• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM114: Beauty and Nyarth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how the summary says Z-crystals and not Z-rings, could we be getting Lillie focus? Any characters besides the main cast with Z-crystals? Hala?

Ah fantastic! Nyasu episodes are excellent without fail, he simply doesn't get enough focus otherwise.

Also, since when is Nyasu falling in love an over-used trope? It happens, what, twice a series on average if that? He ain't Takeshi. He's a passionate kitty who always falls for the wrong gal, something most of us can sympathise with!

I'm more interested that she's after people with Z-Crystals. That'll certainly put her at odds with the cast!

I wonder how are the other Pokemon not being particularly affected by pheromones...

I don't know why, but the summary makes me feel like they're gonna scrap the pheromones thing from Pheromosa altogether.

Personally, I'm more concern with whether they're gonna do what they've done with all of the other dangerous UBs up to this point (with the exception of Nihilego and Guzzlord) or not. I really hope they don't.

Notice how the summary says Z-crystals and not Z-rings, could we be getting Lillie focus? Any characters besides the main cast with Z-crystals? Hala?
Well, Lillie does have a Z-crystal, but she doesn't have a Z-ring yet. So how can she use a Z-crystal without any Z-ring?

I don't know why, but the summary makes me feel like they're gonna scrap the pheromones thing from Pheromosa altogether.

Personally, I'm more concern with whether they're gonna do what they've done with all of the other dangerous UBs up to this point (with the exception of Nihilego and Guzzlord) or not. I really hope they don't.

Be accurate to how they're depicted in the source material? Because that's what they've done with every UB.

Well, Lillie does have a Z-crystal, but she doesn't have a Z-ring yet. So how can she use a Z-crystal without any Z-ring?

She can't, but it says Pheromosa is targetting Z-Crystals, not Z-Rings. So Lillie would still be a target.

Be accurate to how they're depicted in the source material? Because that's what they've done with every UB.

No, what they've basically done with them is turn them into a bunch of misunderstood, undangerous creatures. Outside of Nihilego and Guzzlord, none of the other UB felt threatening or perilous or beast-like. I wouldn't mind if they did it for some of them (ex. Blacephalon, who was actually given the best personality out of them all), but they've done this shtick for almost all of them! And that's best showcased in the way they're defeated (Buzzwole gets captured after a flexing contest, Xurkitree and Blacephalon are distracted by a giant firework, Stakataka just let's itself get captured). Really, the only Ultra Beast that was given a quality encounter was Celesteela. The other encounters with UBs are just played for laughs.

Yes, most of them received a personality, which is a good thing. But that was done at the expense of they're threateningness. Sure, some of them are still shown to be strong, but they no longer feel like menacing being who should be approached with caution and whose power, abilities and behavior are unknown (which is what the games made them look like and what the 2nd anime opening advertised).

All I'm saying is that, for a bunch of mysterious creatures that "possess power that transcends humans' understanding of the world", they sure aren't portrayed as such by the anime.

If princess cockroach attack those Z-Crystal welder. It maybe the reason, those item that reminded her home-world (Ultra Desert), which it don't want to return back there due to it loneliness?

Last edited:
If princess cockroach attack those Z-Crystal welder. It maybe the reason, those item that reminded her home-world (Ultra Desert), which it don't want to return back there due to it loneliness?

I wouldn't mind it if they go that route. It keeps an antagonistic Ultra Beast as the concept and it explains why she is doing it.

All I'm saying is that, for a bunch of mysterious creatures that "possess power that transcends humans' understanding of the world", they sure aren't portrayed as such by the anime.
How exactly is the anime's portrayal such a monumental and unforgiving problem when the description doesn't even translate very well to the games either? In a series where base stats matter so much more than some hype-inducing tagline, any NPC trainer could defeat a Pheromosa if they were packing the mighty Gale Wings Fletchling, and let's not get into how frightening the average Ember attack can be for Kartana.

Out of any Pokémon media, I would say only the Adventures manga has actually portrayed them as possessing this kind of stated power. Absolutely nothing short of certain legendaries like Silvally have contended with the UBs so far.

How exactly is the anime's portrayal such a monumental and unforgiving problem when the description doesn't even translate very well to the games either? In a series where base stats matter so much more than some hype-inducing tagline, any NPC trainer could defeat a Pheromosa if they were packing the mighty Gale Wings Fletchling, and let's not get into how frightening the average Ember attack can be for Kartana.

Out of any Pokémon media, I would say only the Adventures manga has actually portrayed them as possessing this kind of stated power. Absolutely nothing short of certain legendaries like Silvally have contended with the UBs so far.

My point wasn't that UBs should be shown possessing some unimaginable power (though I wouldn't mind if they would at least show the UBs' Beast Boost ability, since they have no problem showing a similar-looking ability whenever a Totem Pokémon appears). No, my point was that, with a description like that, you'd expect the Ultra Beasts to be shown as some kind of menacing threat, something that one needs to be very cautious about. The games actually do a great job presenting them in this way, since all of the UB encounters in USUM shows them in a towering manner. When you first encounter them in the ultra versions, the Ultra Beasts are imposing. They're mysterious. They're powerful. They're dangerous. And, most importantly, they a threat that shouldn't be taken lightly.

In contrast, the anime chose to portray them as some kind of goofy monsters of the week. Outside of Nihilego, Guzzlord and maybe, MAYBE Buzzwole, they're shown to be nothing more then an inconvenience that gets defeated in a very comical manner. They're no longer intimidating, mysterious and powerful extra-dimensional beings that one should fear. No, instead, they're nothing more than far-away Pokémon causing accidental mischief.

My point wasn't that UBs should be shown possessing some unimaginable power (though I wouldn't mind if they would at least show the UBs' Beast Boost ability, since they have no problem showing a similar-looking ability whenever a Totem Pokémon appears). No, my point was that, with a description like that, you'd expect the Ultra Beasts to be shown as some kind of menacing threat, something that one needs to be very cautious about. The games actually do a great job presenting them in this way, since all of the UB encounters in USUM shows them in a towering manner. When you first encounter them in the ultra versions, the Ultra Beasts are imposing. They're mysterious. They're powerful. They're dangerous. And, most importantly, they a threat that shouldn't be taken lightly.

In contrast, the anime chose to portray them as some kind of goofy monsters of the week. Outside of Nihilego, Guzzlord and maybe, MAYBE Buzzwole, they're shown to be nothing more then an inconvenience that gets defeated in a very comical manner. They're no longer intimidating, mysterious and powerful extra-dimensional beings that one should fear. No, instead, they're nothing more than far-away Pokémon causing accidental mischief.
In Sun and Moon, they're portrayed as invasive species that are threatening their surroundings, and thus, very threatening. In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, where most of them are fought in Ultra Space, you fight them in their home worlds, so they are only threatening in the sense that they're powerful and unknown, not because they're in an unfamiliar environment that causes them to act violently.

Ultra Beasts aren't meant to be threatening by nature, but by the fact that they're acting like you would expect from someone thrown somewhere unfamiliar, filled with creatures they don't know and act defensively. Actually, that's how it's also flipped in the Ultra games: the threatening aura of the Ultra Beasts comes from you facing then in an unfamiliar environment, as creatures you've never seen before.

And the only Gen 7 Pokémon (besides Melmetal, we don't know for sure what generation it belongs to yet) period, actually.

Good to see Pheromosa in the anime.

I know Alonan Grimer, Araquanid and Decidueye have technically appeared but surely we expect a ‘proper’ debute for them, Ash never even met the first two and hardly acknowledged Decidueye. Also, we know it’s coming but Golispod isn’t confirmed for SM115 nor is Magearna confirmed for SM116, semantics I know.

There’s also Klang which has never appeared outside a movie or side episode, don’t see many people calling for a Klang debute...

Tale as old as crime
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly

Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Nyasu and the Beast
Seriously though, what's with SM Nyasu's attraction to non-feline pokemon?

Tale as old as crime
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly

Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Nyasu and the Beast
Seriously though, what's with SM Nyasu's attraction to non-feline pokemon?
"The Problem with Paras" says hello as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom