• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM105: Decisive Lugarugan Battle! Satoshi VS Glazio!!

Also, you didn't give a proper answer to the question, instead just stating your own opinion about her.

Well, I meant that technically Hapu is mad at Ash because she thought he stole her radishes. But in the games they write her so adult despite her size that you’d think she’d have made some sort of arrangement with Professor Kukui for this field trip, and would therefore realize early on that the culprits were probably Team Skull - or at least, if she didn’t, be quick enough to apologize to Ash for her mistake - but here in the anime she’s brought down to that bratty kid mentality so the story can “work”.

Also for those who don’t know, I was referring to the episode in the original series where Ash gets banned from the Celadon City Gym simply because he expressed his distaste for the perfume made there, and if Team Rocket of all people hadn’t come up with the idea of disguising him as a girl, he probably would’ve had to give up on his journey. What makes the episode so hated is that Erika is nothing like this in the games.

But anyway, everybody else beat that dead Mudsdale enough in the thread about SM104, so I apologize for digging it up and beating it a little bit more saying the exact same thing that everyone else has.

As for this episode itself, I liked the Lycanroc battle as well as the scenes involving Lillie and Gladion. However, I really need the English subs before I can really comment much further.

Last edited:
Why does it look like shit?

It's because there are no "3D Cameras" and no camera movement "spinning around the battlefield"... nah just kidding. It seems like the person who was animating this episode worked on M21, it was his first time Animating something main-series related. I personally thought the animation was fine. There were some great shots of Lycanroc using Accelrock and the battle itself was fluid as usual. But my Main Animation Highlight would come from when Gladion was training with his Pokemon, the focus on the Moves were on spot that it reminded me of the Generations Animation.
As for the episode, I have a lot to get off my chest, both Good and not necessarily bad things, but concerns for the future episodes. The Episode was started in a Great Way by showing what each companions was doing. I personally liked them Showing Lillie Photographing Pokemon showing how far she has come since the beginning in which she couldn't touch Pokemon. Her meeting with Gladion was cute as well. In case you guys didn't know, Gladion revealed to Lillie that their Father Disappeared to an Ultra Wormhole. Moving on, Ash's meeting with Gladion itself felt quite forced but I like his interactions with Hapu, developing Hapu at the same time as well. As for the battle it at sometimes felt Tomioka was trying to drag the battle and episode to meet the required time ( The Episode was also kinda slow paced at the start most likely because of this ). I personally liked it but it reminded me of those One Piece Fights. Which is why I prefer it to be 3 on 3 but whatever. The Battle from a writing standpoint was "okay" It seems like Gladion is more open-hearted towards Ash now which once again some Character Development. This battle unlike any of the Ash VS Paul, Ash VS Trip or heck even the Ash VS Alain or Sawyer battles before the league seemed to have low-stakes which is why I think Ash brushed off the lose. Since there's nothing really to lose unlike in the battle against Paul he had to be serious for Chimchar's sake or against Trip he wanted to prove him wrong and against Alain he wanted to master the Ash-Greninja Form. Nothing like that here just a normal Battle which is why I'm not sad at all with Ash Brushing the lose off.

I'd give this episode a 7 or 8 out of 10. A lot of things happened in this episode except for the battle such as:

- Lillie Getting Some Character Development
- Ash and Hapu Interactions
- Hapu Developing through her interactions with Ash
- Gladion Revealing Mohn once disappeared through an Ultra Wormhole
- Ash VS Gladion Battle

Now for the concerns, Why didn't Ash's Lycanroc use Rock Throw in this Battle ? Did it forget it ? That's weird since moves in which Ash takes a long time to teach is always there, I also liked the Rock Throw Animation. I do hope Ash and Gladion Battle again before the League and that time I want it to be 3 on 3, it is very still possible since Ash and Alain battled each other at XY106 and XY119 in a 13 Episode-Gap. I hope Mohn also has something to do in the future episodes... But anyway I'm giving this episode a 8/10...

The battle was pretty good. The two Lycanroc were pretty much evenly matched, and Ash had the right idea to take advantage of Outrage's confusion drawback.

My only real problem is Gladion's Lycanroc pulling an Alain's Charizard and still being standing after that. But I guess they want to save Lycanroc's triumph over its rival for the league.

The battle was pretty good. The two Lycanroc were pretty much evenly matched, and Ash had the right idea to take advantage of Outrage's confusion drawback.

My only real problem is Gladion's Lycanroc pulling an Alain's Charizard and still being standing after that. But I guess they want to save Lycanroc's triumph over its rival for the league.
Possibly though I really wish that the writers would mix things up a bit with the main rival once in a while and not just have it one-sided with Ash winning in the league. Hell, there’d be much more suspense with the rivalries if they had scenarios where Ash won, the rival won, maybe a draw somewhere along the line and that the league was the deciding battle.

Ballsy of Gladion to hope that he could use Ash's Z-Move and Counter to snap Midroc out of confusion

Radial Edgestorm and Ultimate Dragon Burn looked absolutely pathetic though

You'd think twenty-five episodes after SM078 they'd have time to fix it, but naaaah, why do that when you can animate pokémon doing cute things while their trainers turn into idiots?

Yeah, I don't like this version of Hapu, either. They go waaay to far in making her a jerk. I mean, ok you want to make her grow from being insufferable to a more social person, I get that. But the fact that you make it so obvious is basically what's dragging her down. Also, once again, the animation style and mvoement does the battle no favors, especially the Z-moves.

This is not her quick tempered personality that makes me cringe my teeth. Not only she never listens to what anyone has to say, she just draws a conclusion on her own with no actual basis and goes after it so blindly that even her reactions to any situation toward others are excessive. Firing a Flash Cannon on Ash only because she thought he was Poni Radish thiever, when Ash tries to explain himself, responding with "I dOnT cArE aBoUt YoUr eXcUsEs" are soooo over the top behaviour. And you know what, Hapu, you must care about his excuses because you accuse someone with something disgraceful while it is a lie. This is just unacceptable attitude.
Yeah, I don't like this version of Hapu, either. They go waaay to far in making her a jerk. I mean, ok you want to make her grow from being insufferable to a more social person, I get that. But the fact that you make it so obvious is basically what's dragging her down. Also, once again, the animation style and mvoement does the battle no favors, especially the Z-moves.
You're judging Hapu too quickly. I'm pretty sure her current attitude is what's preventing her from becoming a Kahuna.

She's a bit judgemental, so what? She's a talented but lonely kid brought up in an insular, strongly traditional culture. She needs her worldview widening which is why she has met Satoshi! Hapu'u in the games was boring af to the point that I couldn't help rolling my eyes every time I had to sit through any one of her dull cutscenes.

As for the episode, I thought it was a great one. The scene with Hapu'u begging for her grandfather's input at the shrine and the Gladio/Lillie scene were powerful without being overdone. My favourite moment had to be Hapu'u's confusion over Gladio's choice of dress though - HAH!! Laughed out loud in the train at that :ROFLMAO:

You're judging Hapu too quickly. I'm pretty sure her current attitude is what's preventing her from becoming a Kahuna.

That's what I'm hoping too, that the reason Tapu Fini isn't listening to her prayers is because she needs to learn a lesson in humility before it will consider allowing her to take over the job of Kahuna from her grandfather.

Still though, what makes it all the more jarring for me is that she's nothing like this in the games, and so it still feels contrived to me, almost as if the writers just said, "Oh yeah, we better make at least one Adaptational Jerkass before this series is over..."

Still though, what makes it all the more jarring for me is that she's nothing like this in the games, and so it still feels contrived to me, almost as if the writers just said, "Oh yeah, we better make at least one Adaptational Jerkass before this series is over..."
This isn't the first time a game character's personality was changed for the anime.

If you look at this episode as a build up episode, it is really good.

Besides Lillie and Gladion being cute, I like this episode building up to the next Aether Family related plot. Mohn! Everything as to why Gladion is on the island... how this can bring some focused character development that Lillie really needed since the Aether Arc, among other things interested me.

Even if Lillie's attempt at battling her brother was interrupted by Ash falling out of the sky. (And Gladion addressing the random was hilarious!) I liked the thought and I liked how they explained why the Lycanroc battle WAS what we came for. (Again, the build up and information before that fight was interesting to me.)

Interactions between Ash and a more serious Hapu were spot on and I wish to see where this dynamic is going to develop. Not to mention, Ash now knows what TR feel like on a regular basis!

His desire to fight Tapu Fini and Hapu's desire to talk to her grand father are going to clash again and again!

The fight between Ash and Gladion... for what it is in this series, is pretty fun to watch, intense and it went all the way instead of being cut out like a certain other fight two episodes ago. (Brock vs Olivia!) Not to mention, I like this rivalry despite how rare Gladion shows up.
The Z moves however are my only complaint, Stormshard is the same animation while Devastating Drake looked a tad slower than I wanted. Both were underwhelming finishers.

Ash may have lost, but I had fun watching most of the fight. (Not to mention how awkwardly Gladion ditched the group at the end of the poke problem! That left me smiling!)

7.9/10. It's building up to something!

Ballsy of Gladion to hope that he could use Ash's Z-Move and Counter to snap Midroc out of confusion

Radial Edgestorm and Ultimate Dragon Burn looked absolutely pathetic though

You'd think twenty-five episodes after SM078 they'd have time to fix it, but naaaah, why do that when you can animate pokémon doing cute things while their trainers turn into idiots?

Animation director for this ep is his first one too though he's mostly worked on some films for the anime.

I don't see the problem with Ash having a rocky relationship with someone else, we haven't seen that type of relationships this series. Not everyone has to be nice with him.

Anyway, the battle wasn't the most memorable but it was fine. And seeing a tactic like "Use the damage of the Z-move to heal confusion" used against Ash who has pulled every possible kind of "Evade the Z-move/Use the Z-move in your favor" sh*t this series is karmic.

The Lillie & Gladion scene was way too short but it was nice buildup to something interesting.

There are reasonable and unirritating ways to give characters characteristics. That way is just not one of them. The question is not Hapu having her own characteristics, it is how she reflects them.
I'm sorry, but real people can also reflect their characteristics in SUPER irritating ways. You might find her annoying, I find her interesting to watch. Just like how any real person is perceived differently by other real people in real life!!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom