• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM098: Splitting Up the Combination!? Satoshi and Rotom

Laki explained that he had always wanted to be an actor and worked towards that, then asked Rotom what his dream is. Turns out Rotom's dream is to be the world's best zukan (lol), for which "travelling" with Satoshi is more conducive than being a star in his favourite tv show.
Ah. I guess I'll just call that an ok-ish middle ground and leave it at that. I suppose it could have been worse.

I only just got around to watching this episode (being up-to-date with this show becomes super low priority to me when the Rocket trio's absent for long stretches) and boy oh boy did I hate it.

Satoshi was obscenely out of character here.

First, he blows up at Rotom for wanting to go abroad and follow its dreams , something he's never really ever done before. Letting his friends leave him to do their own thing is like quintessential Satoshi , right? Can you imagine if they had him pull this shit with Butterfree? Lizardon? Takeshi?

And then, when Rotom argues that he's not Satoshi's pokemon and is therefore free to do whatever he wants, SATOSHI TRIES TO GET HIM IN ORDER TO FORCE HIM TO STAY. Did nobody on the show's staff see how fucked up that is? This series has always had this uncomfortable Pokemon Trainers = masters, Pokemon = slaves undercurrent to it and seeing Satoshi try to get Rotom to control its free will is a terrible reminder of that. And what was he going to do if he had actually succeeded? Drag an unwilling Rotom around with him for the rest of the series, yelling at him that he can't leave because "you're mine now, you have to do what I say." Gross.

There are other issues with this episode as well but "Asshole Satoshi" is definitely its biggest one.

First, he blows up at Rotom for wanting to go abroad and follow its dreams , something he's never really ever done before. Letting his friends leave him to do their own thing is like quintessential Satoshi , right? Can you imagine if they had him pull this shit with Butterfree? Lizardon? Takeshi?
Not to mention how hypocritical he was, considering he'll most likely leave Rotom-dex at the end of this series.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom