• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM120: Suiren Fishes a Kyogre!?

The first half reminded me of AG/DP/BW action episodes. Many Pokemon got to do something and it was overall fun.

The second half, ehh...I don't know how to rate it. It made sense that Kyogre would get angry, and it made sense that Primarina's song would be able to calm it, but it still felt like yet another showoff of Lana's badassery rather than an attempt to make her learn something new. Also, the pacing during this part was weird, I didn't understand why Kyogre didn't released itself from the rod. It's definitely nerfed.

... I hate to use stats, but there is a bit of a difference between a Meltan and a Darkrai.

That wasn't the point, the argument was about whether or not having a legendary or mythical on a team causes them to "lose significance" in the anime. There's also a bit of a difference between Meltan and Latios, but you didn't bother to point that out.

You should have known this by now, Ash can never have nice things. Instead of a Pokemon that can full fledged mega-evolve, he gets a Pokemon that has a creepy reptilian version of himself as an alternate forme. So if he's going to get a mythical, he's going to get something that is for now, pretty much useless.

Tobias literally existed as one of the laziest ways for the writers to have Ash lose a league in the series and is a sour note to what had been a good league. He wasn’t so much a character as much as a roadblock.

And as for Meltan, the point still stands that S&M has basically undermined the significance of these Pokémon.

I think the anime "undermined the significance" of mythical / legendary Pokemon in the various series long before SM.

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that Lana's Brionne evolving hasn't evoked much ire even though she didn't do much to deserve Primarina; like, I can imagine how much flack Serena would've gotten by comparison if her Braixen had evolved into Delphox.

The first half reminded me of AG/DP/BW action episodes. Many Pokemon got to do something and it was overall fun.

The second half, ehh...I don't know how to rate it. It made sense that Kyogre would get angry, and it made sense that Primarina's song would be able to calm it, but it still felt like yet another showoff of Lana's badassery rather than an attempt to make her learn something new. Also, the pacing during this part was weird, I didn't understand why Kyogre didn't released itself from the rod. It's definitely nerfed.

It's true that Kyogre's a powerful Pokemon, but don't forget that it was still weakened from damage by the poison and the electric net. It obviously wasn't at full strength, even if it was still pretty tough. (Besides, if Kyogre was at full strength, the storm it created would've been a lot more severe.)

I think the anime "undermined the significance" of mythical / legendary Pokemon in the various series long before SM.
Not really. In prior series, legendaries appeared in movies and episodes that demonstrated how special/powerful they are. Meanwhile SM has just been having them spring up left and right not really using them sparingly in the least, especially for the ones that have been showing up having nothing to do with Alola. That is how you undermine them by making their appearance so commonplace that it means nothing.

I'm just surprised that Lana's Brionne evolving hasn't evoked much ire even though she didn't do much to deserve Primarina; like, I can imagine how much flack Serena would've gotten by comparison if her Braixen had evolved into Delphox.
Yeah but we’ve had plenty of Pokémon that evolved when they really hadn’t done anything in prior series. Charmeleon to Charizard, Pidove to Tranquill, Serena’s Eevee to Sylveon, Starly to Staravia, even Noibat to Noivern could be argued. I guess people didn’t care too much as it was pretty much confirmed in SM106, so we’ve had over 3 months to prepare.

I mean, it is kinda annoying but it’s more to do with the fact that they’ve had so much time to space things out and develop Lana and her team throughout the saga yet waited until almost 100 episodes in to even begin with the capture of Eevee. At this point, it’s more another symptom of a bigger problem with the overall writing than just with 1 character.

It's true that Kyogre's a powerful Pokemon, but don't forget that it was still weakened from damage by the poison and the electric net. It obviously wasn't at full strength, even if it was still pretty tough. (Besides, if Kyogre was at full strength, the storm it created would've been a lot more severe.)

Yeah, but we're talking about an angry 352 kg/776 lb whale against an average rod.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom