• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM092: Kukui's Desperate Situation! Another Royal Mask!!

What was Kukui expecting to happen? Mullein and Sauboh had same type of body.
Kukui is a pretty chill guy. His wife proclaim her love for some other man while he smiles.
They changed Sauboh's photo in poke-problem segment from stock art to magical girl one.

Have to admit, I found this to be a bit disappointing

Nice to see James appear without the others having an impact

Nice continuity with Mad Boober returning, I reckon the Golem, Muk and Poliwrath were probably the Revengers which we can't confirm

Nice that Pikachu stopped Torracat from going to the ring this time

Incineroar was cute having those children on its arms

What happened to Faba this days? He stole kukui's mask, and the people didn't liked at all, so kukui saved the day.

And that episode was good.

This episode is pretty mixed as nothing else happens except the funny scene of Burnett red face and Faba disguised as Masked Royal after tiding Molayne and get wrecked by Mad Boober's Magmortar.

Other than that this is a decent episode.

I love Shinichiro Miki with all my heart...yet that monologue right before the commercial break where the animation was waaaaaaaaaay more energetic than his performance really kind of bummed me out :/ Why did it sound like he was phoning it in so much there?
In the anime, voice acting is done after the animation is done (as you probably knew). I think they changed/added his lines at the last minute, or he improvised these in the studio.
My bad, turns out the Muk, Golem and Poliwrath were actually stuffed toys, used as punching bags
That explains it.

Meh wasnt so cool. It was kinda boring. If you saw the previews, you saw the episode you could say. It was boring and is BURNet now cheating or not? Lol SM is about so much love: SM91,92,93 three in a row lol

Are we going narrator-less for the rest of the series? The episode was both introduced and closed in-character by Kukui again.

Kukui's voice actor takes over Ishizuka's role as the narrator. We already got a taste of that earlier for a few episodes.
But those episodes were also narrated in-character. I mean a narration from an outsider's POV like Ishizuka's used to be, voiced by someone who's not one of the main characters in the show. And come to think of it, they did say Kenyuu Horiuchi would be taking over as Principal Oak, but didn't mentioned Ishizuka's other roles.

But those episodes were also narrated in-character. I mean a narration from an outsider's POV like Ishizuka's used to be, voiced by someone who's not one of the main characters in the show. And come to think of it, they did say Kenyuu Horiuchi would be taking over as Principal Oak, but didn't mentioned Ishizuka's other roles.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. The one true way to be sure...

Kukui almost got to meet Masked Royal, but once again events transpire to keep them apart

One day, Kukui, one day...

tumblr_pglh65pIAe1wyyr65o1_1280.jpg

MAMA
JUST KILLED A MAN
PUT A CAT UPON HIS HEAD
BODY SLAMMED HIM NOW HE'S DEAD

Last edited:
I completely forgot about this episode. I guess that it will take a while for me to get used to having new episodes airing on Sunday.
I find in interesting how in Sun and Moon James seems to be having a bit more spotlight than Jessie.

I don't understand what they're aiming at with this Burnet/Royal Mask business. Her crush seems to make her uncomfortable rather than anything else, so why are they trying to sell it as a "cute" story thread?! Kukui, for the love of God, please put an end to torturing your wife sooner than later - I'm sure she won't be too bothered that she's already married to her hero!! :rolleyes:

That aside, I really did find it to be an enjoyable episode! Mullein & Sauboh were brilliant, although for me Kojirou stole every scene he was in. To my surprise, I like the way that SM have set up scenarios in which the TRio haven't had to be joined at the hip. Kojirou going gaga over a collectable item was a very him thing to do. I also like the way the story played out so that Sauboh managed to keep Kukui's identity secret from him even whilst showing off that he knew him!

Only thing missing was Kojirou also taking his shirt off to be a fake Royal Mask, but I guess he's not skinny and pale enough for it to be funny? ;) *le sigh*

Only thing missing was Kojirou also taking his shirt off to be a fake Royal Mask, but I guess he's not skinny and pale enough for it to be funny?
Nope, he's actually buff enough to pass as a discount Royal (as seen in the hot springs episode a few months ago)

FabaJim.jpg
Only thing missing was Kojirou also taking his shirt off to be a fake Royal Mask, but I guess he's not skinny and pale enough for it to be funny? ;) *le sigh*
Nope, he's actually buff enough to pass as a discount Royal (as seen in the hot springs episode a few months ago)
[Some-Stuffs]_Pocket_Monsters_Sun_&_Moon_86_[D15E22E6].mkv_snapshot_23.45_[2018.08.20_13.42.50].jpg
meowth_james_in_speedo_and_jessie_in_bikini_while_blasting_off_in_pokemon.jpg

This episode was perfect! James was adorable. I am so happy of the return of all his great high emotivity and exaggerated reactions like in the OS, AG, DP. He is so childish and insecure but in his "Fire Kojiro role" he is more confident. I adore the complexity of this character that must be decrypted by reading between the line. He is so passionate and attentive to every detail. It is a real hyper-sensitive person in all his splendor.
I think there are 2 winks that only hardcore fans can understand : "Fire Kojiro" (the "Fortune Hunter" episode with Moltres James) and the orange costume (The Pokemon Radio Show)

But what does this story about James "buff" ?! He has always been skinny! Not as much as Faba, he has a very pretty beautiful skinny body.
James with a DBZ style was a parody and with a muscular arm was a joke and Yugi-oh character parody.

I think he left the role of "Royal Mask" at Faba because he did not like to be the center of attention himself. He prefers to do the MC to boast the triumphs of his idol that he admires with all his passion. He lacks self-confidence as explained in the episodes "A faux Oak finish" and "Dressed for Jess success". It is also very well shown in the episode: "The fortune hunters" when the pokemon fortune book boosts his confidence;
Watch as he apologizes when Faba tells him to calm down, how worried he is about Musashi angry to him being late from his "little break", how he's hiding under his cap on his way to Royal Mask's lodge.

I really loved this episode because I had the feeling that it was highlighting several small details of Kojiro's behavior that had been forgotten in the more recent series/episodes and are very important to me.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom