• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM071: Shizukumo, Get Suiren!

I enjoy episodes such as this where we learn how Pokemon act in their natural habitats and how they live their lives. Also at the end of the Surskit vs Dewpider battle I kept thinking it was saying: "Hooray, by default, my favorite way to win.", cause it didn't actually defeat its opponent, it just left on its own.

The Hulu version and the Amazon version included a preview of episode SM072. The one-hour special didn't included it.

I wasn't fond of this episode. This one was all kinds of weird to me for so many reasons. First, they focused so much time on this random Dewpider that we're not likely to ever see again. It seemed so unnecessary. Second, the entire vibe of this episode was that it was meant to be a Lana episode, but she really didn't do all that much. Dewpider only liked her more than the others because of her water balloon helmet, but aside from that, it really wasn't all too close to her.

But this is my problem with the episode(and incoming weird rant here); the battle against Surskit. The fact that Ash and co. were on Dewpider's side in that battle was so off-putting to me. Dewpider literally intruded on Surskit's territory for the purpose of taking its home. This is an issue that has happened with so many POTDs and it all of those cases, Ash and co. always stick up for the victim; the Pokemon whose home is being unrightfully stolen.Here, Ash and co. side with Dewpider just because they "befriended" it earlier in the episode. But they are literally cheering for the antagonizer who is trying to take another Pokemon's home. Dewpider should be seen as the bad guy here, but it isn't just because Ash and his pals happened to meet it and it took a liking to bubble head Lana. The literal only reason I'm okay with how this ended is because Surskit ended up evolving and no longer needed the pond. If it had lost and been kicked out of it's home and Ash and his friends we happy about that, I'd have been hella pissed. I mean, does Ash not remember those Passimian he recently helped to save their home when they were being bullied by other Passiamian? It makes 0 sense to cheer to what Dewpider was doing here when he's seen this and been on the victim's side so many times.

Ugh, okay weird rant done. This episode gets a 3/10. It was really disappointing all around.

I loved how the first half of the episode played out like a Pikachu short with it being all about Shizukumo running around and interacting with other pokemon. We almost never get episodes that play around with the established formula like this so I loved the first half based just on that.

Once the kids got involved, however, I lost interest super quick. Did Satoshi and his friends actually do anything to move the plot along, at the end of the day? Because it feels like all they did was be cheerleaders for a spider trying to find a new home.

I did like the fight at the end because I don't think we've ever seen an Ametama (and, I guess, Amemoth) look *that* expressive before.

ii kanji said:
The only thing that would have made this better would have been a complete omission of the other kids/Kukui who were totally surplus to requirements and added nothing. The second half of the episode was ruined for me by their unnecessary exposition.

But remember, you're allowed to appear in an episode and do absolutely fuck all as long as you're not a member of the Rocket trio.

Last edited:
Loved how the first half of the episode was played out almost like a documentary. I really like how they manage to play with the structure of episodes more frequently now.

For the time being I will hold my thoughts on Shizukumo not being caught, because from the preview of the episode and the ending scene I have the feeling that we haven't seen the last of Shizukumo yet.

The episode is cute, I like how that we get to follow Dewpider around for half of the episode. It's not often we'll see an episode like this.

But this is my problem with the episode(and incoming weird rant here); the battle against Surskit. The fact that Ash and co. were on Dewpider's side in that battle was so off-putting to me. Dewpider literally intruded on Surskit's territory for the purpose of taking its home. This is an issue that has happened with so many POTDs and it all of those cases, Ash and co. always stick up for the victim; the Pokemon whose home is being unrightfully stolen.Here, Ash and co. side with Dewpider just because they "befriended" it earlier in the episode. But they are literally cheering for the antagonizer who is trying to take another Pokemon's home. Dewpider should be seen as the bad guy here, but it isn't just because Ash and his pals happened to meet it and it took a liking to bubble head Lana. The literal only reason I'm okay with how this ended is because Surskit ended up evolving and no longer needed the pond. If it had lost and been kicked out of it's home and Ash and his friends we happy about that, I'd have been hella pissed.
That's what I thought, too. What the hell.

I mean, does Ash not remember those Passimian he recently helped to save their home when they were being bullied by other Passiamian?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But remember, you're allowed to appear in an episode and do absolutely fuck all as long as you're not a member of the Rocket trio.
Jokes aside, that's actually not true anymore, so I find it quite irritating when they don't make the most of their freedom to leave characters out!!

Jeez, another episode where Kukui is shoved in for no reason. I'm sick and tired of the writers forcing Mao into an episode where she doesn't do anything worthwhile. Yet ANOTHER pointless Kaki episode......

Jeez, another episode where Kukui is shoved in for no reason. I'm sick and tired of the writers forcing Mao into an episode where she doesn't do anything worthwhile. Yet ANOTHER pointless Kaki episode......
At least Sophocles episode was good. The writers don't know what to write correct. This one-hour special wasn't good at all; it could've been better.

Dewpider fantasizing about Lana while building it's nest, the jokes Lana and Mallow made about Dewpider as a king and Lana as a princess and Lana appearing at the very end of the episode, sort of give me a feeling that Dewpider might appear again as a recurring pokemon. And Lana may catch it in future episodes.

Dewpider fantasizing about Lana while building it's nest, the jokes Lana and Mallow made about Dewpider as a king and Lana as a princess and Lana appearing at the very end of the episode, sort of give me a feeling that Dewpider might appear again as a recurring pokemon. And Lana may catch it in future episodes.
My thought exactly. Glad to see I'm not alone with this feeling.

Eh, I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like that the first 10 minutes of the episode were basically a pikachu short. I like pikachu shorts (or at least the older ones), but because they feature pokémon I'm familiar with and fond of. If Shizukumo doesn't end up getting captured after this, the fact that so much attention was put on it will feel like a complete waste, so... yeah, I think Suiren still has high chances of catching the thing.

Besides, I understand the narrator explains things mostly for kids and that this is a show directed at kids, but I think Shizukumo's situation would've still been understandable without him.

On the other hand, I don't understand the inclusion of the other classmates; the only ones I enjoyed were Suiren, Satoshi, Ashimari and Bevenom. I think the writers sometimes FEEL they have to include them just for the sake of including them, like it was the case with Team Rocket before Best Wishes.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom