• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM075: Kapu-Bulul! Intense Lazy Training!!

So this is what passes for a training episode in this day and age? :unsure:

Anyway, the best non-Rocket part of this episode was definitely this cursed image of Pikachu:

pikachu_melt.png

The music that played while Kapu-Bulul was making that tree grow was really cool. It's been a while since the show's BGM really stood out to me. Back in the dark, pre-YouTube days I would have so coveted a download of it somehow.

Also, I don't usually go for the "Satoshi convinces his out-of-control Pokemon to get ahold of itself by remembering heartwarming things" moments because it's SO overused by now in the show. I mean, really. That said, this one did get a genuine "aww" from me. I must have been in the right mood.

Bonus points for some lovely animation here, too. Big improvement from the last episode, I think.

It was very cute to see Ash and his party travelling and interacting together, and I also liked how Tapu Bulu's powers were showcased. However, the pacing was off and the scenes were very slow, the way the new moves were obtained was very questionable and it's reminscent of BW. The episode isn't boring but it's not the "Intensive Training" it promises.

I wasn't expecting a training episode with no training. I also wasn't expecting Lugarugan's PTSD about getting dirty to be resolved with no explanation, the same way how it came out of nowhere in the first place. But what I really didn't see coming is how they just gave a new move to Mokuroh, a pokemon spend most of its screentime as sleeping in a bag. Truly, you can't say that SM isn't full of surprises.

well, I think Lycanroc used Tackle, but he might have been used a Headbutt attack, in my opinion, let's just wait in the english dubbed version

Pikachu annoyed me when he just jumped on Rotom to try to save the bird and when he ditched Ash climbing the cliff. There was no reason for him to knock Rotom away when he was also trying to save Rowlet. Furthermore, he had no reason to literally abandon his trainer while he was climbing up the side of a damn mountain. I really don't get why this series portrays Pikachu as randomly being super uncaring to the people close to him. If it was another of Ash's Pokemon, I could accept it, but it's still so odd to see Pikachu portrayed in this manner.
Pikachu was using Rotom as an aerial platform for an extra boost of height - it wasn't doing it to be a jerk

It also didn't "ditch" Ash, but was instead going ahead to wait for him at the top. It knows darn well Ash can scale sheer rock walls without issue, so why weigh him down?

If you wanna get irritated, get irritated at the fact Rowlet sat on a tree and somehow learned how to throw leaves slightly harder without training at all

Rowlet is really suppressed. It's just now learning Razor Leaf? It learns that right before it evolves. Hopefully we will be seeing Dartrix soon.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom