• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM073: Rocket-dan's Island-Visiting!? Get the Z-Ring!!

There's no need for the dub to censor anything. It's not like they outright said that her Mimikyu is dead. She just said it was a ghost. There's no need to play around that more than the Japanese version already did.

Don't know if I've read this scene wrong, but on second viewing I suddenly got struck by the delicious irony in their reactions to Acerola's explanation of greedy vs lonely Gangar. Kojirou & Nyasu totally get that the beastie acted out because of loneliness and are like "Waaaaah, power of friendship is so beautiful blah blah!!" and Musashi (the loneliest girl who still pigs out on her bffs' sweet treats whenever she gets a chance...) doesn't get at all why her teammates are touched! She's so dumb and so lucky, jeez...

An episode where Team Rocket is thrown a bone is always a good episode in my book-they just never catch a break. And I feel they're at their best when succeed in activities that aren't related to catching Pikachu (Jessie's Contest career, the Trio's food careers, catching Pokemon the "right" way, etc.).

This episode was one of those episodes. Their characterization and interactions were comical and on point, annnnnnd they not only a Z-Ring, but another Z-Crystal to boot! An exclusive Z-Crystal as well! Even Ash doesn't permanently own one of those (yet?)! Mareanie using Black-Hole Eclipse is now one of my favorite animated Z-Moves (that aside, I was curious how this Z-Move would be animated and I wasn't disappointed). I'm eager to see Jessie and James switch off the Z-Ring to use their respective Pokemon's Z-Moves-they are two separate Trainers after all. I'm even more excited to see the next Team Rocket vs Ash confrontation.

I've never looked forward to a TR vs. Ash battle in my life.

Lastly, seeing a Gengar animated with the proper proportions for what seems like the very first time was very...fitting. I like that bigger size on it. To put it in perspective, Acerola is 4'9", while Gengar (who was noticeably a little taller than Acerola in this episode) are technically 4'11" tall (according to the games) as a species.

So, as I suspected, that Gengar is some sort of a totem pokemon, or at least an equivalent.
Biggest disappointment of this episode was the lack of the Alolan Nyasu. I hope they'll not forget him. Other than that, episode was really great in every way. I was almost expecting Satoshi to not appear at all, making it the only episode that he didn't appear while TR did, yet he appeared at the last minute. In this way, the episode reminds me the first DP episode: Both episodes are featuring someone else as the main character and Satoshi not even appear for the 90 percent of the episode, even Satoshi's scenes at the end were pretty similar to each other. It's also a good thing that they didn't bring up Kiteruguma, it's whole stick is getting really old at this point. Acerola was more princess-like than I expected, and Kuchinashi was kind of a dick towards TR, but I don't think it's a big deal. I'm not really sure what that Mimikkyu's deal is, but I hope they'll explain it in the next episode.

Last edited:
Well, technically he does, he just doesn't have the Pokémon to use it with anymore.
...He owns a Pikachu
It's been there for the past thousand episodes
Kinda hard to miss

:p

I suspect Ash's current Z-Crystals with metamorphose into unique crystals when the time comes

Rock-Z to Lycanroc-Z
Grass-Z to Decidueye-Z
Electric-Z to Pikachu-Z

Well, technically he does, he just doesn't have the Pokémon to use it with anymore.
Ah, therein lies the reason I forgot about it. Unlike Jessie, Ash won't be able to use that Z-Crystal daily (if much at all depending on how the series further handles Nebby). But yes, you're right-he technically owned an exclusive Z-Crystal first.

There is something I'm curious about after watching this episode,

So it looks like Acerola's Mimikyu is an actual ghost, but since Mimikyu is already a (part) ghost type... I always assumed ghost types were already spirits of dead Pokemon that happen to be re-incarnated into that ghost type Pokemon. So it's possible for a ghost type Pokemon to die, and become a ghost of a ghost? I'm a bit confused.

There is something I'm curious about after watching this episode,

So it looks like Acerola's Mimikyu is an actual ghost, but since Mimikyu is already a (part) ghost type... I always assumed ghost types were already spirits of dead Pokemon that happen to be re-incarnated into that ghost type Pokemon. So it's possible for a ghost type Pokemon to die, and become a ghost of a ghost? I'm a bit confused.
Perhaps not for all Ghost types...

Ghost type pokemon aren't actual ghosts, they're just similar and act like ghosts. Anime characters still afraid of actual ghosts and not afraid of ghost types.

Is this someone we know?

ZBTx7W.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom