always been fairly reserved about their history:
- Kojirou least of all, but only after his family background was revealed against his will to Musashi and Nyasu (who had no idea prior to this!)
- Nyasu also didn't tell his story to Musashi and Kojirou voluntarily...
- WE still don't know Musashi's background, really. What we have is a few titbits she has revealed to her friends, alluding to the fact she was poor, lonely and unhappy, a few internal flashbacks alluding to the same, and Miyamoto's story from the CD drama 20 years ago.

I cannot imagine any of them divulging their souls to Sauboh. What they said to him was enough for those of us who have followed their characters closely enough to know what they really meant.

As much as I would like to think she'd be bad, at this point making her randomly evil won't be a plot twist but more in line with bad writing. They've left no clue she can be bad but left tons that she's a genuinely good person to the point where being evil and hiding it would make no sense. A few examples off the top of my head would be:-
1. Gladion telling her she wanted to see an UB since she was a kid, not driven to it by grief over Mohn.
2. Clearly Mohn's already gone when they were kids in flashbacks and Lusamine showers them with love.
3. She may be a hard worker and in turn a careless mother but it's not out of ill intent as she spends so much tim admiring her children, she genuinely loves them imo.

Bad and good people can have bad or good traits. Terrible people can still love someone deeply but hide their darkness.

Its too early to say it would be bad writing. Lusamine's story has barely begun. We don't know much about her to say that if a future development happens that it would be bad writing.

A good example of this would be characters like Nygma from Gotham. He starts off as clearly a dorky good guy with a crush on a place in his workplace. He works for the police and while an oddball, there isn't anything initially that would make you call him a bad guy.

Things change and come to a climax much later on, and this character falls from grace. Just because a character starts off as a good guy, its not bad writing (if developed well) to change their course.

Every character they've shown on Sun and Moon has been multi-faceted and full of personality and not based off of one simple quality.

If bad guys like Team Rocket can have a good side, why can't a person like Lusamine have more than one side to her outside of her love for her children?

Bad and good people can have bad or good traits. Terrible people can still love someone deeply but hide their darkness.

Its too early to say it would be bad writing. Lusamine's story has barely begun. We don't know much about her to say that if a future development happens that it would be bad writing.

A good example of this would be characters like Nygma from Gotham. He starts off as clearly a dorky good guy with a crush on a place in his workplace. He works for the police and while an oddball, there isn't anything initially that would make you call him a bad guy.

Things change and come to a climax much later on, and this character falls from grace. Just because a character starts off as a good guy, its not bad writing (if developed well) to change their course.

Every character they've shown on Sun and Moon has been multi-faceted and full of personality and not based off of one simple quality.

If bad guys like Team Rocket can have a good side, why can't a person like Lusamine have more than one side to her outside of her love for her children?

Maybe but so far Lusamine doesn't just have good intentions, she's pure, nearly innocent in her portrayal. There is nothing shown that gives her a reason to be evil naturally. Any excuse the game version had is already out the window.
The reason why imo it will be poor writing is that there is no natural way for her to be evil here. The only road they have is having Nihilego corrupt her but even in that aspect, Nihilego fed off her pain of losing Mohn and she already showed signs of going crazy before her first encounter. This Lusamine is happy with her children, she may be a hard working mother and make mistakes but her love is genuine.
What I'm saying is that I think she will be 'evil' but not in the way she was in the game where she was the main villain. She's just gonna be a pawn of Nihilego and Faba at most.

TRio always had a good side btw, there are moral boundaries they never cross since OS. Once they sympathize with a situation they will always take the good side and it's not comparable to Lusamine because as I said above, every logical reason she had to have some anger at the world was shown not to change her.

As for characters being full of personality in SM, all I see different is maybe more exaggerated faces but they are not any more colorful than any past companions. The only quality they all share is that life is simple on an island so they have nothing much to worry about.

Maybe but so far Lusamine doesn't just have good intentions, she's pure, nearly innocent in her portrayal. There is nothing shown that gives her a reason to be evil naturally. Any excuse the game version had is already out the window.
The reason why imo it will be poor writing is that there is no natural way for her to be evil here. The only road they have is having Nihilego corrupt her but even in that aspect, Nihilego fed off her pain of losing Mohn and she already showed signs of going crazy before her first encounter. This Lusamine is happy with her children, she may be a hard working mother and make mistakes but her love is genuine.
What I'm saying is that I think she will be 'evil' but not in the way she was in the game where she was the main villain. She's just gonna be a pawn of Nihilego and Faba at most.

TRio always had a good side btw, there are moral boundaries they never cross since OS. Once they sympathize with a situation they will always take the good side and it's not comparable to Lusamine because as I said above, every logical reason she had to have some anger at the world was shown not to change her.

As for characters being full of personality in SM, all I see different is maybe more exaggerated faces but they are not any more colorful than any past companions. The only quality they all share is that life is simple on an island so they have nothing much to worry about.

We are barely 4 or 5 episodes into her character arc. If we could tell how someone would be developed in just that long, this series would be the least developed long running series I've ever seen.

While Pokemon, as a series, is not known for its deep and complex storylines. The series has always had layered characters that changed as the series progresses. This has included its Pokemon to its humans. Relationships changes all the time and so do events around the casts.

Who's to say that another character can't be killed off, like Lillie or Gladion?

Yes, TR has always had a good side, and as they said, they fight for "righteous evil." They believe in what doing. For them, though, it might be because joining the Rocket Gang brought them together and gave them a family.

Anything can really happen, and I'm excited for it.

This was a great episode. I like how there was action and development going on the entire way through. I really like how Gladion met up with Faba at the hotel he chills at in Sun and Moon. I also enjoyed seeing Gladion super overprotective of Lillie throughout the episode, getting pissed at Ash for ever allowing her to see Silvally and going as far as to yell at Lusamine so he could save her.

The moments of Lillie remembering happy times with her family was super cute. The theme of good vs. bad memories that went on in this episode was really nice, and this scene really emphasized that. Then on the other end, the scene were Lillie finally fully remembered Silvally "attacking" her and realized it actually saved her really helped bring everything home. What she thought was a bad memory she never wanted to remember ended up being a great memory that allowed her to break free of the fears that have been holding her back for so long. And that was great.

Lastly, I love how they also included the most important memory, Silvally's Dark Memory for its ability. (I totally forgot these things were called Memories and found my self geeking out at how this all truly fit together perfectly.) It was really great to see how they presented that in the anime. Looks really cool.

Overall this was a great episode. The only parts I disliked were TR taking up time that they didn't need to take up, and Ash's rock mutt attacking poor Litten. I mean seriously, how does that big ugly mutant mutt think attacking a much smaller kitten with a type disadvantage is in any way a fair fight? Ugh, I hate that thing. But minus those two things, this episode was nice. 8/10.

~Rotom-Dex is as useless as ever. What if Gladion hadn't been there? Do you forget, you are a Pokemon, too, Rotom?

Isn't it because Rotom lost the ability to fight due to entering the Pokedex? If he was to fight, he'd have to leave the Pokedex, and due to Ash being unable to hold onto it at the time, that's not exactly a good idea since it'll likely get damaged from the fall. I am surprised there hasn't been an episode about this yet, though - they've already established multiple times he's still considered a Pokemon, but not if he can fight or not.

What exactly is Rotomdex? Is it a pokemon that talking through the dex, or an AI powered-up by a Rotom, or both? It's really ambigious.

Isn't it because Rotom lost the ability to fight due to entering the Pokedex? If he was to fight, he'd have to leave the Pokedex, and due to Ash being unable to hold onto it at the time, that's not exactly a good idea since it'll likely get damaged from the fall. I am surprised there hasn't been an episode about this yet, though - they've already established multiple times he's still considered a Pokemon, but not if he can fight or not.
Yes he would have to leave the Pokedex, but what's a (potentially) broken device (that can be repaired) to the lives of children and Pokemon? I certainly would have no qualms if Rotom had to break his Pokedex to save my life. I see your point, but I don't feel as if it is a strong enough reason.

And if he was really concerned about the Pokedex, he could have simply laid on the ground and then exited the device, to avoid it falling from mid-air.

A question for the mods and such-shouldn't Gladion's Umbreon be updated to reflect that it indeed knows Shadow Ball? He explicitly commanded usage of the move and Umbreon (albeit partially interrupted), performed it. Silvally's Multi Attack was updated in its character box, but not Umbreon's Shadow Ball.

Man was this a good episode. I really enjoyed seeing the dynamics between Lillie, Gladion, Lusamine, and Faba.

It's honestly very sweet how much Gladion cares for Lillie. I know Lusamine's portrayal (at least so far) has been pretty different from the games, but I'm still enjoying it. I find her to be an interesting character. Also, Faba is an absolute creep. We already knew that, but damn if this episode doesn't just cement it. I actually gasped when he grabbed Lillie and started dragging her away to try and erase her memories.

In addition, Team Rocket turning down Faba's request prior to that and saying they don't do "evil evil" stuff (just "righteous evil") was such a nice moment for them. I absolutely love it when Team Rocket gets to act as more than just the villains, and show off the different layers of their personalities. They might be showing up less in SM, but their portrayal and characterization has more than made up for it, IMO.

The flashbacks to Lillie's childhood courtesy of Nebby were very sweet. That was probably my favorite part of the episode. I really like getting to learn more about the human characters, especially their pasts. This was a great way for us as viewers to not only learn more about Lillie, but as a way for her to remember exactly what happened in the past and why she became afraid to touch Pokémon.

Ash was also great this episode. They did a nice job combining his goofiness (i.e. imitating Gladion yelling at him) and his bravery (fighting Faba) without going too over the top with either. It really felt like classic Ash!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom