• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM073: Rocket-dan's Island-Visiting!? Get the Z-Ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all are saying like "Kuchinashi" and "Nyasu"... Can you please use English names? I mean, I get it, technicality, but still. We all speak English here.

I'll agree. This is an english sight, and using the Japanese names honestly comes off as being a snob or genuinely acting obstuse.

I'll agree. This is an english sight, and using the Japanese names honestly comes off as being a snob or genuinely acting obstuse.

Or maybe some people have been seeing the japanese version for so long that they've grown more used to the japanese names instead of the english ones, which is my case and has nothing to do with being a snob or obtuse. I don't watch the dub anymore, so I have a hard time remembering what names they gave to Satoshi's classmates or their Pokémon, so I finally said "fuck it" and started using the japanese ones (although I still call most kanto Pokémon by their dubbed names because I'm more familarized with them lol)

Second preview of the episode:

Aaah, so Musashi breaks some stone and I guess that's what makes the Gengar mad.

Conversely, I've been removed from the English dub for so long that I have no idea what the hell people are talking about when they use names like "Nanu" or "Sophocles" or "Mallow."

My God, this is elitist snobbery of the highest order. Going to Bulbapedia to look this up is too much trouble? I wonder if these boards should be renamed Fushigarden Forums to accommodate this kind of snobbery. Bulbapedia also might as well be called Fushipedia.

Dogasu's Backpack 'Tag! We're It...!' Comparison said:
Fans of the English version were anxious to find out what Kouhei's and Honoka's dubbed names would be, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. It's one of the aspects of the fandom that I'll never get; I mean, why is everyone so eager to toss away the Japanese names that they had been using for months and months in favor of some English names that a few people up in New York came up with? Why does that idea seem to thrill people? And why are fans so quick to downgrade the Japanese names from "these are what we're going to call these characters" to "useless trivia that only elitist snobs use to make themselves seem smarter" in the first place?

Also, you once slammed the entire dub fandom for anticipating the reveal of any given character's English name. Why's that such a bad thing to do? Need I remind you that sometimes, some name changes need to happen? You think BW would've gotten away with having a Pokemon have a misogynistic name like "Vulgina" outside of Japan?

Honestly, you really do come across as exactly that type of elitist snob. Your whole website is proof of that. I really tried hard not to see you that way, but I can't anymore.

Last edited:
All of these people who are on my side are correct. For the opposing side who think it's cute or fun to call the characters by their Japanese names, if you are really that into it, then I personally invite you to change your browser's language and see how well you can navigate yourself from there.

All of these people who are on my side are correct. For the opposing side who think it's cute or fun to call the characters by their Japanese names, if you are really that into it, then I personally invite you to change your browser's language and see how well you can navigate yourself from there.
Sub elitism should've died a decade ago.

I could really not agree more. I don't know if people are trying to sound professional or higher above anyone else, but really it just sounds ridiculous sometimes.
It's a mixture, really. Dogasu's the face of the Pokemon fandom's sub elitism in general, though. But yes, it is truly ridiculous, and it's making me rethink my original positive feelings on the sub fandom, mainly due to the fact that I've seen them "correct" people for using dub names.

Okay, everyone, it’s now time for a cooldown!

In these forums, people are allowed to use English or Japanese names as much as they please. If some people are more comfortable with the original Japanese version and/or are more familiar with those names, then have all the rights to use them.

I know, it may be annoying to have to switch back and forth between languages and to seek for the translation of some names, but finding the names with a search site isn’t something that requires some long process, effort or whatever. A quick copy-paste and you are all set. Simple as that.

As such, let’s try to focus again on the actual topic of this thread, shall we?

Whoa, man. Staff member. Alright, you heard the big shot. Back to the episode!

Before we're all in trouble.

But this is a preview thread for the japanese airing of an episode, not for the dub. So...
You're 15 minutes late. A staff has arrived!

Do you speak Japanese or English? I should be able to know what Pokemon you guys are saying without opening a new tab, plugging it into google and then opening another page just to find out what Pokemon for the love of God who have better names in English, that you are talking about.

So anyways I'm really glad Musashi is getting a chance to use Z moves with Mimikyu, I was worried she'd get the backseat with Kojiro having the Dark Z crystal but that seems to be averted!

I wonder if the Alola Nyarth has some connection to Kuchinashi....

And is this the first time the Rocket trio has used the Nyarth balloon since....SM005? Not counting the ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom