• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM108: Inside Kapu-Rehire's Mist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it makes sense, but it isn't the best writing.

I mean, a character's father being absent or unmentioned is kind of taken as normal, but the absence of a mother is usually a sign that something's up. Ash and Lillie's mothers are around, and Kiawe, Sophocles, and Lana have both of their parents around, but Mallow is the only one who just has a father.

I've actually headcanoned for a while now that Mallow's mom was dead. I just never actually thought they'd confirm it (I also assumed Clemont and Bonnie's mom is gone too, but that was never addressed...nor were anyone else's missing parents. Which is why this development surprises me a bit.)

I also wouldn't really call this bad writing. The death of a parent is pretty traumatic...it actually makes a lot of sense if Mallow perhaps never wanted to bring it up. People grieve and handle tragedy in different ways. I actually think this coming out towards the end of the series makes it a bit more of a gut punch. Just seeing those scenes in the preview was pretty heart wrenching, tbh.

I do agree they've mishandled Mallow in other respects, and that more often than not, the writers leave a lot to be desired. But this plot development isn't one I'm going to hold against them.

I've actually headcanoned for a while now that Mallow's mom was dead. I just never actually thought they'd confirm it (I also assumed Clemont and Bonnie's mom is gone too, but that was never addressed...nor were anyone else's missing parents. Which is why this development surprises me a bit.)

I also wouldn't really call this bad writing. The death of a parent is pretty traumatic...it actually makes a lot of sense if Mallow perhaps never wanted to bring it up. People grieve and handle tragedy in different ways. I actually think this coming out towards the end of the series makes it a bit more of a gut punch. Just seeing those scenes in the preview was pretty heart wrenching, tbh.

I do agree they've mishandled Mallow in other respects, and that more often than not, the writers leave a lot to be desired. But this plot development isn't one I'm going to hold against them.

Considering Mallow has issues with her father, her brother is gone most of the time and how we never see her mother or even hear of her. Something must of happened and it at least clicks those plot beats together.

This is also the same episode with Stoutland... so this episode really is intended to be a tear jearker.

I have a couple of things to say about this episode, and how they relate to the series as a whole:

1) The writing in this series by itself isn’t bad for the most part, but the pacing is, which drags down the stories of the episodes, such as the Necrozma arc.

2) This episode could explain some of the quirks Mallow has had in the past, like why she was so concerned about Lillie and her fear of Pokémon, or why she was so eager to have Lana be less shy in the Drampa episode, or why her goal is to make people smile through her food; She knows firsthand how depressed and upset a person can get, and she wants to make sure that no one will ever feel the kind of sadness that she went through as a kid, as no one deserves that.

Basically, if the writers pull this episode off right, this episode will be one of the best of the series, and maybe just one of the best episodes of Pokémon period.

I have a couple of things to say about this episode, and how they relate to the series as a whole:

1) The writing in this series by itself isn’t bad for the most part, but the pacing is, which drags down the stories of the episodes, such as the Necrozma arc.

2) This episode could explain some of the quirks Mallow has had in the past, like why she was so concerned about Lillie and her fear of Pokémon, or why she was so eager to have Lana be less shy in the Drampa episode, or why her goal is to make people smile through her food; She knows firsthand how depressed and upset a person can get, and she wants to make sure that no one will ever feel the kind of sadness that she went through as a kid, as no one deserves that.

Basically, if the writers pull this episode off right, this episode will be one of the best of the series, and maybe just one of the best episodes of Pokémon period.

Given that Sun and Moon handled the Litten stuff pretty well, they have a better chance than usual.

Also I am calling it now, either this will be not just a trial for Hapu as Kahuna, but for Ash to qualify for a Grand Trial battle, if not stating he already qualified in last episodes 'don't run off and let Kiawe die in your place' moment.

Oh God I'm already a wreck.

But also, wouldn't it have been boss if Satoshi's missing person was Hunter J? le sigh Now that's one deceased character I'd love to see again...

A person who completely and utterly despises him?

I mean, it would be awesome if she came back from the dead and they fought, but this ain't that kind of episode. Besides, she was never a "battler" sort anyway; all she really cared about was making money.

An episode about seeing deceased loved ones? In the year of a supposed M01 remake? And Musashi isn't in the episode?

Come on guys...

I really feel sad for Mallow and hopeto see her very beautiful cheering smile and her ligthy face with her friends Lana and Lillie. Hope to see Hapu also being Trial person finally. I really love tp see this episode because from the two previews of this episode then it will be very interesting episode. Also want to see the challenge between Hapu with goldrock against Kapu Rehire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom