• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM115: Emperor of Destruction Guzma!

Ya boy is finally here! He does not disappoint one bit, though I wasn't too pleased with the battle. Ash didn't technically lose cause Emergency Exit activated, but it was mostly another curbstomp battle for Ash.

Emergency Exit means that Golisopod knew it was going to lose if the fight continued. They were more or less even but Pikachu was putting up a good fight even while poisoned.

It did a good job at establishing both Golisopod and Guzma as cowards. They look and act tough, but when they're faced with a real challenge, they run away from it.

Either way, it means Ash is certainly capable of exerting enough pressure on Guzma's best Pokémon in a 1v1 scenario. That alone would be a loss for someone like Guzma, he is most definitely not coming out of today with an intact ego.
Kukui's words apparently also hit him pretty hard.

God it was frustrating to have that big ass speech without them explaining the rules to the Pokemon league. Will there not be any full battles or will Kaki conveniently lose just before the full battles start? Either way it's lame as fuck. Other than that it was a good episode. It did answer my other question as it was all but, stated there is no prerequisite for entry of any sort meaning that character from previous series can enter. But we'll only get Brock and Misty if anything.

The battle had good writing and animation with decent choreography. 8/10 episode.

Anyways, looks like this league is gonna play out a little differently as practically everyone who appeared on-screen seemed to declare their intentions to enter!? I don't really understand how this is logistically going to work, except for probably badly...
I think it could work out okay. It makes sense that all the classmates are entering since Kukui practically made the league with his students in mind. That being said, I think Lana, Sophocles, Mallow & Lillie will be eliminated in the first or second round, Kiawe will make it to the 3v3’s but lose to Ash, and then the 6v6’s (or 5v5’s or whatever) will begin with Gladion, Hau etc.
As for the TRio, I think they’ll probably enter as one, (though Jessie would probably take the lead) and use Mimikyu, Mareanie & Meowth? Bewear would be fun too see also. Anyway, I’m excited for the league and I think the writer’s will be able to make everything work.

I think it could work out okay. It makes sense that all the classmates are entering since Kukui practically made the league with his students in mind. That being said, I think Lana, Sophocles, Mallow & Lillie will be eliminated in the first or second round, Kiawe will make it to the 3v3’s but lose to Ash, and then the 6v6’s (or 5v5’s or whatever) will begin with Gladion, Hau etc.
As for the TRio, I think they’ll probably enter as one, (though Jessie would probably take the lead) and use Mimikyu, Mareanie & Meowth? Bewear would be fun too see also. Anyway, I’m excited for the league and I think the writer’s will be able to make everything work.
I just pray to Arceus that Bewear isn't going to take them away in the middle of a battle...

For a series full of mediocre battes, boy, was this one a pleasant surprise. Golisopod looked gorgeous animated and moved so smoothly. I loved how Pin Missile and Liquidation were portrayed, and how it wasn’t at all a pushover compared to most trainers this season.

There’s even some attention to detail in the damage it took. The only time it actually seemed hurt was when Pikachu rammed its underside, where it wasn’t armored.

I also like how ambiguous the outcome was. Golisopod can barely emote, so it’s up to interpretation wether Emergency Exit was cowardice, boredom (unlikely) or respect. It seemed far too stoic and willing to return to its pokeball for it to be just fleeing, but who knows.

Guzma totally won that fight. Emergency exits activates at 50% hp. Pikachu needed an emergency pecha berry. I don't see how boredom is unlikely.

Kukui literally called Guzma out for running away. Pikachu was still standing when Emergency Exit activated.

The boredom thing was a bluff on Guzma's part.

Noticed some people had complained about changing the custom from the games, but honestly the episode gives a decent enough explanation. I could see the issue of 'what does Ash do post Hapu' they brought up, but thems the thems.

The battle was actually entertaining...up until the animation ruined it with that Z-move. I have to admit, the portrayal of Guzma in the anime is actually pretty good. I did not have much hope after how Lusamine turned out. Boy was that a let-down. But here, I'm interested to see where they take him. Also, the rap in this episode was hilarious, especially the "Let's get high!" part in the background when Guzma made his first appearance.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom