• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM117: Shaymin, Meltan, Nagisa! The Lost Explorers!!

We both created a thread at the same time so I decided to delete mine

For the most part, a boring episode using an overused plot, plus Team Rocket

Was great to see Meltan used in battle, there's hope for the league yet

Was great to see some nice Japanese culture
Yeah, I agreed. It just really boring episode with only with redux from episode 16 (If I'm not wrong). Nonetheless, it seems they will be staying in Malie City for awhile before heading back to Melemele once more for lesson and the beginning of the league.

Overall, I gave this episode B-.

Guess the writers just wanted an episode to shill the current Mythicals and say "hey, these two do more than sit around being cute". Advancing the plot instead of repeating something that happened 101 episodes ago is out of the question for the writers who have apparently convinced themselves that none of the kids watching today would've been born when SM016 aired.

The episode could've worked better if Shaymin found a Gracidia and had the option to go Sky Forme for the day, before having to return to Mallow because of nightfall or ice and resume its arc. Or give a foreshadow to how Meltan could become Melmetal later on (but knowing the writers, it would most likely leave unevolved with a Melmetal already existing).

Glad to see at least another Meltan move in headbutt. Hey, we were wondering about Normalium Z useage.

The opening theme for this episode was updated with Lillie having a Z-Ring only in two scene where she is petting Snowy and at the end of the final group shot. She doesn't have it during the beach and Pokemon School scenes.

This episode was great as the return of Malie City. Sandy the Eevee, Shaymin, and Meltan were lost and got caught by Team Rocket, but however, Meltal (as steel type), was eating steel cage.
Also, during the Team Rocket battle, Mareanie poisoned Sandy, but however, Steel types are immune to Poison types as Meltal managed to defeat Mareanie.
I give this episode a B+.

When Team Rocket appear so rarely nowadays that they only just now meet Shaymin :bulbaFacepalm:

Episode was boring, and a rehash of SM016. Only positives were the outfits (loved Kiawe's and Sophocles's in particular), Mimikyu actually doing something for the first time in nearly 30 episodes, and reminding us Shaymin exists.

OVERALL SCORE:
5/10

Frankly, this episode was meh because it felt like the same formula they used in SM016. This episode could have been done better.

This episode was on the boring side for me (while also leaning slightly to the annoying side).
  • Sandy was very annoying during the first half of the episode, with it wandering around and even ruining those poor Eevee's walk and making them dance (I guess), by scaring them.
  • I feel terrible for poor Tsareena being left behind by Mallow. I guess that goes to show how much the writers cares about her, now that Mallow has a Shaymin with her.
  • The ninja guide has a very silly design imo (especially when it comes to the eyes).
  • Isn't it just lovey that the TRio acts like they've never seen a Shaymin before? Even though they met on during the Giratina movie and also tried to steal one from Marley during the Diamond & Pearl series? sigh SM's poor continuity is poor.
  • Disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the classmates' Pokémon help during the search. Both Kiawe and Ash have a Charizard and Rowlet respectively, which could have been used to search for the missing rascals, Lana has a Brionne that could have looked for them in the lake/ocean (or it could have, at least, asked the Pokémon living there if they have seen them) and Sophocles has a hyperactive rolling ball that could search an entire place in a matter of seconds. But no, they just had to have Lycanroc be the only one helping search for them, because letting the other classmates' Pokémon be helpful would be a crime.
  • Also disappointed by the fact that nothing relevant happens to the supposed stars of the episode. We don't get to see Eevee learn/use a new move, we don't learn if Meltan's Electric attack is Thunder Shock or Thunderbolt, Shaymin still doesn't justify its existence... The most relevant thing we learn about them is that Meltan knows Headbutt. whoopie :bulbaFacepalm:. So much wasted potential.
  • The comedy was really jarring this episode (more so than usual) and the Bewear moment is just as stupid and crazy as ever and it keeps on making me wish Bewear would never have been born.
On the bright side, Malie City looks gorgeous and it's definitely the highlight of the episode. They really nailed its aesthetics and I loved every minute of them showcasing the city. It's also refreshing to see the cast in some new clothes and, as much is like the details on the boys' clothes, I just have to say that the girls look absolutely fabulous in those kimonos. And I also found it interesting that some of the Pokémon living in the city also wore traditional Japanese attire. Really makes the city stand out from the rest of Alola.

Overall, boring episode with almost nothing interesting happening. I really hope the rest of the arc isn't like this.

It’s nice to see Shaymin and Meltan actually doing something and being part of the gang. It’s worth it just for that. I like that they made a point of show Meltan wasn’t affected be poison type moves.

Eevee didn’t really do anything new, but it was cute and at least it did something.

It’s nice to see Shaymin and Meltan actually doing something and being part of the gang. It’s worth it just for that. I like that they made a point of show Meltan wasn’t affected be poison type moves.

Eevee didn’t really do anything new, but it was cute and at least it did something.
I wish Eevee could learn a new move in this episode, but nah, it didn't. Maybe if Lana evolves it into a Vaporeon, it may learn a new move in the future.

I wish Eevee could learn a new move in this episode, but nah, it didn't. Maybe if Lana evolves it into a Vaporeon, it may learn a new move in the future.

I thought that too, we got to see Meltan use Headbutt and Shaymin use Aromatherapy- I was expecting to see a bit more or Eevee’s movset.

The episode was saved by the girls wearing Kimono's and the other Japanese references and food, etc. in the episode. That's all.

I personally enjoyed this episode and prefer it over SM016. I’m not sure why but this episode was just relaxing for me as a fun and simple Pokémon plot. Meltan is becoming one of my favorite Pokémon of Ash’s simply by how much personality the animators are giving it. Somehow, they are making a silver blob with a hex nut on its head expressive, which is pretty amazing. I was originally unsure about meltan but it’s whole “eating metal” thing is really cute and funny to me. I also came to appreciate Shaymin a bit more seeing how much Mallow cares for it. It was nice to see their relationship with each other after 10 episodes (poor tsareena though:bulbaLove:). As for Sandy, it was my least favorite of the three in this episode. However, I still enjoyed it and appreciated it’s personality in that it wants to explore everything and is very upbeat and energetic, like we’ve seen in the eevee shorts and SM099. Though it being “disobedient” to Lana was a bit odd. Malie City was also really well designed and I loved to see the Japanese culture tied in with it, looking forward for more of that in the next episode. Overall though, this episode was simple and fun with a nice introduction to Malie City and development of some of the newer characters - 8/10.

And people say Shaymin is useless :p

No OLM, tell us how you REALLY feel about the Naruto franchise...

I knew the producers more or less discarded a Pokemon after it was fully evolved and stopped being cute, but this might be a new low...:cry:

Ash changing clothes...Poor Serena's gonna be depressed as fuck at not getting a guest stint this saga... :cry:

Man, our old buddies at 4Kids are gonna have a heart attack or ulcers or something at all the Japanese-ness of this episode!

That awkward moment when your realize just how screentime little the TRio has gotten lately...o_O

That's one for Mareanie. Ouch.

Mimikyu: That all you got, bitch?

That's one for Meltan and especially Sandy.

Rescue or kidnapping? You decide!

And Team Rocket it caught by the dreaded Kite Eating Tree!

D4IJYzMWAAElUJK.jpg

That's really depressing, to be honest

As echoed above, getting some downtime to showcase Malie City was the highlight of an episode that did not have much else going for it. I like Meltan despite myself and oscillate between loving and loathing Nagisa, but somehow Shaymin sucked the energy out of that group and even the TRio. Just WHY - the Mao episode was so good - what was the point of adding Shaymin into the mix?!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom