• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM058: Don't Cry, Hidoide!

Well, at least Ash's classmates are all absent in this episode and it's good. Overall, not very interesting episode, but it was emotional.

Last edited:
This episode was alright, but I was hoping for more possible development of TRio since they really haven't done much to be relevant since SM025 (unless working for Faba counts) but on the bright side, more Mareanie screentime! She was long overdue of it.

It's nice to see Team Rocket being more casual in the region and more full of life than just typically trying to capture Pikachu, so having them shop was a nice tidbit.

The flashback scene was handled surprisingly well barring most of the off-screen moments seen. It felt even more powerful than Inkay's because there actually was establishment of a friendship between James and Mareanie before the episode aired. Very good.

Bewear was actually OK in this episode, not being a burden to any of the main plot.

The fight scene I felt could've been handled better, but was alright nonetheless. And Toxapex and James actually chilling at the end reminded me a little of SM029.

And the ending was pretty fun.

The only things I can say really bother me is the fact TR went for a SECOND Frillish, and the lack of regular Toxapex showing up in the flesh. Otherwise pretty solid.

7.9/10

Not a bad episode this one, was rather teary eyed watching it at some points

Nice to see some characterization from Mareanie including rivalry from a female Frillish

Nice to see Ash caring for Mareanie when it ran away, I assume that they recognized it as James
Plus, Mallow and the other four classmates are absent, no cameos, no brief appearances and no flashback cameos.

I gotta say for a Team Rocket episode, hell, for a James episode this one was surprisingly not all that exciting. I guess it's because by the end of the episode nothing has really changed. Mareanie hasn't evolved or learned a new Move or anything. I wouldn't really say their bond is stronger than it already was either. Seeing James trying to catch a female Frillish as if Jessie hasn't already owned one was sort of irritating as well. Oh well, there's always a Bewear or Alolan Meowth episode to look forward to as far as Team Rocket goes.

Very touching for a fake-out release episode. Almost thought Mareanie was gonna get the boot.

I didn't really mind Ash and his parents' role here since it tied to the overall plot and wasn't him and his friends doing random crap that has nothing to do with anything like a lot of TR focused episodes.

The score was really good in the latter part of the episode with all those great M19 tracks - particularly the BGM that played when Ash found Mareanie, Mareanie's flashback, and that organ theme when Toxapex attacked James. About time they used Magearna's theme in the TV series. And it was nice to hear Rocket-dan Danka again.

Last edited:
This episode is the perfect example of why I love James so much. He is on the side of "bad guys" but he really has a heart of gold. His life is a total succesion of suffering and humiliation and yet he deserves so much better. He never hesitates to sacrifice himself for those he loves and he remains so humble. Yet he is really strong and he still keeps a low self-esteem and considers himself worthless.

James, you are a real hero, I'm so sad for you.

Episode itself was pretty rubbish for me, the big winner was James but that's not a surprise, he's a brilliant character and ideally a really good guy. Some high points or at least hilarious bits for me were:-
James jump kicking Tentacruel and then spinning it and throwing it away. James is hella strong waw.
The music for his scuffle with Toxapex was really good.
Lycanroc sleeping was cute.

While the episode itself wasn't appealing at all, it does reinforce that James is a great person, TR aside. It also reinforces my belief that he's actually have been an amazing companion for Ash. I would gladly have watched him be his real self continuously. Every season he shows it a few times (can't recall if he did in BW) and each time he proves to be an emotionally gripping character.

On a side note of TR themselves, it does play well how Jessie and James are polar opposites character wise. Jessie grew up on the darker side of life and as such has a horrible personality with a kind side but it's hidden deep away due to her upbringing. James due to having everything, appreciates life and the simple pleasures way more. It also gives him the ability to show way more empathy than Jessie. One thing I always wish they did was allow Jessie to grow through James and at least start showing more positive characteristics being part of her core. They did this in XYZ when she lost the masterclass and showed humility which for me along with the doctor episode were great in showing Jessie in a new light. Sadly it was taken away in SM when Jessie went back to being fully vain, even taking James' poke ball and using it on Mimikyu, which felt like she was starting back from point A. Anyways seeing as I'm diverging, poor episode but James is always a win for me at least.

I suppose kudos for turning a Pokemon gay for him as well I guess.

The most surprising thing about this episode for me is that, brief flashback aside, for an episode focusing entirely on Team Rocket they are never seen in their uniforms. It's casual clothes all the way!
They did wear their uniforms only in a post-scene of PokeProblem.

So was Toxapex bisexual?

I liked this episode- those of us that were unhappy with Ash in the Mimikyu episode should be glad. The scenes at Kukui’s house were more focus for Burnet and Muchlax then for him.

Not quite as good as the episode in XY where Wobbuffett gives up on true love to stay with Jessie but a very nice SM episode.

Narrator is back, Lilie is out.
So...My OTP is canon after all? (y)
Even Dohidoide has hots for Kojiro.
Satoshi and his "family" is so forced, as usual.
There is so much tentacles for a kids anime.
Musashi's Pururill was so forgettable that even Kojiro forgot that they already had one.
One of the best episodes of SM.

Last edited:
I surprisingly wasn't annoyed with Satoshi this time, probably because his scenes were so brief and weren't just randomly thrown in. Of course I could have done without him but all things considered his scenes weren't that bad.

Is this the first time Danka has played in Sun&Moon? It was in like 3/4 of XYZ so it's interesting it hasn't been used this series. Also what was the BGM that played in the very last scene? I don't recognize it but it sounded really neat.

This afternoon a colleague asked me if I was in love and I said "hell, no."
If he asked me the same question now, I would have to say "hell, yes! and the person I'm in love with is a fictional character on an animated tv show aimed at 7-10-year-olds who is voiced by a man double my age."

Fuck.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that this is the purest Kojirou fanservice episode we've ever had. The only thing missing was a scene where he ripped off his shirt Takeshi style...

My biggest laugh in the episode was when Kojirou got legit poisoned and Hidoide forgot to be angry/caring/sad and took a second to squee over Kojirou's poisoned look variation :ROFLMAO:

I've been complaining a lot that Nyasu never gets to speak but his picture show in this was hilariously perfect - the voices, OMG I was dying at both his damsel-in-distress & knight-in-shining-armour impressions! Did you all pick up that Senpai's nickname for Hidoide (as translated by Nyasu) is Crybaby-chan?

The piece of music everyone else mentioned was fab, but the BEST one was the fun, jazzy remix of Danka they played over the last scene - have we ever heard that one before?
One thing I always wish they did was allow Jessie to grow through James and at least start showing more positive characteristics being part of her core. They did this in XYZ when she lost the masterclass and showed humility which for me along with the doctor episode were great in showing Jessie in a new light. Sadly it was taken away in SM when Jessie went back to being fully vain, even taking James' poke ball and using it on Mimikyu, which felt like she was starting back from point A.
Wait whaaaat?! Have we been watching the same series or this very episode even?!

Let's just take this episode.
The selfish bitch version Musashi we all recognise & acknowledge would have been totally disengaged in this kind of folly (or even something much more serious), which she would have regarded as complete bs because it isn't directly relevant to her. In this she was invested, but literally sat in the background for the majority of the episode, happy to let Kojirou handle it and then act as a sounding board when he was about to make A Big Decision.

In fact, from the very beginning of the episode, she showed genuine kindness and compassion towards Hidoide - unexpectedly so because we've never seen the two of them interact onscreen, and also because Hidoide is kind of a weirdo. Compare to Maaiika's fake-out departure episode when she randomly accused it of being inherently evil solely because of its species...

Also, we were allowed a little reminder that she really does care about Kojirou, most obviously in the post-credits scene:
Nyasu: Is it ok that we didn't get [Dohidoide]?
Musashi: It's all good right? We have to take care of Kojirou's health 'huh?
(or something)
jPDu_CMcRdiAXNmIpnAF0A.png

Look at her face!!!

As for the rest of this series, we've seen her be aggressively kind towards Kiteruguma on a couple of occasions and the Mimikyu episode speaks for itself... She's also been the least bothered member of the TRio when it comes to doing her day job of committing crime. So overall, I'd say SM so far has shown just about the softest marshmallow Musashi one could ever reasonably expect.

Wait whaaaat?! Have we been watching the same series or this very episode even?!

Let's just take this episode.
The selfish bitch version Musashi we all recognise & acknowledge would have been totally disengaged in this kind of folly (or even something much more serious), which she would have regarded as complete bs because it isn't directly relevant to her. In this she was invested, but literally sat in the background for the majority of the episode, happy to let Kojirou handle it and then act as a sounding board when he was about to make A Big Decision.

In fact, from the very beginning of the episode, she showed genuine kindness and compassion towards Hidoide - unexpectedly so because we've never seen the two of them interact onscreen, and also because Hidoide is kind of a weirdo. Compare to Maaiika's fake-out departure episode when she randomly accused it of being inherently evil solely because of its species...

Also, we were allowed a little reminder that she really does care about Kojirou, most obviously in the post-credits scene:
Nyasu: Is it ok that we didn't get [Dohidoide]?
Musashi: It's all good right? We have to take care of Kojirou's health 'huh?
(or something)
jPDu_CMcRdiAXNmIpnAF0A.png

Look at her face!!!

As for the rest of this series, we've seen her be aggressively kind towards Kiteruguma on a couple of occasions and the Mimikyu episode speaks for itself... She's also been the least bothered member of the TRio when it comes to doing her day job of committing crime. So overall, I'd say SM so far has shown just about the softest marshmallow Musashi one could ever reasonably expect.

I'd assume we watch the same series, notice I said she started back from point A at the beginning, I never said she didn't improve. This is why I used her actions to catch Mimikyu as an example. She was much better in the episode with her and Mimikyu where she started attempting to understand it (there, I felt like she was showing progress from the old Jessie albeit a Jessie we've seen before. It was sort of like the episode where Pumpkaboo evolved where Jessie started off as selfish but changed during it.

Also even when Jessie was a bitch in previous series, she has always shown a softer side when it came to romance, no matter how weird it would be. That's the side of her they manage to do well seeing as it draws from her multiple failures to find that for herself.
With respect for caring for James, I know she does in that she doesn't want him die, my main issue was her lack of respect for his things at the beginning of the series. Again this isn't that much of a big deal for me as I only brought it up due to it being a episode centered around TRio for once. Also wrt her doing her job, she's never really been one to care tbh. She's lazy af and I like that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom