• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM108: Inside Kapu-Rehire's Mist

One of the most saddest episode in the series by far with tears and even voice actress crying in real life during their booth recording. Nonetheless, it's is a heart warming.

Overall rating, I give it A.

Loved that Mallow got some focus, we even discover exactly how she got Bounsweet which was good but wish she'd got more focus, she actually has Shaymin, interesting
@BigDocFan
Yeah, next week and the week after after. Mythical Pokémon bombardment everywhere. Something is about to happen.

I have been watching this show for over 20 years. That's two decades, one fifth of a century, and not once have I ever shed a single tear to it. Until today. They did it; those crazy sons of Stoutlands, they did it. Well played, Pocket Monsters, well played. I can definitely see how this would have made the staff get emotional, with Reina Ueda sounding like she's genuinely crying while recording her lines. If they do seiyuu performance awards then she needs one.

Where do I even start? Every single frame of Mallow on screen in this episode was gold. The rest of it was fine enough, but Mallow's scenes just did me in. The way she just broke down when she saw her mother was one of the most powerful things I've seen from this franchise, right up there with Snubbull's ghost from the movie. I know the whole, "I hate you," being the last thing a character says to a loved one before they die is a massive cliché, but I couldn't help but feel for Mallow. She was a little kid, she probably didn't even know about the concept of death at the time, she probably thought her mother was just being selfish. I can't even begin to imagine how much it must have hurt her to realise what she had done and that it was too late to fix things or even say sorry.

If I had any complaints it's that this was never brought up before. From an in-universe perspective it makes sense because Lana most likely is fully aware of how painful the subject is to Mallow and would know to avoid it at all costs, but from a narrative perspective I do think it should have been addressed sooner, even if it was just Mallow glancing at the twins with their mother and looking sad I think it would have helped create a better payoff. That and the whole just randomly getting Shaymin from nowhere seemed really tacked on, "oh and by the way, we know this script is finished and due to air in like a week but we want you to give Mallow a Shaymin," levels of tacked on.

I'm going to give this episode a 9.5/10, a bit of foreshadowing on Mallow's past beforehand would have got you a 10.

How interesting Mallow getting a Shaymin. Also, Torracat learned Flame Charge.
And as for this sadder episode, Mallow cried upon her mom aswell as the voice actress crying real life.
Onions, anyone?

Like Mallow, I had a few bad words with people just before they died, and never got a chance to apologize for it. This episode would be a good episode to teach preschoolers that you should be careful with what you say, especially towards those who are dying, as chances are, that'll be the last time you'll see them before they pass away.

That and the whole just randomly getting Shaymin from nowhere seemed really tacked on, "oh and by the way, we know this script is finished and due to air in like a week but we want you to give Mallow a Shaymin," levels of tacked on.
How interesting Mallow getting a Shaymin.

I don't see Mallow actually catching Shaymin. It would be at best a recurring Pokémon who happens to like Mallow, only sticking around if this season is ending because she's about to be retired and forgotten. Alternately, if Shaymin sticks around, it may have some ties to the upcoming episode(s) with Meltan.

Sounds fun, curious to see how the dub will handle this episode

Never Say Die would be in place at best, or the episode would be skipped in English because an episode involving the afterlife wouldn't bold well with 3-7 year olds.

How interesting Mallow getting a Shaymin. Also, Torracat learned Flame Charge.
And as for this sadder episode, Mallow cried upon her mom aswell as the voice actress crying real life.
Onions, anyone?

Torracat already knew that move. I assume you mean Fire Blast?

Just going to say this straight up, this was easily one of the saddest episodes of the Pokemon series period, as well as one of the best animated. Every scene that Mallow was in felt emotional, and speaking from experience, I know the pain of losing someone at a young age and not understanding. That was done accurately and respectfully.

Also interesting to see how she got Bounsweet and that it was a gift from her mother, something that made me shed a few tears because I knew the direction they were going with this, yet my heart didn't want to accept it.

And then comes the big reveal, in which Mallow sees her mother, or more accurately, her spirit. And it isn't a scene of disappointment, rather a scene of understanding, in which Mallow's mom thanks her for the good times they had, and Mallow shows her own gratitude for what her mom did for her, while she was alive and after death.

Some may be asking, why I'm not talking about the rest of the group, and it's not because I think any screen time they had was terrible, it just Mallow's was more interesting. Though I will say the reveal that Gladion and Lillie's father is alive was nice, as well as the return of Stoutland teaching Torracat Fire Blast, were nice touches that I wasn't expecting.

Overall, I look forward to rewatching this with subs, and seeing how the Dub handles this when the time comes.

Hoo boy. One has to wonder how TPCI will handle this...:confused_emoji:

It's a good thing the 4Kids people aren't here to see this. They'd lose it at seeing this episode!

Wonder if she'll go one step further and catch it in a Poke Ball

Knowing her (and this saga) it'll just be there doing NOTHING but be cute X_X
Maybe a deus-ex-machina appearance by Sky Form if we're REALLY lucky, but even then chances of that are tragically low... :(

Hoo boy. One has to wonder how TPCI will handle this...:confused_emoji:

A major theme of the Harry Potter series was death. Sesame Street brought death up several times. Many Disney movies and animated shows had good-aligned characters die, including ones that are preschooler-oriented.

The deaths of Latios in M05, Lucario in M08, Luxray in M20, and Snubbull in M21 were not altered to fake deaths in the English dub, and it is directly stated that Arceus was dying in M12.

If TPCI changes it so that Stoutland and Mallow's mother are "merely trapped in another dimension awaiting rescue", or some other nonsense, or just bans the episode if it means keeping preschoolers from being traumatized despite the other shows, films, and games they watch/play being open on the topic, I would not know what to say.

Knowing her (and this saga) it'll just be there doing NOTHING but be cute X_X
Maybe a deus-ex-machina appearance by Sky Form if we're REALLY lucky, but even then chances of that are tragically low... :(

They only brought Charizard back in Best Wishes in a failed attempt to boost ratings, and Charizard did pretty much nothing. They also swiftly disposed of potential powerhouses like Goodra and Poipole after their arcs were done, and applied Can't Catch Up to the former for the Kalos League. Chances are, Shaymin will leave in the next episode after Mallow helps it activate Sky Forme. If it does join, Mallow will release Shaymin within 15 episodes after a major conflict (with either Team Rocket, Team Skull, or even Viren).

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom