• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM112: Discovering a New Species! Get, Meltan!!

Wow, so much salt for such an insignificant Pokémon. The Meltan species isn't even worth getting angry over if you ask me, they're just such bland creatures with little to them when you don't consider the evolution. Surely there's better things to hate on?

I wonder if it will be Oak'd or released: 1. Is it good to have a Mythical rot in a lab? 2. Fans will wonder why Ash won't use it at the Galar League

Meltan would be released after Ash loses the Alola League (or even beforehand), because Greninja was released at the end of XY. And no, the anime goes through a semi-reboot for each region, which pretty much means SM will be forgotten quickly, and Ash will only take Pikachu with him to Galar anyway unless a late-region catch has a new evolution in SWSH.

It was cute and all but Stufful and Bewear with their mouths open is going to my cursed screencaps compilation

Attachments

• c11.png
    c11.png
    571.3 KB · Views: 132
I'd be happy for Ash catching Meltan, if I wasn't thinking that Meltan will be basically Poipole 2.0. If he doesn't start training it or actually using it in battle, then catching it is practically pointless.
To be fair, Meltan at least knows attacks it can use in combat right off the bat.

After all these years and we still can't animate a decent Triple Battle.
It's not like triple battles were decent in the games, tho.

Watched the thing with subtitles and I will say that I am impressed.

Getting this out of the way, this episode has similar vibes to the Poipole and Eevee capture episodes in that the new pokemon bonds with the trainers pokemon. While knowing the students are battling each other was cute, we only saw Ash and Kiawe fight and felt like a bit of padding.

However, Meltan was adorable and Rowlet had his moment of being awesome when he took those fury swipes for Meltan. Rowlet was actually funny as well with how he tried to help Meltan.

Team Rocket... were actually kind of threatening in this episode. James acting like Mimikyu and having a sudden demonic voice actually creeped me out. Not to mention, Meowth dodging the razor leaf... that prompted Meltan to get mad and let loose the beam.

Bewear and Stufful were cute in this episode, especially with mama Bewear teaching her cub how to drive.

Then we had Ash catching Meltan, that ball getting stuck on Meltan's eye was bleeping hilarious....

We also have this to consider... though predictable with the set up.

Ash has caught his first steel type and has caught his first mythical pokemon, that deserves a round of applause.

It's not even "his" pokemon

It technically belongs to Rowlet, who's the one who wanted Ash to catch it so it could stick around
  1. it was captured with Ash’s pokeball, therefore making it Ash’s Pokemon.
  2. while rowlet did want meltan to stick around, it was ultimately meltan’s decision to be captured and travel with ash.
  3. we’ve only seen meltan under Ash’s ownership for about 1 minute. We have to wait and see what role it plays before we can say that it’s only being used to play with rowlet. For all we know, meltan can become a strong battler who forms a great bond with Ash.
  4. Lana’s eevee and Ash’s poipole were both caught because they had formed a good relationship with one of the trainer’s Pokémon, but Eevee doesn’t belong to Brionne and Poipole doesn’t belong to Pikachu, so I don’t see why this situation would be different.

1. it was captured with Ash’s pokeball, therefore making it Ash’s Pokemon.
  2. while rowlet did want meltan to stick around, it was ultimately meltan’s decision to be captured and travel with ash.
  3. we’ve only seen meltan under Ash’s ownership for about 1 minute. We have to wait and see what role it plays before we can say that it’s only being used to play with rowlet. For all we know, meltan can become a strong battler who forms a great bond with Ash.
  4. Lana’s eevee and Ash’s poipole were both caught because they had formed a good relationship with one of the trainer’s Pokémon, but Eevee doesn’t belong to Brionne and Poipole doesn’t belong to Pikachu, so I don’t see why this situation would be different.
Ash wasn't catching it for himself or because he wanted to. He caught it because it had formed a bond with one of his pokemon

That's the distinction I'm making here

Now that Ash has captured a steel-type (one that I hope he actually keeps, instead of giving it the same type of treatment as Nebby and Poipole, with the reasoning behind this time being that it’s a Mythical Pokémon), how many other Pokémon types has he yet to capture as of this point?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom