• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM079: Meteno and Bevenom, the Promise that Disappeared into the Starry Sky!

Eh...this episode confused me. I'm reeaaaaaaaallllllllllyyyy gonna need to wait for the dub for this cuz I was pretty lost the entire time. I guess it was supposed to sentimental with Poipole bonding with Minior before it went back to space; I just felt that they really didn't bond that much for all of them to be as sad as they all seemed to be. Then again, I guess Poipole is supposed to be like a baby. I suppose it isn't that strange for it or the main cast to be sad about it leaving.

I won't even review this one. It wouldn't be fair for me to give this episode a low score when I had no idea what was going on. I did think it was cute, and I liked that we even got some focus on Sophy. I just need to understand what was going on.
The Meteno didn't go back to space, they disappeared, that's what happens when they lose their shell. Basically, they're all dead.

That's why this episode is upsetting, because Bevenom and Māmane in the past both lost a friend who they will never see again.

Satoshi asked if there was something they could do to prevent a Minior from disintegrating. Funnily enough, the same Pokedex entry that says that they die off if left unexposed for too long also has another entry right next to it that says it's possible for it to survive if put into a Poke Ball quick enough.
It was pretty good as an emotional episode. I actually have to give it props for how it handled losing a friend. Of course, the impact of the loss is dimished by the fact that we only got to know it for 3/4 of an episode, so we didn't really get to make an emotional attachment.
The highlight though is the background throughout this episode. Seriously, it's frightening how detailed it is compared to what we've seen from this series so far.

I have such mixed feelings about this episode. On the one hand, the first 3/4 of it was a whole lot of nothing, the animation was stiff and the art was just kind of meh, the Rocket trio wasn't here (because who wants space themed characters in an episode set at an observatory), and also WTF was with that super jarring transition into that 30 second sequence from the baseball episode!? I thought Hulu was glitching out on me for a moment there.

But the fact that this show had the guts to honor Meteno's Pokemon Beastiary entry by showing a bunch of them Thanos-ing away really helped turn the episode from a pointless snoozefest to one of the more memorable episodes of the year. And then! Rayquaza comes in at the very end there and honors its Pokemon Bestiary entry as well! When Sun & Moon started back in 2016 who would have thought that this goofy slapstick comedy series for little kids would have not one but two episodes (so far!) that use death as a major theme?!?

Also, this episode gets bonus points for managing to make Bevenom tolerable and *not* act like an annoying brat for once.

KrspaceT said:
I wonder if the Kukui and Molyane conv. was about the Alola league.

It was about Kukui asking Mullein why the hell he didn't bother coming to his wedding lol.

Just kidding, here's what they actually said:

Kukui: "It looks like the weather's going to be nice today."
Mullein: "Hmm...if this keeps up then it'll be perfect for viewing the Meteno tonight."
Kukui: "That should make everyone happy."
Mullein: "So, Kukui...how much are you planning to tell the children about Meteno?"
Kukui: "All of it. These kids are going to encounter all sorts of pokemon from here on out, you see. It'll be good for them to learn about this pokemon we call Meteno."
Mullein: "And where are they now?"
Kukui: "Oh, they're still fast asleep."

This conversation is great because when you watch the episode a second time it shows that they knew how the whole thing was going to end. Kukui wanted the kids to see all those pokemon die.

HiroHunter said:
Is it bad to say I could care less about watching this ep?

Yes, because the phrase you're looking for is couldn't care less. Not could :p

I literally cried while watching this ep. Such an emotional ep. Sm never fails to impress!
That ash poipole hug was so cute

I watched the ep and I still don't care, the whole ep was boring. And its try to make me feel something failed because I know what was going to happen from the start.

I watched the ep and I still don't care, the whole ep was boring. And its try to make me feel something failed because I know what was going to happen from the start.
Which is why I, close to the end of XY, started watching episodes blind without going through screenshots or reading anything about it first. That way, any emotional impact won't be ruined.

I suggest you try that, too.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom