• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

REVIEW: SM059: Mao and Suiren, the Bittersweet Memories!

Singaporean

Reaction score
Very cute, but still worse episode nonetheless. Despite, Mallow and Lana backstory.

BigDocFan

Reaction score
Had high hopes giving that Giovanni was credited only to be disappointed when it was only in Meowth's fantasy. Team Rocket once again caused many groans from me, especially during their motto.

Lana and Mallow were cute when they were young, was hoping to see Mallow's mother but turned out to be Lana's mother

radek.tadajewski.7

Reaction score
Had high hopes giving that Giovanni was credited only to be disappointed when it was only in Meowth's fantasy. Team Rocket once again caused many groans from me, especially during their motto.

Lana and Mallow were cute when they were young, was hoping to see Mallow's mother but turned out to be Lana's mother
Jessie had so many stuffed toys like Ekans, Seviper, Dustox and Pumpkaboo, and these are her Pokemon she owns, except for Arbok and Dustox cos she released them.

martianmister

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Screenshot_2018-01-25-13-27-42-1.png
"Which fetish Mao-chan would pander to this episode?"
Screenshot_2018-01-25-13-28-35-1.png

Nice!
Screenshot_2018-01-25-13-29-34-1.png

Cute?

Kirby4ever

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
It's a cute episode, but the quality of the video I watch hasen't have very good audio, I'll watch it later with subs and in better quality. The episode would have been better if Team Rocket have been in the episode since I don't see them needing to be here.

Lol young Mallow, you don't make friends by grabbing random kids by the arm and dragging them to your adventures.

kantoskies

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
Kind of a boring episode but that Rocket motto absolutely makes up for it.

Sakuraa

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
OMG baby Lana was so cute. And Drampa was SO cute. This episode was so CUTE :X3:

KyseL

Reaction score
Great episode! Fantastic animation even for Sun and Moon already high standards, a good chunk of emotional and fun moments plus it reminded me of how much I just love how this iteration of Satoshi is just too pure for this world without being a blank slate.

Gabo2oo

Reaction score
Really good. I honestly can't see any flaws here. The backstory has a simple plot, yet it's shown in such a sweet and relatable way. The way Mao and Suiren interact and are written in the flashbacks is really in-character for them. And it's not just them, all the characters in the episode were relevant in some form, and excellently characterized (including Rotom!); and all the comedy was justified and without relying only on over-the-top expressions.

Notice how the way Mao tries to befriend Suiren is really similar to how she acted when meeting Ash back in SM001? Or how Ash is childishly playing guide with the stick? The subtle reference to Kojiro being the gadgeteer of the team? Lots of stuff going on in the background? All of these little details are indicators of an episode made with love and care, in my opinion.

And this is a great example of how to make Team Rocket funny even when their only purpose in the story is to try to steal the Pokémon of the day. We get to see a bit more of their side than usual, which makes a better set-up for when they actually get into action. Add the right comedy to that and you get their "sneaking" scenes to not feel wasted or bland at all.

This episode is nearly perfect. Probably one of my all-time favorites in the show.

Twilight-Kun

Megalomaniacal toaster on a keyboard
Reaction score
Well, that was...an episode
I just can't work up the ability to care about Mallow, while Lana's at least got some family and pokemon interactions to make her interesting

The background pokemon interactions were far more interesting to watch and it's nice seeing them get along

Reaction score
I agree with @Gabo2oo that it absolutely came across as an episode written with love... I just also found it a little too linear to keep my attention throughout. Don't get me wrong, I love a predictable story (I mean, my favourite tv show is this one so...) but there needs to be a hook or some substance to the story more than just "cute!" I didn't feel I'd learnt anything new about Mao, Suiren or even PotD Gramps by the end of the episode.

Of course the TRio were hilarious, if fucking weird. My favourite gag was the milk bottle mecha's overly long henshin scene (punctuated by Nyasu's sound effects!)
Lovely to get a reference to Kojirou's engineer status and OMFG since when did Habunake have those little legs Musashi?!?!?!??!?!