• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM111: Arrival in Alola! Dripping Metal Panic!!

A very cute and panic episode. But as always, those mythical pokémon needed to stop in the next episode. Otherwise, all the metal in Alola will be gone being consumed by them.

For this episode, I give it an A-.

Why does Kojiro travel in city with TR uniform?
You would think they'd buy extra ice cream after that episode...
There is surprisingly few TR scenes in this episode.
So, that wasn't its actual head after all...
I still don't think that Satoshi will catch it.

5/10.

Last edited:
I don't like Team Rocket much as members are no doubt aware of but I enjoyed seeing James go berserk over the Meltan destroying his bottlecap collection, I wonder what became of his Poke Ball collection

Was nice to see Muk appear briefly, nice to see a different side to Rowlet where it helped protect the Meltan, I suspect this will be the one Ash might capture

It was nice to see that James' love of bottlecaps have not been forgotten. And placing Muk in the background is another great nod to the earlier seasons.

One of the Meltan befriending Rowlet can be seen as a nod to the September 2018 Community Day in Pokémon GO, in which Ditto disguised as Meltan spawned for 30 minutes after three hours of increased Chikorita spawns.

This filler episode was cute and panic.

A group of Meltan were scared because it's a newly discovered Pokémon. Professor Oak is trying to discover the newly Pokémon.

I give this episode an B. 7.9/10

As a reason for capture Eevee and getting chummy with Popplio was nice to see, a good focus episode for Eevee and Popplio all in one. Looks like they could be doing the same with Meltan and Rowlett.

If Ash does catch Meltan, it'll be his first Pokémon to know an electric type move other than Pikachu- with it knowing Thundershock or ThuderBolt (I'm going to assume ThunderShock because they wouldn't have it know the exact move Pikachu does)

This episode was really good, Meltan as a species was shown of fantastically. Oh how amazingly expressive Meltan is! Super cute!

Seeing Muk made me happy too, I love that kind of continuity- the last time Muk was shown hanging out with Oak was episode 123 of Best Wishes.

Boy those Meltans are trouble makers, pretty cute just how much they caused. I had a head canon that Meltan would act in a collective hive mind mindset and I wasn't disappointed.

Eevee was cute and nearly got blasted to kingdom come because of it.

Being the Rocket Trio is suffering, those Meltan have every right to fear that Clefable, I just need an English sub for the details.

6/10 for now, besides Meltan being cute, dragging the Rocket Trio into the plot and some continuity, nothing specific happened outside of Meltan.

Edit: I did a fanfic chapter with the same premise as this episode.

Meltan gets discovered and one of the main protagonists that found it called Professor Oak about it. Only difference is in the fanfic, one was found, it was only one person that found that Meltan and the discovery took place on Sinnoh.

That out of the way, the Meltans are the primary focus of the episode, they are cute as buttons for what is metallic locusts and it was fun to see our characters treat it as a discovery. Especially with how Lillie was writing down notes about the pokemon.

I also like how Rowlet is having some focus with that one Meltan that got curious.

6.5/10 now. It is introducing a new species of pokemon and I want to see what happens.

Last edited:
I didn't like Meltan when he was revealed. Then the promotional material and the games made me like the guy. Now this episode made me hate the species. Instead of making them curios little creatures that are intrigued by a strange world that has drastically changed since the last time they walked on it and cause problems more so on accident then on purpose (and show that they didn't mean to cause these problems and that they actually feel sorry for that), they decided to turn them into a cross between cockroaches (since there's so many of them and they all act like nuisances) , Nihilego (since both care only about feeding, with a complete disregard for anything and anyone else) and Ditto (due to similar body design).

Also, is it that hard to have an episode that doesn't go overboard with its """""""funny""""""" faces? Is that too much to ask for? Are they forced to do them? Would the world implode if they didn't add them? Was the Poni arc considered atrocious because, for the most part, it didn't have that many? I just don't get it...

On a more positive note, I do like the one Meltan that seems to have bonded with Rowlet. On the one hand, its kinship with Rowlet could actually lead to some actual character development for the poor bird and, on the other hand, it acting different from the rest of his "buddies" means that there's potential for it to redeem his kind (by giving Meltan the portrayal it deserves). I also like that most of Ash's Pokémon from this series (including this Meltan, since there's no way he won't catch it) seem to have formed some kind of relation between each other. Talonflame and Hawlucha's parental bond with Noivern, as well as Charizard's kinship with Pignite (despite being somewhat sudden and rarely shown), we're among my favorite moments in the past series and I'm glad we get to see more of that in Sun & Moon.

I also liked Muk's cameo at the end. But why couldn't they have Tracy and/or Oak's Rotom also make a brief appearance? Why did the writer of this series leave these two in limbo? Did they forget Tracy and Oak's Rotom exist or something?

James made a Bakugo face during the Meltan confrontation, that alone made the episode for me! Been hoping for so long that the show would make a My Hero Academia reference!

Aside from that, I loved the kinship and bonding between Rowlet and the one Meltan, and how Rowlet showed its' more competent and selfless side. Though, the constant annoyance and damage the other Meltan caused wasn't particularly pleasant, and the Meowth/Jessie ice cream conflict brought back bad memories of SM062. At least they resolved it somewhat peacefully this time.

Overall, still a pretty good filler, and it is good setup for the coming episodes, so I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Now this is the kind of comedy I want to see more in the show (especially when Team Rocket is involved), they could've made this episode boring but it's not even close to that. They also could've not put Muk but there he is. And I love how expressive they managed to make Meltan considering its simple design and lack of face; this even extended to that random Magneton that showed up. Good writing and storyboarding this time around.

Horiuchi makes for a good narrator but he doesn't sound nor tries to sound like Unsho Ishizuka as Professor Oak at all. It was already off putting to hear him as the principal but somehow this feels the same all over again. I don't know how these character re-casts for deceased actors work in Japan, but I believe he wasn't even cast as a "soundalike" in the first place.

The best part of the episode was how the pudding was distributed between the TRio - Hidoide and Mimikyu split the actual dessert bit and the remaining, MAIN, members received a piece of fruit each!! The favouritism demonstrated is just <3

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom