• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM072: Ta-ta-ta-dough! Fire it Up, Mao's Family!!

Just because a series tries something new, it doesn’t necessarily mean that people will enjoy it. Different tastes for different folks, after all.

Anyway, this isn’t the right thread to discuss the opinions about the SM series as a whole. Please, keep the discussion related to this specific episode, thank you. ^^

So, Mao actually accomplished her life goal of finding a new recipe and make her father's restaurant famous. I guess that's the end of her storyline. SM is ending after all?
Ulu's brother was a disappointment for his family, what a surprise. Still, it's a selfish thing to do to leave your sisters' big moment, without saying anything. What a jerk.
Noa is taken, sorry Ulu. LOL!
Screenshot_2018-04-26-15-23-44-1.png
WHY?

Last edited:
So, Mao actually accomplished her life goal of finding a new recipe and make her father's restaurant famous. I guess that's the end of her storyline. SM is ending after all?
Ulu's brother was a disappointment for his family, what a surprise. Still, it's a selfish thing to do to leave your sisters' big moment, without saying anything. What a jerk.
Noa is taken, sorry Ulu. LOL!
Not really, it was mentioned in episode SM029 that this series should have 138 episodes, but I can be wrong.

No need to be a doomsayer of this series. (It's really just character growth progression rather than the end of a story line.)

This one needs subtitles for me to understand this episode.

Out of the way, Mallow's brother is basically Brock in that he is a cook that has a thing for women.

I was laughing when he caused all those Grepa berries to fall... straight into the maw of a Snorlax that was just there because reasons. Monumental bad luck is funny to me.

No need to be a doomsayer of this series. (It's really just character growth progression rather than the end of a story line.)

This one needs subtitles for me to understand this episode.

Out of the way, Mallow's brother is basically Brock in that he is a cook that has a thing for women.

I was laughing when he caused all those Grepa berries to fall... straight into the maw of a Snorlax that was just there because reasons. Monumental bad luck is funny to me.
That scene with Snorlax eating those Grepa berries was funny. And Kukui wasn't with them which is cool. He's been appearing a lot in this series, but I'm glad he didn't appear in this episode.

I'd love to see how the anime explains Anabel magically appearing on the international police force.

I'm willing to bet Ash won't remember Anabel or Looker.

By all means, I pray Looker just goes away. And this episode just feels like another filler episode.

Genuine, non-snarky question: Why do so many of you seem to be so laser focused on documenting the PokeProblems in each and every episode, to the point where itseems to be all anyone wants to about for large portions of any given review thread?

As for the episode itself...meh. I mean, it's a freaking bread making contest so there's not much you can do to make it seem interesting. Mao having a secret brother is cool, I guess, but I would have loved to see his Beroringa interact with Musashi to see if the writers remember that she used to have one of them back in the day.

Speaking of the Rocket trio, their entire plot was...we're doing really well at selling bread, and now suddenly we're not, so...the end?

martianmister said:
Screenshot_2018-04-26-15-23-44-1.png WHY?

I don't really know the "why," but I can at least explain the "what"; she's transformed into the Kewpie-chan, the Kewpie mayonnaise mascot.

This episode was decent only because of Abe and Mallow's brother. They were the only ones who kept me entertained throughout this episode. I thought it was funny that Ulu was flirtatious like Brock and had a crush on Nina. And on that note, I was surprised to find out that Nina was an adult; I legit thought she was a teenager and was shocked when she whipped out the fiance.:p

Anyway, the rest of this episode and the entire Bread Festival plot was pretty dull. I've always found Mallow to be one of the least interesting characters on this show, and this episode didn't change that whatsoever. Her family is miles more entertaining that her.

5/10 only because of Ulu and Abe.

This episode was decent only because of Abe and Mallow's brother. They were the only ones who kept me entertained throughout this episode. I thought it was funny that Ulu was flirtatious like Brock and had a crush on Nina. And on that note, I was surprised to find out that Nina was an adult; I legit thought she was a teenager and was shocked when she whipped out the fiance.:p

Anyway, the rest of this episode and the entire Bread Festival plot was pretty dull. I've always found Mallow to be one of the least interesting characters on this show, and this episode didn't change that whatsoever. Her family is miles more entertaining that her.

5/10 only because of Ulu and Abe.
So this one-hour special episode wasn't cool for you? I'd rather skip it if I were you. The good thing is Mallow won that bread contest and I'm so proud of her.

I don't really know the "why," but I can at least explain the "what"; she's transformed into the Kewpie-chan, the Kewpie mayonnaise mascot.
This seems familiar. Did they referenced it before? Also, Dogasu, SM is seems to be making references to japanese pop culture, more than they usually do since Kanto days. What do you think about that?
Mao having a secret brother is cool
Actually, he's not really secret, Mao talked about him before. We even see that pose with backs of him and his Beroringa before.

Nice animation in this one, plus a cute plot, even if contest episodes have been done to death. I liked Ulu! My ideal would have been to see him stick around and have an on-going courtship with the pancake girl (I'm a sucker for will-they-or-won't-they romance, sometimes I wish the show would have a bit more of that), but I wasn't surprised about her having a fiance already. I saw that coming! Anyway, this episode was much better than the first one, which was zzzzzz. I do wish they'd give Mao a bit more personality beyond "Mao is super-enthusiastic and loves cooking."

The TRio didn't really have any stand-out moments to me, but it was nice to see them. So pumped for next week! <3

Huh, I would've not imagined the word for "bread" in Japan would be the same as in my language. What gives? A lot of those puns work in Spanish too (I lol'd at "pancakes aren't pan but cakes"), but I imagine they will be lost in the Japanese-to-English-to-Spanish dub of the anime.

zrY4wUl.png

Ah, I see Ulu left to become a doctor this time.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom