• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM074: The Big Old Thug is an Island King!?

Looks like Giovanni may have a big role in upcoming episodes given his contact with Nanu this episode, would be nice as I enjoyed his improved role in Black and White

Would be nice to focus on Kiawe instead of Ash if he plans on entering the league

I feel like if you were trying to go for a pun on Krookodile's Japanese name with the episode title translation, wouldn't "this old crook is a kahuna?!" be more faithful to both the Pokémon's name and the meaning of waru (悪)?

Would be nice indeed if we got an arc about Team Rocket being a serious threat. Their arcs in Black and White kinda fell flat IMO.

The two parter that got scrapped following the earthquake could have made it good but sadly real life took a nasty turn

Added it to the page

Giovanni is a great character I feel, seriously underused as is english voice actor Ted Lewis
Yeah. He's great. I knew the classmates and Kukui would appear during the beginning of the episode. I don't understand one thing. Melemele Jenny has a Gumshoos, Akala Jenny a Granbull, Ula'ula Jenny an Oricorio Baile Style and what Pokemon would Poni Jenny have?

Yeah. He's great. I knew the classmates and Kukui would appear during the beginning of the episode. I don't understand one thing. Melemele Jenny has a Gumshoos, Akala Jenny a Granbull, Ula'ula Jenny an Oricorio Baile Style and what Pokemon would Poni Jenny have?

Probably a Ponyta?

ULTRA Necrozma?! :eek:

Well shit, son! :confused:

Oh, please tell me the Boss will step up to bat again like he did in Operation Tempest. Rainbow Rocket would be too much trouble for these people, but just seeing him in action again would be just as sweet, Maybe even better. (Especially in that fine new suit of his. :love:)

And hey, Kukui really IS making an Alolan League. And here I wondering if they'd actually go there...
(though this does have me a little concerned how longer the series will last :cautious:)

As a bonus, Ash finally loses an Island Challenge. Oh sure, he'll win next time, but it's always nice to see him not win on his first try.

Also, dat bite. (TPCI better not mess with it :cautious:)

Last edited:
So now Ash and his classmates know about the upcoming Pokémon League, and Ash and Kiawe are all fired up for it. Nice!

Can't wait for that Z-Move either, Jessie.

Wow, they were that close to each other, and yet Ash didn't see them? Okay.

So the Bewear distraction is still working. Good. The longer the better.

I wonder what Giovanni and Nanu talked about. Can't wait for the subtitles. Five bucks bet it's something related to Necrozma.

Oh, Poipole. Why must you be so adorable?

Nanu clearly noticed something unusual about Ash's Lycanroc and Poipole. Good, makes sense...

N'awww, them playing with all those Meowth was kinda cute and funny.

HOLY HECK!! ULTRA NECROZMA BUILDUP ALREADY?! DEFINITELY WASN'T EXPECTING THAT!! HECK YEAH!!

Acerola pulling the cute face to convince Nanu.

Still using Tackle? Well, hopefully not for long...

As guessed, Lycanroc goes berserk again. That's going to be the next big obstacle for Ash to overcome.

I didn't even know Krookodile could learn Counter. But yeah, an expected loss.

Man, Matori can be obnoxious. I can fully understand why Jessie hates her so much.

Next week, training with the lazy Legendary!
You called the Ultra Necrozma bit.

To be honest I was dreading the Ultra Necrozma / Poipole conclusion arc because the whole Ultra Guardian thing is very boring to me. But Giovanni inclusion could make it a lot more interesting, and then maybe they could keep Nanu relevant for longer than this current arc.

Well THAT was a lot of plot in one go!
... The League...
... Satoshi vs Kaki at the League...
... Pika vs Mimi...
... Sakaki vs Unholy White Necrozma... (plus surely this Rocket/Kuchinashi/Interpol connection also means maybe Handsome returns...)
... Resolution of dirt-induced rabid dog...
... Maybe, God forbid, Satoshi now taking battling and training seriously again... (...Nah.)

For an episode that introduced a number of new loose ends without really resolving any old ones, it felt surprisingly well paced and kept up interest throughout.

I loved Satoshi getting a little bit of character development - getting knocked down and being upset and recognising that Lugarugan was also upset AND opening up his vulnerabilities with it!! He's been fun to watch this saga, full of personality, so it's nice to see him demonstrate this even in unhappy mode.

Kuchinashi is amazing and his phonecall with Sakaki was everything I ever wanted. Sakaki needs to make an in the flesh appearance in SM or I will die of disappointment!

Btw, I hate myself for this, but that little bastard Bevenom has totally grown on me...

You know how people have been complimenting Sun&Moon's art for being able to represent soft fur well? Kuchinashi is similarly amazing in that the artists are able to represent someone who looks like he hasn't showered in days!

Lots of plot build-up this episode and I'm very intrigued! I feel like it's building up to the anime's equivalent of Rainbow Rocket. Whether it's going to go anywhere near the level the games went I think something with the Rocket organization as a whole is coming. And Musashi practicing her Z-Moves was too cute!

Props for Satoshi losing/taking it seriously! It most likely won't be a big turning point for his character this saga as he'll re-challenge Kuchinashi and then forget all about it but it's nice for now.

Here's hoping Suiren participates in the league too x: It's been too much of a boys' club

Ah, finally Nanu. My favorite Kahuna is here and I LOVE him. He seems way less intimidating than he is in the games, but just as funny and likable. Seriously, little things like him playing a game and trying to ignore the phone to bickering with Acerola just make him all the more enjoyable. I also love that they actually gave him a bunch of Meowth like he has in the games. And all of those Meowth were hilarious as well.

I was happy to see Acerola too. She's so adorable and I love her sooooo much.

Poipole on the other hand annoyed me. I haven't payed all too much attention to it so far, but it really got on my nerves in this episode. It seems to be another bratty Pokemon who thinks all of its mischief is funny and I'm not a fan at all.

And for the battle...meh. It was obvious Ash would lose and honestly, I can't even feel sorry for him. He's done barely any real training/battling this entire saga, not to mention that its been nearly 40 DAMN EPISODES since his last Kahuna battle so seeing him do well here would have been ridiculous as all hell. It's inevitable that he's gonna train in the next episode and beat Nanu soon despite not even doing a single Ula'ula trail therefore he shouldn't even be eligible to battle Nanu at all, BUT we all know the writers don't give a damn about the Island Challenge so I won't waste my energy on another rant on that.

Overall, and enjoyable episode thanks Nanu and Acerola. Only TR was lame, as usual. 8/10.

Bevenom is a bully and should be shot and burned. I still can't stand its baby voice; don't find it adorable at all.

I enjoyed this episode. Team Rocket's appearances didn't have much to do with the plot, it was only them reacting to or realizing stuff, although it was nice to see what they're up to. Hurray for build-up towards Pikachu vs Mimikkyu in two more episodes. Also, it was super cute to see Mimikkyu showing enthusiasm for using the Z-Move with Musashi (although the little shit was probably just excited to use it on Pikachu!); it's come far since the days it didn't listen to her and showed indifference towards almost everything.

Kuchinashi's bunch of Alola Nyasu sure are agressive lol I love that he tried to hide his identity from Satoshi, too. Acerola and Mimi-tan are still adorable <3 And wow, was that a lot of plot for one episode. Sakaki better be involved in all of this in a MAJOR way later on! Why did you have to hang up, Kuchinashi??? I wanted to know more!!!

It was great to see Satoshi being upset about his loss. His expression during that scene conveyed so much emotion, nice drawing. Has he shown such negative/depressing emotions this series apart from when Mooland died and Nyabby was mourning? I can't remember.

And, if Kaki's going to enter the league, I hope that doesn't mean the writers are gonna rush and make him capture 4 (or 3 if you count Charizard) more Pokémon. There's no way that could work...

Did you guys notice Nebby, Gladion and his Pokemon in this episode? I think they only appear during the flashback where Ash remembers the events of SM047 when his Lycanroc went berserk. Also, three Murkrow can be seen in a scene where Team Rocket Trio gets a message some Matori. Actually, the way Acerola steals Nanu's kendama was a smart decision.

Is it just me or did they really imply that Kuchinashi was a criminal in the past?

Well that flashback...was totally irrelevant to the episode or even why Satoshi just now decided to resume his Trial. I mean it was informative, if predictable, but you could've taken it out and it wouldn't change a thing. The least they could've done in the flashback is at least say that Satoshi will go to the next island to help out with the dream, but nope.
Right, Satoshi, a Pokemon League, I mean it's not like you've never been in one bef...oh, wait, yes you were.
Oh, and Lycanroc was thoroughly curb-stomped? But they did all that butt-wiggling and it wasn't enought? I am shocked.

Solid episode. This episode felt more like a build up for future things rather than much actually happening here.

I'm glad to see the classmates won't be involved in this, because despite (most of them) being underdeveloped, this allows Ash to further interact with Acerola, Nanu, his Pokémon, and if we're lucky, some of those charming OS interactions with Team Rocket. :D

PROS:
-Great buildups

-Actual confirmation of Alola League means this series will hopefully be more than just rushed arcs and slice of life episodes

-Ultra Necrozma introduction

-Episode didn't feel rushed

-Torracat being a cat

-Alolan Meowth shenanigans were fun

-Intimidating group of TRio and their Pokémon was amusing

-Giovanni actually being relevant for the first time in about-- 6 years?

CONS:

-Poipole is slowly starting to annoy me because half of its antics involve getting other people into trouble without receiving any type of comeuppance or redeeming moments. The only thing that I liked was it genuinely apologizing.

-Battle was pretty subpar, even for SM standards

FINAL SCORE:

8.6/10

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom