• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM102: Alola at Alola! Takeshi and Kasumi!!

Not everything has to be about battling. An episode can be good even without it.

I don't say other wise but seeing and comparing it to older generations anime I miss the goal and battles...
I like the new take... but shouldn't it be for a spin off or make this anime longer but also implement more battles, training and other stuff to satisfy all.

I find it weird that TR would freak out about selling doughnuts for the rest of their life considering they do stuff like that more than their actual job.
And when Jamses lamented how they might be ignored because they didn't bring any results I was like "So...same as before?" I mean, it just seems rather belated to be worrying about that at this point and especially since we know it won't get any better in the future.

So, ever since the poster for this season was released, I've had this random thought in my head (and while not relevant to this OG gang re-reunion episode (which I haven't watched yet), I feel it's still relevant to the whole "bring back old companions"):

Do you remember back when episodes 42-43 were released and the team behind the anime said that if it proved to be popular enough, we could get more trips to other regions, thus reuniting with more of his previous companions (which, in my opinion, would make this series feel more like a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the anime)?

Yeah, me neither... :cry:

They always ate Brock's food outdoors. I'm saying that viewers were supposed to think of that.

As for the tent, my explanation is that Brock gave up on Joy and clearly didn't want to sleep in a married man's house.

Now that the subtitles are released and it was revealed that Lana and Misty have secretly been pen pals ever since the Kanto field trip, I just can't help but be plagued by a humungous sense of “what could have been,” thinking of how amazing SM102 & SM103 would have been if instead of Brock & Misty making a reappearance like this, Ash had been the one to "surprise" the class and revealed that he had been secretly keeping in touch with Serena through E-Mail, and invited her over to Alola. And then there had been some cute interactions between Sylveon & Nagisa, and maybe even a battle between Lillie & Serena or some other moment between them. What a world it would have been…

Need to point out all the kids did well in Mantine Surf and they didn't do the same trope from SM085 (like people thought they would).
Ash pulling off a lame Magikarp Splash and not even making it out of the wave tunnel is exactly that, because Ash is never allowed to be good at anything besides battles in Alola :p

So the class is on vacation now. Finally, a break from all those school and exams-centric episodes! I wonder which unique adventures can come from it as the group never has time to go on their own adventures and explore places!
(In all seriousness, this could mean that the Poni Arc is coming sooner than we think. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually starts on SM104 given the new ending)

Anyway, the episode wasn't that bad, but it suffered from a lack of plot like SM042 and SM020. It should have focused either on Misty helping Eevee with a move or a Mantine surf competition. Misty got more focus than I expected, and the TR fight was fine (their Pokemon were robbed of an appearance though).

Did anybody else notice how Luxray has Officer Jenny's colours and how she was brought the pre-evolution of Jenny's pokémon. Like everytime Brock fawns over Joy, the attention goes to something that can be related to Jenny. I'm dying on this ship.

Did anybody else notice how Luxray has Officer Jenny's colours and how she was brought the pre-evolution of Jenny's pokémon. Like everytime Brock fawns over Joy, the attention goes to something that can be related to Jenny. I'm dying on this ship.
Those small pieces of lore hiding from the censors and shamelessly flying over the kids’ heads.

Its been awhile since I've done a review... I think I'll always review an episode heavily featuring Kasumi.

The animation was flawless, and Kasumi is prettier than I remember her being the last time she showed up though I've always thought she was very cute.

Sun and Moon is probably the anime series with the best characterization for both the humans and Pokemon alike. In the most subtle ways, they differentiate everyone. For example, Mao being so girly and excited about the newlywed couple who own the pancake shop and telling Misty, who was mildly interested.

Suiren joking about the horns of Corsola being really used because of said Pokemon's reaction to Misty showing her Pokemon because she thought it would be excited was another great moment.

Today, we were treated to two OPs being played in the episode and both times, it fit. I never realized how much the words fit Satoshi until that moment when everyone was having fun, and it also fit the sort of sadness that Kasumi seems to be hiding/feeling in this episode.

There seems to be foreshadowing of Kasumi maybe staying in Aloha for awhile with the way she's being portrayed in this episode. Also, Satoshi says to her, "There's so much I want to show you..." Or something like that near the end before the episode ends with the three of them sleeping in a tent like old times.

Sun and Moon is very consistent and the writers seem to go back and see how characters behave in order to create a realistic return to these old pals of Satoshi.

Out of the three, it is most likely Kasumi who would stay in touch with someone as seen throughout the series. How do we know that? Kenji is only seen with Kasumi when he does show up. Also, she is seen multiple times throughout the series watching Satoshi's league matches in her gym and in Hoenn, she decided to have them join her in something that she could've easily done by herself.

Because of that, it was easy to see that Kasumi would be a pen pal to Suiren. Also, it made sense that she would being Takeshi back with her also.

Kasumi's competitive nature with Satoshi is also really nice to see. The latter hasn't really had a friend that's competitive with him in awhile so it was nice to see her challenge him in a jump battle.

The battle at the end was fantastic. I love seeing Rocket Gang in general. The original OP playing in the background really felt special. I dunno why but I felt so happy and nostalgic that I nearly cried.

In regards to other pokegirls showing up, I would love that however I think its smart that they chose Kasumi outside of promo for the new game.

1. I feel she's most relatable and malleable to make it work for plots.

2. Serena coming back wouldn't involve much of the cast because she would be wanting to spend time with Satoshi and probably trying to impress him.

3. Hikari's last reappearance didn't go so well. She becomes whoever she's around. She's also a second Satoshi.

4. I have a hard time imagining anime Iris being able to mesh with any casts.

5. Haruka would probably be amazing to come back because she has the contest behind her, is such a different character, but her shyness would probably keep her from being a pen pal with anyone.

Anywhizzles...
I am looking forward to next week's episode.

PROS:
* TRio returning after 5 episodes :sick:
* Continunity not being limited to just Kanto with Misty's Corsola (no Mareanie though?)
* Battle was animated surprisingly good
* No forced Bewear blast-off
* The ending scene with Ash, Misty and Brock

CONS:
* Everything else.

Pretty boring episode, and 80% of the episode was just a rehash of stuff already done before in the series. Next episode looks a lot more promising though!

OVERALL SCORE:
5.5/10

Please someone respond to this

I’m not entirely sure about what to think of all of this

Misty and Lana getting along does seem nice and very appropriate all things considered, but (and this is probably just the Pokeshipper in me talking) I kind of wished that she and Ash got more scenes together

Also, the initial final ending scene still kind of bothers, because I genuinely thought that Ash and Misty were passed that point where she would call him things like a ‘kid’. This is pretty much just like how I felt about that Cerulean Gym battle episode; Misty and Brock still give Ash a hard time about those two gym badges and Misty still teased Ash for just feeling proud about his victory against her.

First of all, I still say that saying that Ash won those first two badges out of pity is incorrect when you think about it. And secondly I honestly just cannot stand the points where Ash gets teased, that was actually part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the Orange Islands saga and the Johto saga; that aspect of the character dynamic was starting to fade until it was almost gone. It all just struck me as being overly harsh on our main character, even in the rare episodes when I agree that he kind of asked for it.

I honestly thought that Ash had both Misty and Brock’s respect as both a trainer and a person by now

Please someone respond to this

I’m not entirely sure about what to think of all of this

Misty and Lana getting along does seem nice and very appropriate all things considered, but (and this is probably just the Pokeshipper in me talking) I kind of wished that she and Ash got more scenes together

Also, the initial final ending scene still kind of bothers, because I genuinely thought that Ash and Misty were passed that point where she would call him things like a ‘kid’. This is pretty much just like how I felt about that Cerulean Gym battle episode; Misty and Brock still give Ash a hard time about those two gym badges and Misty still teased Ash for just feeling proud about his victory against her.

First of all, I still say that saying that Ash won those first two badges out of pity is incorrect when you think about it. And secondly I honestly just cannot stand the points where Ash gets teased, that was actually part of the reason why I actually enjoyed the Orange Islands saga and the Johto saga; that aspect of the character dynamic was starting to fade until it was almost gone. It all just struck me as being overly harsh on our main character, even in the rare episodes when I agree that he kind of asked for it.

I honestly thought that Ash had both Misty and Brock’s respect as both a trainer and a person by now
Lol Misty would be so surprised if she saw XY Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom