• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM102: Alola at Alola! Takeshi and Kasumi!!

Not everything has to be about battling. An episode can be good even without it.
Agreed. This episode was an enjoyable one in my opinion. I don't watch Pokemon for battles anyway. I just watch it to see what each series has in store for us and the different characters. Still not better than EP42 but def. not a bad one imho.

Takeshi: Look guys, I build us a camp. We can sleep outside and share the same tent together, just like good old times in Kanto and Johto!
Kasumi: Is that something we used to do? I don't remember anything like that.
Satoshi: Neither do I. We usually stay in Pokecenters and cabins in the woods.
Takeshi: ...Wow, you're right! I guess I mistaken us with someone else, like XY gang!

NOSTALGIA FAIL!

Honestly, Team Rocket fight was the only interesting part. My thoughts:
  • First half of the episode was too uneventful. Without TR, it would be a boring episode.
  • I like that TR mecha was hard to beat, even with all their combined power. I also like the lack of Kiteruguma saves TR plot device.
  • Kasumi seems kinda sad, and lonely? Would be fun if she decide to stay for a while.
  • So, according to Suiren, Sunnygo branches are not really from Sunnygo? Seems wrong.
  • So, Satoshi brings her very first friend to the island he visited in anime's 20th anniversary, same "anniversary" that referenced none of his old friends? Ironic.
  • That tickling scene was random. Kasumi is quite strong, I guess.
  • Still no word on Kenji's whereabouts!

Last edited:
A great relaxing episode, not surprising as the Sun & Moon series is good at them and well needed after the big stuff from last week.

Takeshi: Look guys, I build us a camp. We can sleep outside and share the same tent together, just like good old times!
Takeshi: Wow, you're right. I guess mistaken us with XY gang!

NOSTALGIA FAIL!

Honestly, Team Rocket fight was the only interesting part. My thoughts:
  • First half of the episode was too uneventful. Without TR, it would be a boring episode.
  • I like that TR mecha was hard to beat, even with all their combined power. I also like the lack of Kiteruguma saves TR plot device.
  • Kasumi seems kinda sad, and lonely? Would be fun if she decide to stay for a while.
  • So, according to Suiren, Sunnygo branches are not really from Sunnygo? Seems wrong.
  • So, Satoshi brings her very first friend to the island he visited in anime's 20th anniversary, same "anniversary" that referenced none of his old friends? Ironic.
  • That tickling scene was random. Kasumi is quite strong, I guess.
The reason why Bewear couldn't save TR Trio is because she was busy watching over her child, Stufful now that they are reunited.

Not everything has to be about battling. An episode can be good even without it.

Agreed. Sadly this wasn't one of them.

I mean, what is even the point of bringing Brock to Alola if you're going to dump him in the nearest Pokémon Center? The original group is reunited, but instead of having them hang out together, Brock is left to take care of a Yungoos.

Brock's appearance amounted to him flirting with Nurse Joy at the beginning of the episode and cooking at the end of it. This has the same weight to his cameos in the Best Wishes series when Dawn mentioned him during a conversation with Iris. You know something is wrong when Brock being de facto in an episode equals Dawn namedropping him.

I mean, what is even the point of bringing Brock to Alola if you're going to dump him in the nearest Pokémon Center? The original group is reunited, but instead of having them hang out together, Brock is left to take care of a Yungoos.

The most infuriating thing about this is that this would have been the perfect time to bring back Takeshi's Lucky for an episode. Not only would it suit the situation, but you'd think the show would want to squeeze in more Kanto Pokemon at the moment. But no, the poor girl is still left to rot in her ball...

So what is the point for this "old cast return" if they have already done it last year? And if they truly need it, why not some other characters (like from XYZ). This is anime, it is not like they couldn't afford to rehire Takeru Satoh or anything.

Anyway, the battle is good and it is nice to see the Rocket Gang blasting off properly.

I've always wanted a slice-of-like style for Pokémon but that's supposed to be more than "characters doing random stuff" for half an hour.

You can tell there's no actual plot when they have to pull off the good old Team Rocket trick to make something happen to conclude the thing. Except this time they dragged it for so long, it almost looked like a series finale with all the "finishing moves" the group pulled. Not even the BW finale spent so much time doing the same with Ash's team.

Also, I don't want to be that guy, but I've noticed ever since USUM came out, everything gets interpreted as Rainbow Rocket foreshadowing around here. I too want it to happen guys, but before the Necrozma arc we thought Rainbow Rocket was coming because Giovanni showed up. Now we're thinking Rainbow Rocket is coming because Giovanni doesn't show up. For all we know it may have been just a ploy to get the TRio worried.

Mostly a sightseeing episode like the one where they visited Prof. Oak's lab. Eh. Could have used more Brock.

Was the TR mech a reference to something? It reminded me a bit of Red Baron.

Was the TR mech a reference to something?
It was a reference to Evangelion, first when it's shrouded in shadow with the TRio standing on a catwalk and in its color scheme - it's very similar to Eva Unit 02, which is red and orange, although James called it a Mark 3 (since there's Eva Unit 00 and 01 that came before, he's technically not wrong...)
gos2_nerv-hq_eva01-cage.jpg
eva_2-22_130.png

Or else its design is one of the millions of Gundam, Super Sentai, etc robots out there

Takeshi: Look guys, I build us a camp. We can sleep outside and share the same tent together, just like good old times in Kanto and Johto!
Takeshi: ...Wow, you're right! I guess I mistaken us with someone else, like XY gang!

NOSTALGIA FAIL!
The focus was clearly on the food. The tent was just Brock's way to avoid being near a Nurse Joy with a Luxray fetish.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom