• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM117: Shaymin, Meltan, Nagisa! The Lost Explorers!!

D4IJYzMWAAElUJK.jpg

That's really depressing, to be honest
Ash or that ninja?

I've never watched an episode of Naruto but omg I bloody love the Boruto ending that comes on before Pokeani... blah blah blah FIGHT AGAIN FIGHT AGAIN blah blah blah what a tune!

I feel like watching the subs was a mistake. Now I've got even more problems with this episode.
  • Context really made me dislike Eevee even more this episode. It keep on wandering around, ignoring its trainer and not giving 2 cents about her warnings. And it even had the audacity to get angry at Shaymin for saving its life! Not to mention that it was acting so smug while Lana was angrily telling it that it made her worry. Man, it's like the writer are actively trying to make me hate this Eevee.
  • A two days trip? A TWO DAYS TRIP?! SERIOUSLY?!?! WHY?! Why can't we visit Malie City for more than 2 episodes?! Why aren't we allowed to see the rest of Alola for more than a few episodes?! We've already seen Hau'oli City so many, with the same boring marketplace, the same boring shops, the same boring school and the same boring house that Kukui and Ash live in! Why can't we spend some more time elsewhere, explore the different costumes and traditions that the rest of Alola has to offer instead of being stuck in the same boring city that we've seen a bazillion times?!
  • So the reason why Mallow left Tsareena home was to leave someone to help her father out with the restaurant. While as thoughtful as that is and what not, I still don't appreciate that Shaymin is basically stealing the spotlight from a Pokémon that's actually owned by a main character.
  • Ash is amazed by the fact that Chikakuwakawa (or whatever his name is) is a ninja. Never mind the fact that Ash has battled a ninja Gym Leader, visited a ninja school in Johto (and, later, one in Kanto), befriended a ninja in Kalos, visited a ninja village (also in Kalos) and that one of his Pokémon evolved into a ninja-frog hybrid. sigh
  • Okay, so they explain why Ash didn't use Rowlet during the search for the missing rascals (big surprise, it was asleep, so Ash decided to leave him with his backpack at the Pokémon Center). Still doesn't explain why the rest of the classmates' Pokémon couldn't help out during the search.
On the bright side, at least the writers didn't pull another "Haven't we met you before, Nurse Joy?" moment, like the other times. Also, I guess that the fact that Chikiwikiaki was hiding under the observatory after he threw his smoke bomb was a pretty nice detail.

Because none of them would be useful for tracking?

Both Charizard and Vikavolt could fly and look for them from above; Brionne can search for them in bodies of water/ask the Pokémon living in bodies of water if they've seen the missing rascals; Snowy could try to sniff them out (since foxes are surprisingly good hunters and Snowy is a fox); Togedemaru could search the places where they could be in a flash, considering its hyperactive nature; etc.

Both Charizard and Vikavolt could fly and look for them from above; Brionne can search for them in bodies of water/ask the Pokémon living in bodies of water if they've seen the missing rascals; Snowy could try to sniff them out (since foxes are surprisingly good hunters and Snowy is a fox); Togedemaru could search the places where they could be in a flash, considering its hyperactive nature; etc.
Says a lot about how much they really care about their pokemon if they did none of that, doesn't it?

No. They just want to give the newer mons time for character development too.
It shouldn’t really occur at the expense of the older Pokémon though, specially since they too didn’t have much stellar development. Tsareena was starved for development till the mist episode, only for it to disappear.

And they're clearly trying the cute mascot Pokémon formula in full force with Shaymin and Eevee. They’re now also held in Mallow and Lana's arms like Misty's Togepi, and their antics resemble that quite a bit.

It shouldn’t really occur at the expense of the older Pokémon though, specially since they too didn’t have much stellar development. Tsareena was starved for development till the mist episode, only for it to disappear.

And they're clearly trying the cute mascot Pokémon formula in full force with Shaymin and Eevee. They’re now also held in Mallow and Lana's arms like Misty's Togepi, and their antics resemble that quite a bit.
They're much more tolerable than Togepi in my books.

They're much more tolerable than Togepi in my books.

Doesn’t mean that they’re not trying the same approach.

And there was nothing stopping them from developing Shaymin and Eevee in conjunction with the other development-starved Pokemon, instead of downplaying their focus even more. It’s specially strange seeing that they the first Pokemon of the respective trainers.

I won’t give a verdict now, but leaving Tsareena wasn’t really necessary.

Tsareena had already received more development than Shaymin. This was just their way of giving Shaymin and Mallow's relationship more focus.

Barely more development than Shaymin in spite of being around for more than 100 episodes.

Almost everything about this Mythical focus is rubbing me the wrong way, but that post can wait till the great moment Shaymin leaves.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom