• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM066: Smash with Sketch! The Fierce Fighting Poké-Ping Pong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get why Ambipom left her Trainer to go play ping-pong.

Apparently so they could make room on Dawn's team for Togekiss is all I can figure :shrug:

Writers, if you want to make a Pokemon to leave the cast, come up with a better reason than a random infatuation with something like ping-pong.
We KNOW you can do better...:mad:

That's an interesting theory, I thought of something like that 30 years ago, was only born 27 years ago lol

Yeah, I know right? it very funny, he always keep on saying that to try hide his secret identity. But I kinda doubt, Anna will be the hosts for this competition ever since from the pan cake to the the Charjabug race. It official, that she is the main corresponding throughout Melemele.

We KNOW you can do better...:mad:

They don't. All Pokémon releases suck. The writers either have the released Pokémon fall madly in love with an oddly-colored partner it just met (Ash's Butterfree and Jessie's Dustox) or feel the heroic need to dedicate its entire life to protect some area (Ash's Pidgeot and Goodra AND Greninja). It's one lame excuse after another.

Ash's Goodra and Greninja in particular were crap. Goodra left Ash's team but Ash never caught another Pokémon to fill that sixth slot and then Goodra returned to his team so what were the writers even thinking when they made Goodra leave in the first place? Then we have Greninja who just decided that Kalos needs a hero so it put on a cape because apparently two motherfucking Legendary Zygarde cannot protect Kalos on their own.

I'm so glad Ilima is making an appearance. I was thinking he wouldn't appear at all. But uh, Eevee. Of all Normal-type Pokémon Ilima could own, they had to give him an Eevee.

Kinda interesting how Alola's competitions are sports related rather than battle tournaments. Two races, a bobsled competition, and now a game of ping pong. Hopefully this one will be taken more seriously.

To take the conversation away from Dawn's Ambipom, I just realized that the title may be referring to Smeargle's Sketch. You know why that's such a big deal?

Smeargle has never used it in the anime before!

In fact, Smeargle has never used any moves in the anime! Not once during all the years since Generation II! Just let that sink in.

Great another competition episode to fill into the filler episode. Wondering, if the hosts going to be same old man that resemble fishing master & jump master coming to be judge of this match up again.

But I know is not going to happened. If it does, it will be another specious hint about that old guy could be possibility looker in disguised. That come to Alola to investigating the Ultra Beasts.
"Ah yes, I was a master of ping-pong fifty years ago. For sixty years, I passed on the teachings that took me seventy years to master, so now, eighty years later, I can see the fruits of my ninety years of labor. Also, I helped some Ambipom become a champion a hundred years ago, but nobody ever cares about monkey pokémon."

"Ah yes, I was a master of ping-pong fifty years ago. For sixty years, I passed on the teachings that took me seventy years to master, so now, eighty years later, I can see the fruits of my ninety years of labor. Also, I helped some Ambipom become a champion a hundred years ago, but nobody ever cares about monkey pokémon."

Please stop it. The writer will definitely going to use those lines for letting the voice actor to say it in the actual episode. And you will become the predicator for their story script.

Last edited:
If they didn’t reference Casey in the baseball episode, I don’t think Ambipom will appear, as much as I'd like it to.

I don't know...Ambipom has is more worthy of being referenced than Casey ever was or will ever be. :unsure:

References aside...
Ilima has more Pokemon than half of the main cast. And we are going through FIVE episodes without UBs, and without Ash meeting Poipole. Will I some day understand how is this series supposed to work?
I'd personally like at least some type of reference to them within the time frame, but it's nice to actually have some regular paced episodes after having Aether Foundation episodes shoved up our throats. Poipole for the most part might make a few cameos in some of these episodes.

Will I some day understand how is this series supposed to work?

Eh, don't worry about it. Just don't think much about it, sit back, relax as best as you can, and enjoy the ride like the kids in the target audience seem to.
Heck, I'm not sure how the previous series were supposed to work.

Besides, it should be pretty obvious by now that SM's series director or someone else in charge is more interested in making children's entertainment that telling a story.
And if that's how they wanna roll, there's nothing I can do but make the most of it.

Last edited:
Besides, it should be pretty obvious by now that SM's series director or someone else in charge is more interested in making children's entertainment that telling a story.
And if that's how they wanna roll, there's nothing I can do but make the most of it.
I respectfully disagree. This anime is telling a story, it's just being told in a different way than in any of the previous series. This series is more of a "slice of life" anime instead of the "constantly moving on towards the next destination" anime that the Pokémon series has been pretty much during the entirety of its main series.

Besides, Pokémon has always been a show for kids. Who's saying that a kids' show can't tell a good story?

It can't be as bad as the PokeBase episode

Are you kidding?! For a filler episode, the PokéBase episode was great!

Yeah, I enjoyed the PokeBase episode. I thought it was cute. I don't know if it's because I enjoy baseball in general or what but I thought it was a fun episode.

There's honestly nothing they could do to make me enjoy Pokémon Ping Pong. Especially after the first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom