• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM059: Mao and Suiren, the Bittersweet Memories!

Very cute, but still worse episode nonetheless. Despite, Mallow and Lana backstory.

Had high hopes giving that Giovanni was credited only to be disappointed when it was only in Meowth's fantasy. Team Rocket once again caused many groans from me, especially during their motto.

Lana and Mallow were cute when they were young, was hoping to see Mallow's mother but turned out to be Lana's mother

Seviper and Dustox reference in the motto was really cute!
DUYSWQvUQAEEDPs.jpg:large

Had high hopes giving that Giovanni was credited only to be disappointed when it was only in Meowth's fantasy. Team Rocket once again caused many groans from me, especially during their motto.

Lana and Mallow were cute when they were young, was hoping to see Mallow's mother but turned out to be Lana's mother
Jessie had so many stuffed toys like Ekans, Seviper, Dustox and Pumpkaboo, and these are her Pokemon she owns, except for Arbok and Dustox cos she released them.

It's a cute episode, but the quality of the video I watch hasen't have very good audio, I'll watch it later with subs and in better quality. The episode would have been better if Team Rocket have been in the episode since I don't see them needing to be here.

Lol young Mallow, you don't make friends by grabbing random kids by the arm and dragging them to your adventures.

Kind of a boring episode but that Rocket motto absolutely makes up for it.

Great episode! Fantastic animation even for Sun and Moon already high standards, a good chunk of emotional and fun moments plus it reminded me of how much I just love how this iteration of Satoshi is just too pure for this world without being a blank slate.

Really good. I honestly can't see any flaws here. The backstory has a simple plot, yet it's shown in such a sweet and relatable way. The way Mao and Suiren interact and are written in the flashbacks is really in-character for them. And it's not just them, all the characters in the episode were relevant in some form, and excellently characterized (including Rotom!); and all the comedy was justified and without relying only on over-the-top expressions.

Notice how the way Mao tries to befriend Suiren is really similar to how she acted when meeting Ash back in SM001? Or how Ash is childishly playing guide with the stick? The subtle reference to Kojiro being the gadgeteer of the team? Lots of stuff going on in the background? All of these little details are indicators of an episode made with love and care, in my opinion.

And this is a great example of how to make Team Rocket funny even when their only purpose in the story is to try to steal the Pokémon of the day. We get to see a bit more of their side than usual, which makes a better set-up for when they actually get into action. Add the right comedy to that and you get their "sneaking" scenes to not feel wasted or bland at all.

This episode is nearly perfect. Probably one of my all-time favorites in the show.

I agree with @Gabo2oo that it absolutely came across as an episode written with love... I just also found it a little too linear to keep my attention throughout. Don't get me wrong, I love a predictable story (I mean, my favourite tv show is this one so...) but there needs to be a hook or some substance to the story more than just "cute!" I didn't feel I'd learnt anything new about Mao, Suiren or even PotD Gramps by the end of the episode.

Of course the TRio were hilarious, if fucking weird. My favourite gag was the milk bottle mecha's overly long henshin scene (punctuated by Nyasu's sound effects!)
Lovely to get a reference to Kojirou's engineer status and OMFG since when did Habunake have those little legs Musashi?!?!?!??!?!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom