• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM061: Set Off! Our Ultra Guardians!!

Overall, a very nice-looking episode.

Those Exeggutor really reminded me of the palm trees seen during the Thunderbird 2 launch sequence...

Rotom can finally show us Ultra Beast Dex entries?! YES!

Were those Full Restores in the medical kit? If so, that would be their anime debut!

Really looking forward to more Ultra Guardian episodes!

wow, Ash caught a Buzzwole and then released back and going to Ultra Space.

wow, Ash caught a Buzzwole and then released back and going to Ultra Space.

Unlike in game. Ultra Beats are considered as invasive species that cannot be kept. It must release back.

Also, this episode is great and the new opening & ending is kinda a little bit disappointed. except the only hype part is that Ash and the other will face other Ultra Beasts in the future. Which is what I'm looking forward to it. Especially, the Nanu backstory that will haunted him for eternity due to Guzzlord that cause his life of one of his fella. However, that can wait.

Unlike in game. Ultra Beats are considered as invasive species that cannot be kept. It must release back.

Also, this episode is great and the new opening & ending is kinda a little bit disappointed. except the only hype part is that Ash and the other will face other Ultra Beasts in the future. Which is what I'm looking forward to it. Especially, the Nanu backstory that will haunted him for eternity due to Guzzlord that cause his life of one of his fella. However, that can wait.
You're right, in game, you can keep an Ultra Beast, but in Anime, you have to release it and send it back to the Ultra Space.

You're right, in game, you can keep an Ultra Beast, but in Anime, you have to release it and send it back to the Ultra Space.

This draw even more thoughts that Ash will NOT catch Poipole in the future episodes, except only serving some roles like what Squishy or Nebby had been through. In which, they will return where it belong after the series end. I know is sad, but that is the truth will occurred.

Sorry everyone, you all going to disappointed.

Last edited:
This draw even more thoughts that Ash will NOT catch Poipole in the future episodes, except only serving some roles like what Squishy or Nebby had been through. In which, they will return where it belong after the series end. I know is sad, but that is the truth will occurred.

Sorry everyone, you all going to disappointed.
Guess Ash will use his old mons for the Alolan Pokemon League then.

In terms of how most arcs this series so far have disappointed me, I think I'm actually looking forward to this one.

This episode was almost on par with the first episode of XYZ, with great animation quality (can't even find one bad moment within it), action (though slightly more could've been here), and an opening to the signature Pokemon that will soon belong to the main cast's team for their respective arcs.

Buzzwole was pretty amusing in this episode, causing havoc while flexing on others. The action scene between it and Pikachu was animated quite well, and needless to say was arguably better than what we got for most of the Aether Foundation arc. The only two things that disappointed me was Bewear's battle against it was slightly anticlimactic and that Ash was the only one that actually got to battle it. That aside, it was pretty cool.

Poipole was also adorable.

9/10

Last edited:
The only two things that disappointed me was Bewear's battle against it was slightly anticlimactic
I think that was done to leave the true winner ambiguous. Now we can't say for certain which one of them was stronger.

For once, I'm actually glad that Bewear took Team Rocket away. Jessie and James were idiots not to notice the giant muscle-quito right next to them and shut up.

GO GO POKÉ RANGERS!!

This was a lot of fun. Too bad they couldn't keep Buzzwole, though.

Team Rocket just had to spoil it for Bewear. But it knew Jessie and James wanted no part of Buzzwole.

And we got to see Laki and Smeargle again!

I wonder how many people will mock Ash for not holding onto Buzzwole going forward, despite the set up explaining why he would not do so. How many 'Ash kept the Ultra Beasts' fics will spawn?
Perhaps, at some point, more nefarious motivations will be revealed on the part of the Aether Foundation, and some--if not all--of the Ultra Beasts will come to Ash's aid.

Okay, I just noticed something. During the "transformation sequence", all the Pokémon get little Ultra Guardian amulets. Several of them have bows, but those appear to be particularly for the females. None of the known males have bows on their amulets (nor does RotomDex, who is genderless).

One of the Pokémon that has a bow is Popplio, whose gender was not confirmed. Can we count that as confirming Lana's Popplio is female?

Last edited:
I think I've been gone for too long. I wasn't quite sure if this was real!

When did that giant room get there? Not to mention that huge button lol. And now they're power ran- I mean ultra guardians!

The flex off was funny. Reminded me of that scene with Armstrong in FMA. Companionship through muscles :LOL:.

Also, they finally got Kaki to wear a shirt (unless I missed something hahaha).

Am I the only one that cringed at the whole "transformation" scene? Giant hidden elevator right next to their class that somehow changes their usual clothes into Ultra Guardian uniforms, a HQ under school that ridiculously big, secret gate under water...whole thing is ridiculous and unnecessary! It's like a 180 degree turn from SM's claim to be "slice of life".
Still cute episode. And animation is unusually good. My rating is 5/10

This episode was bad, The AF remodeled the school into a Batmanesque secret base really? No
The weird material to make their suit which covers their actual clothes into tight fit suits? Weird and impractical.
How much of you all were expecting this big fight between Bewear and Buzzwole when it turned into literally the same scene vs Oranguru, flared aura and some arm wrestling. Literally a repeat scene, after seeing how many of you were so hyped for that in the discussion thread, I wonder how disappointed it left you.
The Snorlax scene was a massive let down, it recovered with a potion? And berries...
To Buzzwole, was the whole bodybuilder showdown with Ash and Kiawe necessary? that's 20 seconds of my life wasted.
The battle was brief as fk and only Pikachu used, they caught it with one Beast Ball and Buzzwole didn't even take damage so the balls are Master Ball level?
The release was weird, Buzzwole just chose to leave and fly through the wormhole?
After that fake sell in the preview to make it seem like this episode would be serious, it was just a joke with so much elements seeming ripped off from other shows... That didn't even feel like Pokemon.

The battle was brief as fk and only Pikachu used, they caught it with one Beast Ball and Buzzwole didn't even take damage so the balls are Master Ball level?
To be fair, in the games the Beast Balls have a very high catch rate for Ultra Beasts. In SM, half the UB's I encountered were caught without a fight. But they got dozens for a reason: while very good, they are not perfect. I think Quick Ball is a better analogy. I'm sure a future UB will break out.

To be fair, in the games the Beast Balls have a very high catch rate for Ultra Beasts. In SM, half the UB's I encountered were caught without a fight. But they got dozens for a reason: while very good, they are not perfect. I think Quick Ball is a better analogy. I'm sure a future UB will break out.

Doesn't change the fact that the battle itself was horrible as usual. SM upgrade their animation and never use it on the one thing Pokemon was known for, Battles. Instead it's used to show us all this useless ripoff shit.
The only reason they let it be caught so easily is just to rush it as usual tbh and to add their comedic relief everywhere.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom