• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM054: Shine, Z-Power Ring! Super Full-Force 10,000,000 Volts!!

That was so sad, I cried and cried. Lusamine is finally free from Nihilego, everything is going to be fine right now.

However, this is only just the beginning. In which more and more Ultra Beasts is going to appear from now onward to the end of the series. My guess, next will be Guzzlord in the flashback by Nanu and then in present. In his back story, before he become Island Kahuna.

Also, I agree with you. This is very sad and touching episode. Hope, more of this can occurred in the future episode.

So, basically Satoshi just defeated everyone with some deus ex machina while others fail.
Nihilego is the main villain of SM, I guess?
Kiteruguma waited for no reason after all.
Did Mamane just found a Vevenom egg shard?

Last edited:
Did the ending theme get updated to show Ash's Z-powered Ring instead of his Z-ring? I think this change was updated in SM052. But Lillie didn't get updated at all to her Z-Powered Form because this outfit was used for rescuing Lusamine and she won't be wearing it until next adventure.

The episode was so-so.

I liked how Gladion was like "Screw my sister's power of love, I'm gonna kill that cat". Oh the other hand, Mallow & the others' battle was very poorly choreographed, I didn't feel any tension or danger.

Everything was resolved with a Deux ex Machina, but that was to be expected after seeing the episode title. At least we got some nice heartwarming moments with the family.

How is what looks to be a powerful a deus-ex-machina? Did any other Z-Moves hit, yet looked to not be effective? Because if not, it's not a deus-ex-machina. Sometimes powerful attacks are powerful attacks and that's usually how Pokemon win battles.

How is what looks to be a powerful a deus-ex-machina? Did any other Z-Moves hit, yet looked to not be effective? Because if not, it's not a deus-ex-machina. Sometimes powerful attacks are powerful attacks and that's usually how Pokemon win battles.

It's not a DEM because it solved everything, it's a DEM because it appeared out of nowhere.

It's not a DEM because it solved everything, it's a DEM because it appeared out of nowhere.
Fair enough, but that's because he's Ash. I'm sure a Legendary had something to do with it, because he's the main character and they see him as special, just like how Tapu Koko gave Ash an Electrium Z upon first meeting him. Plus, I'd say it's fair, considering how strong that Ultra Beast was, the fact that it fused with a human and the fact that all of Lusamine's Pokemon had a strength increase.

At least Ash got a beating for trying to play hero before Lillie and Gladion came over to help with battling Nihilego and rescuing Lusamine. Though I wish that the rest of the classmates come over as well, but at least they're keeping the Pokemon they're battling busy. I like the Ash and Pikachu only z-move a lot more then the Ashgreninja thing because we know about the z-move a lot more then the battle bond thing. The battle bond thing is pointless, that's why I abandoned my Ashgreninja in the demo for over a year.

If there is anything I learned from this episode, it's that Pikachu's Thunderbolt is all you ever need in life. From "Aim for the horn," to being able to physically and molecular-ly separate a human being from an alien Pokemon with no negative consequences to either party.

Also, Lillie, Gladion and even Solgaleo get shafted from the climax of the Mother Beast Lusamine plot in favor of everyone's favorite idiot hero and electric mouse!

Well, I enjoyed this episode more than the previous one. At least Lillie did play a role in trying to save Lusamine, though I still feel it would have been better if it was her there initially instead of, or even with, Ash. But I can't be that mad since it only makes sense that Ash would deliver the finishing blow being that he is the main character, just as the PC battles her in the games over Lillie. It wouldn't make sense otherwise in that case, but I can't be that upset. Plus, I suppose giving her the 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt was the only thing Ash really did. Lillie climbed up the rock and gave Lusamine the speech, so overall, she did do more.

That said, this episode did feel a lot like, "Well geez, we haven't shown off Z-Moves in a while so lets show a bunch here!". We got Gladion/Lycanroc with Continental Crush, Lana/Popplio deciding to bust out Hydro Vortex for only the second time since first using it, and of course out of nowhere, Ash gains the ability to use 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt due to his Electirum-Z just magically transforming for a few seconds. Well, at least they actually gave him the correct Z-Crystal instead of him using it out of nowhere so I suppose I can't be that upset. The only weird this about it was Pikachu putting on Ash's hat for the attack. Yes, we as an audience know why that was to be, but from the perspective of the show, it just seems weird for Pikachu to put on Ash's hat right before using this huge mega attack as if he knew it was necessary....but I digress.

Of course, this episode is lacking in the most important element of all of this, the impact. I just don't think the Aether plot (if you can even call it that) lasted long enough for any of this to have any emotional impact. We've known Lusamine for what, 10 episodes...if even that? The arc started too late and was too short for us to even get to know her or become attached to her. As such, this big finale of rescuing her feels so empty. It's even worse due to the fact that Lusaine wasn't even evil here, nor was this any of her doing. Faba caused all of this and that dude didn't even play apart in the rescue. It all feels just like a random problem as a result of pure bad luck instead of something that's been built up from something.

As such, I am disappointed by this arc as a whole. This episode was fine, I'd give it an 8/10, but for the overarching arc, it could have been so much better.

TOO MANY Z-MOVES

I hate how Game Freak has been abandoning features after one gen but I honestly won't mind if they do it with Z-moves.

Ash and Pikachu oneshot Lusamine when it should have been her kids doing it. How about Lillie commanding Solgaleo to attack her? That would have been more dramatically appropriate.

The stuff between Lillie and Lusamine seemed good at least, I'm looking forward to subs for that.

Ikue Ohtani's delivery when Pikachu fired off that 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt was badass.
Man she really must have needed that drink then, she's really been knocking out of the park as Pikachu this year.

As for my thoughts on this arc it was disappointing, started off decent but by the time Lillie changed to her Z powered form it took a big nosedive.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom