• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM114: Beauty and Nyarth!

Oh shit, Bewear really IS one of Arceus' messengers! :eek:
Are we sure she isn't really a Legendary or Mythical in disguise? :confused_emoji:

(And I guess it's nice to see that they remembered that Lillie's Z-Crystal exists)
Gotta love how even Mimikyu was terrified of Bewear’s wrath.
Am I truly in the minority for disliking Bewear's gag god status?

I watched a gif of Pheromosa kicking Jessie's face way too many times...ah, what the hell, one more won't hurt.

Why did Ash have to be the one to catch Pheromosa? He's already done the Ultra Beast catch twice before (three if you count Poipole). Now at least two of the Ultra Guardians will never get to make a capture, since only one Ultra Beast is left.

You know, the Guzzlord 2-parter gave me hope that maybe we could have better Ultra Guardians episodes. Then this episode came in and crushed my hopes. Why do Guzzlord and Nihilego have to be the exceptions and not the rule?
I'll start with the things I liked:
  • I liked Charizard and Kiawe's tired expressions early on in the episode. My Charizard love aside, their expressions reminded me of the good old facial expressions from the pre-SM series (more specifically, the ones from DP). You know, back when facial expressions weren't obnoxious or hyperbolic or shoved in an episode almost every second.
  • The Ultra Guardians sequences are shortened this time around (tho they could be shorter).
  • The battle between Bewear and Pheromosa was surprisingly well animated and is definitely the highlight of this episode.
And that's about it, unfortunately.
As for things I didn't like:
  • The fact that this episode revolved around Meowth falling in love with Miss "Beauty".
  • Pheromosa missing her iconic pheromones. Considering that this series dealt with a lot of more serious stuff (like death), would it really have been too much to have someone control Pokémon with pheromones?
  • Meowth mimicking Pheromosa in order to impress it, which looks unsettling, disgusting and uncomfortable. Seriously, if that gag ever returns, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
  • The fact that Mimikyu is still a disobedient A-hole who only cares about murdering Pikachu. What was even the point of Jessie bonding with it in episode 38 if he still doesn't listen to her/only listen selectively to what she says?
  • Bewear's battle with Pheromosa. I know I cited it in my positives because of its animation. But that's the issue. Why does that have to be a very well animated and entertaining battle, while most of other ones from SM are lackluster (to say the least)? And also, why Bewear? Haven't they made her uber enough? Couldn't they have some of the main cast's Pokémon take Pheromosa down (like Charizard, who's been in only one relevant battle this series and also has the type advantage, as well as a move that's 4x effective to Miss Beauty)?
  • And (most importantly) Pheromosa. The fact the the main antagonist's motivation is so dull and stereotypical really brings the plot down. Now, I do enjoy stereotypical humor from time to time, but the fact that Pheromosa's nothing more than a fast feminine-looking Ultra Beast who's stealing people's crystals because she finds them pretty is the most underwhelming thing they could have done with it. It doesn't even have any personality to save it. It's just there to be fast, steal jewelry and comically ignore Meowth's advances. And that among the worst things you can do to the main villain of an episode: make them the least interesting/relevant part of the episode.

A UG episode that wasn't mind-numbingly cringe=inducing, terribly paced, and poorly executed?

Where was this quality for every other UB episode

Why are they NOW putting effort into episodes?

Also, nice to get confirmation on Nagisa's gender via the Stock Footage montage. Pity he then vanished for the rest of the episode
Did you guys notice that Mallow's Shaymin wasn't present in some scenes? Could it be that Mallow keeps it inside Poke ball even if she is only taking care of on the time until it changes its form for the next migration?
I think it and Nagisa got left behind at the base because I didn't notice either of them outside of it

The episode had a few good moments, like Mimikyu, Faba, Meltan and the cameos, but the way the plot was developed was so random that I hardly cared about anything. Meowth and Pheromosa's relationship was terribly written, even for comedic abusive relationship standards. All she did was running and collecting crystals for no reason, and all he did was doing creepy faces and using weird phrases. I would say it was one of his worst episodes.

I'm neutral on the Bewear thing, the idea wasn't bad but it came out of nowhere and she did seem too overpowered.

2/10

Nagisa got left behind at the base because I didn't notice either of them outside of it

It think I saw him during the flight sequence for a spilt second on Lana's shoulder.

EDIT: Checked again, and, yup, he's there.
Though he still doesn't appear for the rest of the episode. No idea why thought. Would've been a nice time to show more of its moves.

Last edited:
First thing's first, I know my job is to praise the TRio over everyone else, but why is Togedemaru so adorable?! :bulbaLove: Every time she does something mischievous and Maamane exasperatedly stops her I drown in cute!!

Ok, now I've got that off my chest, this episode was nothing more or less than a demonstration of why the TRio's family dynamics are simply the best. Of course they don't take it too seriously that Nyasu has developed yet another inappropriate infatuation, but they're also sensitive enough to not REALLY rub it in his face. I thought it was a lovely, understated touch that Musashi was the only person who didn't find his crush funny, and that he in turn expected the most sympathy from her after it all went tits up. Who could possibly not find that last scene heartwarming 'huh?!

Points docked for poor use of twerps - if you want to include them in that many scenes, they should be damn well interacting with the Rockets more meaningfully than simply commenting on Nyasu's questionable life choices.

I'm just wondering why I haven't seen fanfics where Ash holds onto the U.B's and uses them to be 'competent', and INO.

Probably because nobody considers these UB captures to be Ash's pokemon, he's not capturing them for himself, but for Lusamine to send back. Poipole is the only real release of this saga because it was part of his team.

I like me some nice balanced twerp/TRio participation in episodes that benefit from it. Especially when their interactions are more than just battling each other, which has kinda been the status quo in this series (likely because now we have more "dedicated" scenes with the TRio doing their own stuff instead of depending on what Ash and co. are doing).

I also love it when Bewear does more than taking them away. Bonus points for showcasing a serious battle between to wild Pokémon.
By the way, is this the first time Wobbuffet uses Counter/Mirror Coat in the SM series? I don't recall him taking part in any battles at all untill now. It's good to see he can still endure quite a lot of power.

Did you guys notice that Mallow's Shaymin wasn't present in some scenes? Could it be that Mallow keeps it inside Poke ball even if she is only taking care of on the time until it changes its form for the next migration?
It could be that the writers/storyboarders barely remember Shaymin is a thing because of how downplayed its appearance and presence has been. Seriously, what a way to ruin a Pokémon's mythical status.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom