• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM112: Discovering a New Species! Get, Meltan!!

Poipole had a better personality than a cockroach, and it was stalking Pikachu for a few episodes beforehand already.

Meltan was comparatively quicker.
How the hell would you describe Meltans personality? I feel meh about Meltan tbh. Makes you wonder when Satoshi will finaly showcase the Steel Z-move.

I really like the whole, you’re friends with my Pokemon so I’ll catch you thing- worked with Eevee and Popplio and it works here.

Honestly, I can’t remember Ash catching something and every one here as miserable and salty as this. Putting a Meltan on the main cast will stop it from being a forgettable mythical that had no role in its game.

Also, Ash’s first Pokémon besides Pikachu with an electric move... He can use Steel Z with Meltan (I still except Pikachu to use it at least once)

In two appeances we’ve already got a fair bit of personality and character from this new capture.

Ash’s first Steel type too.

I thought I was the most Let’s GO hating person out there but you all seem straight up offended at this capture...

How the hell would you describe Meltans personality? I feel meh about Meltan tbh. Makes you wonder when Satoshi will finaly showcase the Steel Z-move.

Based on what I’ve seen of Meltan in footage (not sure if I’ll give the episode a go yet, but will probably do since we’ve to tolerate Meltan for a few episodes at least and the entire series at worst), I’ll describe the entire Meltan species (since they seem like a hive mind) as having the personality of a cockroach.

I thought I was the most Let’s GO hating person out there but you all seem straight up offended at this capture...

I’d have preferred it if they gave it a different personality.

Also having Meltan after Nebby, Poipole and Shaymin seems just plain repetitive.

I still don't count it as a real capture.

Fair enough, I guess.
Poipole had a better personality than a cockroach, and it was stalking Pikachu for a few episodes beforehand already.

Meltan was comparatively quicker.

First of all, it wasn't a few episodes (like Bulbapedia would make you to believe). It appeared ONCE (in the Buzzwole episode) before his capture. His capture episode and the Buzzwole episode are also the only episodes out of 5 in which it appeared. The beginning of episode 67 even show that is stopped following Pikachu after their first encounter. And, second of all, Ash still didn't interact with Poipole whatsoever before he captured it.

Don't get me wrong, the group of Meltan is indeed a horrendous portrayal of the species. But the Meltan that Ash caught is shown to be different than the others: it's more curious and less selfish than the other Meltan. It is shown to be interested in stuff other than eatable metal. And this episode shows that he can get angry when others hurt his friends he's willing to protect someone whom it cares for. He's not the cockroach that the other Meltan make it out to be.

First of all, it wasn't a few episodes (like Bulbapedia would make you to believe). It appeared ONCE (in the Buzzwole episode) before his capture. His capture episode and the Buzzwole episode are also the only episodes out of 5 in which it appeared. The beginning of episode 67 even show that is stopped following Pikachu after their first encounter. And, second of all, Ash still didn't interact with Poipole whatsoever before he captured it.

I guess I personally gave Poipole a pass since I actually liked its anime portrayal and curiosity (which did not involve doing harm, and in the case it did actual harm, it apologised).

And Poipole was basically a mandated capture due to the Ultra Guardian mission. Ash would’ve captured it even if no one interacted with it.

I guess I’ll give this episode a chance and see if this Meltan is enough to make my view less critical.

Oh why I feel so meh? Because all the hype about Ash catching one. Btw what happend to the rest of the Meltan?
Probably forgotten about lol
How were they forgotten about when they all appeared in this episode? They won't forgot about something one episode right after it.

I loved this episode, a surprise to see Satoshi get a Mythical Pokémon, at he finally has a Steel-type. Meltan and Mokuroh bond is cute.
Clefable trained them, so I think they'll continue to live at the school for now.
I still don't count it as a real capture.
You don't count putting a Pokémon inside a Poké Ball as a capture? By that logic, none of Ash's Pokémon are "really captured".

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom