• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM061: Set Off! Our Ultra Guardians!!

Ok, time to take a chill pill everyone. This thread is to talk about this episode, not about the series as a whole.

Also, enough with the jabs at other people’s posts. While you all are entitled to think what you wish about the series, make sure to do so while being respectful and mindful of other people’s opinions.

That said, carry on with the discussion about the Power Rangers Ultra Guardians and all the rest.

Ok, time to take a chill pill everyone. This thread is to talk about this episode, not about the series as a whole.

Also, enough with the jabs at other people’s posts. While you all are entitled to think what you wish about the series, make sure to do so while being respectful and mindful of other people’s opinions.

That said, carry on with the discussion about the Power Rangers Ultra Guardians and all the rest.
You got it. We'll be more careful this time.

ok i like the episode first they were doing regular stuff like always then the alert made them go to the HQ explaining and getting the equipment they need to catch meanwhile beware know that Buzzlord was a danger so she grabbed Team Rocket to safety showing she is just a mother figure as they were collecting berries.

Buzzlord sucking Snorlax was good and then the team treating the pokemon they arent just to caught UB they also help pokemon that the UB could hurt also they try battling first but after bit of not making progress and a quick scare of kiawe we see Buzzlord just Flexing and they try doing the same but rotom remind of the mission so they try using the beast ball and they did at the first catch i loved when they get closer to see if get caught then the returning was good so they have to be in the point they enter to return cool idea

great start of arc and we got poipole in there hey isnt set yet also i like the OP and ED i like that they dont spoil too much of the coming episodes and litten still been litten i like when the OP updates when the pokemon does so that helps wiht the spoilers great

I enjoyed the episode, the fab animation and music helped a lot! I loved loved LOVED the orchestration of the Trial music that played during the booting up/lift-off of the Evas scene. Massivoon was super cute.

I cannot, however, deal with another baby legendary (yeah I know the little dipshit's only a UB) again so soon - Puni-chan, then Hoshigumo-chan, now this?!
Am I the only one that cringed at the whole "transformation" scene? Giant hidden elevator right next to their class that somehow changes their usual clothes into Ultra Guardian uniforms, a HQ under school that ridiculously big, secret gate under water...whole thing is ridiculous and unnecessary! It's like a 180 degree turn from SM's claim to be "slice of life".
To be fair it was totally lampshaded throughout with the characters acknowledging in-universe even that it was OTT.

Relying on six 10-year-old children with no competitive Pokémon at all (maybe excluding Kiawe) doesn't make any sense in any reality. It would make more sense if Ash an co. joined Aether Foundation team to help out, at least. I could even buy it if Ash and Kiawe found the Ultra Beast before Aether Foundation, so he would have to deal with it himself. But in this way? It's a big no for me. Not to mention Professor Kukui and especially Burnet were supposed to be responsible adults who are in charge of Ash. "An unknown, dangerous creature from another dimension is attacking our world. Go out, kiddos and save the planet." is a meh writing in my opinion.

Snorlax scene was extremely cheesy. Buzzwole was not any better. Buzzwole's battle against Bewear did not disappoint me as I didn't have big expectations but a cool battle would be a plus. The outfit change only served to a visual enjoyment rather than "change your clothes, kids", so I can just overlook it in the nature of S&M animé, but it took forever to go down, talk, go up and leave. All the previews and everything made us buy that the new arc was going to be something serious but then again, SM061 happened.

The upside of the episode has been Poipole. I really like Mew's personality in the first movie and its following appearances. We have a second Mew here and it is actually in the main show. I am looking forward to see its union with Ash and friends very soon. Even if Poipole won't be caught by Ash, I would like to see it around Ash a long time. Maybe it could evolve right before the League and could battle for him before it leaves. After all, the League rules will be determined by Kukui and the others, seeing how things will revolve.

Last edited:
Finally got to see it subbed and it was a very good episode. I especially liked the little character moments that were sprinkled throughout the whole thing more than anything.

I'm actually excited to see how the other Ultra Beasts will be handled, because they seem to be taking a direction where the key to capturing them isn't only beating them in a battle, but most importantly to understand the alien creatures, which might allow for some very creative concepts overall.

The high tech facility under the school might be a nod to Zettai Muteki Raijin Oh, one of Rica's early roles.

The suit-up scene is reminiscent of G Gundam, thankfully minus the fanservice (sorry about that thumbnail :LOL:).

I just had a huge realization. Lusamine is a huge weeb!

That explains the references and why Lillie is embarrassed but not surprised and actually says her mother's into that kind of stuff while they go down through the tunnel. It all makes sense now.

Last edited:
I just watched the whole episode and I absolutely loved it! A nice start to a new season with an interesting personality for Buzzwole where instead of it being complete destruction it seems to just love showing off its muscles as well as has a large appetite that it had to scarf down a Snorlax practically. I completely noticed the reference to Sailor Moon when they were putting on their suits as well and the fact Lusamine is having a blast running the Ultra Guardians and making them say silly catchphrases because she's a humongous dork of a mom. 10/10 (plus I can't get over the opening and ending!! :love: )

Did anyone else find it strange that Ash just ran past the deflated Snorlax?

I was thinking "Kiawe should do a flex-off with Buzzwole"...and then he actually did, which I wasn't expecting. And then Ash joined in with a disturbing face gag. I thought that part went on too long and I didn't like how it cut the battle short. Instead of having antics at the expense of battles couldn't they just make the battle animations wackier so we can have both? Other than that I liked the episode a lot.

It was complete let-down how Bewear vs Buzzwole ended. Wasn't even that long... On the other hand, I did like how Buzzwole was depicted, especially the muscle show-offs (reminded me of Armstrong and Izumi Curtis' husbands connection through muscles...good times). And seriously, they have all this technology beneath the school (how the heck did they install it so fast and without anyone noticing?) and they couldn't add some teleportation warp pads? They even have a button that looks just like the ones in the Elite Four chambers,

When Sophocles asked when the the button, elevator, and Ultra Guardians base is built in the school, no ope gave him an answer.

Well, I sure didn't expect the school to be the Ultra Guardian base of operations with a whole damn secret door in the wall, but I suppose it is cool. It's funny how Lusamine really likes the whole "super hero/power ranger" concept.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed with this episode, mainly because it went by way too fast and wasn't a cool or interesting as it could have been. We have the team confronting a super powerful ULTRA BEAST, but it was treated like any random strong Pokemon. The actual confrontation with Buzzwole was overall lame. Seriously, a posing battle? I would have liked to see the gang use their combined strength to try to weaken Buzzwole to a state where it would be easily captured, but nope, Kiawe and Ash just need to pose to win :/ Also, I get that they're gonna have Poipole join the gang at some point, but I don't think it needed this much expose so soon when we were supposed to be focusing on Buzzwole

I'll give this episode a 5/10. A pretty lame start to the Ultra Guardian plot.

I'd like to get a consensus on this before making any changes to their respective pages, but I'm fairly certain that's the intention with the Pokemon amulets (except Rotom, who's genderless). I think we finally have a conversation on it in the Catch/Release thread.

It could at least be added to trivia sections as hints towards that gender.

From what I've seen, the folks at Bulbapedia aren't okay with any gender-related information unless the Pokémon's gender it's completely, surely, 100% real, confirmedly, superduper explicitly stated in the dialogue.

At this point, she's everything except the person she should be.
I'm not happy with it, but I've grown to accept that anime Lusamine is simply a different character from game Lusamine. Heck, even USUM Lusamine from the games doesn't feel much like SM Lusamine either. A bit dissapointing, actually.

Just read the good subtitles. Apparently, Meowth does not understand the language of the UB's.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom