• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM058: Don't Cry, Hidoide!

Anyone notice the male Hidoide was voiced by Miki Shin'ichiro? That was hilarious.
Also, we got a new, Big Band-style arrangement of Rocket-Dan Danka! Yay, further reasons to painfully and vainfully wait for a new anime soundtrack collection!

Important image:
aNlwdJc.png

Oooh so it was a Danka cover, I wasn't sure!

Also it's hilarious that the montage of kojiro and hidoide was half new stuff because the rocket trio has been so painfully absent this series!!!

My expectations were relied on another boring filler episode which will be forgotten in a blink of an eye. But it turned out to be one of my "better" favourites in S&M series. (That being said, not close to be as unique as Jessie falling in love with the doc in XY series episode, though.) Up until this point, I wasn't really big fan of Hidoide, but she grew on me decently fine this time. Not to mention I was about to lose it when I heard Rocket-dan Danka in the particular scene. One of my favourite soundtracks of Pokémon ever.

I'm not really into the romance thing here, but I have to admit that Meowth's theatre really sold me on this episode. Also, the soundtrack was a little too dramatic for the "battle" between James and Toxapex, which was kindergarten-level.

The background music was quite something, they went from organ music to a heavy metal song.

Decent episode overall. I usually don't care too much about TRio episodes but this one was alright.

Really? I never got that impression till SM.

Well to me anyways, in XY and i think DP mostly she cared about the contests and performances respectively. Meowth was really the one who was most insistent with pleasing Giovanni. James well, he was just his usual timid self lmao. Plus I much rather see Jessie as a performer anyways, she was really in her element.

Well to me anyways, in XY and i think DP mostly she cared about the contests and performances respectively. Meowth was really the one who was most insistent with pleasing Giovanni.
I agree she was quite into performing > job, but not till SM did I think she doesn't care about it at all.
James well, he was just his usual timid self lmao.
I don't think he's been particularly timid at least since AG/early DP. His (and Musashi's actually) character has really changed dramatically over the years, which wasn't that obvious watching an episode a week for 20 years, but is really plain to see with the gift of hindsight.

I agree she was quite into performing > job, but not till SM did I think she doesn't care about it at all.

I don't think he's been particularly timid at least since AG/early DP. His (and Musashi's actually) character has really changed dramatically over the years, which wasn't that obvious watching an episode a week for 20 years, but is really plain to see with the gift of hindsight.

Hmmm me I have always the feeling that James is a shy boy. Especially since DP and episode "A false Oak finish" and the episode "Dressed for Jess success"
tumblr_oq0kbjp7CC1sjhfmco3_400.gif

tumblr_inline_oq0kaauaXI1snmftu_400.gif

tumblr_o04rm2ci861uld0hqo1_1280.jpg

Hmmm me I have always the feeling that James is a shy boy. Especially since DP and episode "A false Oak finish" and the episode "Dressed for Jess success"
Shy, reserved? Maybe, although he's pretty fluctuant.
But timid, implying fearfulness? Not really since AG/early DP as far as I'm concerned.
I'm interested to hear if you disagree.

Shy, reserved? Maybe, although he's pretty fluctuant.
But timid, implying fearfulness? Not really since AG/early DP as far as I'm concerned.
I'm interested to hear if you disagree.
A certain episode of XYZ gave me a bit of that impression ... But maybe it's just my personal perception...
tumblr_inline_oq0k5v354B1snmftu_1280.gif

A certain episode of XYZ gave me a bit of that impression ... But maybe it's just my personal perception...
LOL!!
Fair enough, he was not into that dance at all was he?

But tbf at the time I remember seeing that and thinking it was pretty OOC for how he was during XY to be sooooo resistant to attending that party. He didn't have a problem getting up on stage and dancing uninvited 50 episodes back.

(Part of me thinks it was some veiled reference to his having to attend , although I'm probably giving Omode far more credit than deserved...)

LOL!!
Fair enough, he was not into that dance at all was he?

But tbf at the time I remember seeing that and thinking it was pretty OOC for how he was during XY to be sooooo resistant to attending that party. He didn't have a problem getting up on stage and dancing uninvited 50 episodes back.

(Part of me thinks it was some veiled reference to his having to attend , although I'm probably giving Omode far more credit than deserved...)

Well, as it says by Jessie and Meowth in "A faux oak finish" when he does something for the Team Rocket (or with Jessie) he is a completely different person...

I do not know if it can count but in this episode about Mareanie, James has a very different attitude to fight with Toxapex (which insists to ask him) and tentacruel (when he fight on the stroke of the emotion, without thinking)

And Jessie still has such an extroverted and dominant attitude in comparison to James that it may be what always reinforces my feeling that he is shy LOL

And Jessie still has such an extroverted and dominant attitude in comparison to James that it may be what always reinforces my feeling that he is shy LOL
Haha, omg I couldn't help laughing out loud that Musashi opened this episode - that girl doesn't know how to contain herself!

I definitely feel that the power dynamic between the two has shifted significantly over the years though. She used to be far more dominant over him in the olden days. Whereas he feels now like a man in control of his own destiny who goes along with some of her nonsense to indulge her, rather than because he's completely under her thumb.

I definitely feel that the power dynamic between the two has shifted significantly over the years though. She used to be far more dominant over him in the olden days. Whereas he feels now like a man in control of his own destiny who goes along with some of her nonsense to indulge her, rather than because he's completely under her thumb.

Hum... Yes... But sometimes... XD XD XD
tumblr_oh5wq4zn161sjhfmco1_500.gif

tumblr_p0aajrn7a51sjhfmco1_500.gif

Last edited:
I remember there were some episodes where Jessie would have James and Meowth do the work while she's relaxing.
Now I don't have a very good memory, but I believe she acted like this mainly during the Hoenn saga. She does still have a bossier attitude, but never taken to such extents now (or at least, not as often [she did it in the Hidoide debut episode]).

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom