• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM120: Suiren Fishes a Kyogre!?

Well, I mean, Ash did capture Meltan, a mythical type Pokemon.The Meltan is on his team...

And during the league in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, some dude named Tobias had a Darkrai and a Latios on his team and won the league.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to signify about the status of legendary in the anime, they are nothing more than plot devices for the writers to advance the story.
Tobias literally existed as one of the laziest ways for the writers to have Ash lose a league in the series and is a sour note to what had been a good league. He wasn’t so much a character as much as a roadblock.

And as for Meltan, the point still stands that S&M has basically undermined the significance of these Pokémon.

Yet another episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. Sun & Moon is climbing the ranks of my favorite series week after week. There hasn’t been an episode I haven’t cared for in months! Back to the episode though, it was truly amazing and gorgeous to watch. I love how the writers handled this episode. It was nice to see Ash and Lana separate from the rest of the class. While I love the other classmates, I feel that this was the best decision. I was very happy to see Ash telling Lana what a “Pokémon Hunter” was, as he’s dealt with one in the past. It was also great to see all of Ash’s Pokémon battle, and how they all contributed and helped out. It was very cool to see how Ash’s team was very serious and ready to fight, as Ash told them it was an important situation. While there were many other things I loved, such as Tsareena kicking the heck out of some water types and the Hunter’s “blasting off” to Officer Jenny, the main highlight was, obviously, Brionne’s evolution into Primarina. It’s great to see how Lana and Popplio have grown so much since the beginning of the series. Primarina looked great and I really enjoy how Lana can ride on it, that is a nice touch. I could go on and on about this episode but you get the gist. Overall, 10/10. A beautiful episode from start to finish.

Also, am I the only one who doesn’t really see that big of a problem with Ash catching a Meltan and Mallow “watching over” a Shaymin? Now if Lana caught this Kyogre, I could understand the problem people would have with it, but Meltan and an un-caught Shaymin? I know that they’re supposed to be rare and special, but it just doesn’t bug me that much. :wynaut:

I waited for English subs, but it turns out they didn’t really reveal anything that I couldn’t have figured out anyway.

First half of the episode was great, but the second half gave me that feeling of “deja vu” with SM033. Still nice to see Primarina, though it would’ve been better if the trailer hadn’t spoiled it. And I too am glad that Lana didn’t catch Kyogre, I mean that’d be stretching the credibility of this whole arc.

Well, I mean, Ash did capture Meltan, a mythical type Pokemon.The Meltan is on his team...

And during the league in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, some dude named Tobias had a Darkrai and a Latios on his team and won the league.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to signify about the status of legendary in the anime, they are nothing more than plot devices for the writers to advance the story.

... I hate to use stats, but there is a bit of a difference between a Meltan and a Darkrai.

... I hate to use stats, but there is a bit of a difference between a Meltan and a Darkrai.
It's not even a question of "stats" here. Meltan is just waaaaaaay less powerful than Darkrai.

Not to mention Meltan is way more common than Darkrai. There are literally two instances of Darkrai counting both movies and anime, whereas hundreds of Meltan have to combine to even evolve.

Not to mention Meltan is way more common than Darkrai. There are literally two instances of Darkrai counting both movies and anime, whereas hundreds of Meltan have to combine to even evolve.
Three Darkrai. Not two. One in the movie, one in Canalave City, and one with Tobias. Also, there's 20 Meltan in the anime, not hundreds.

Tobias literally existed as one of the laziest ways for the writers to have Ash lose a league in the series and is a sour note to what had been a good league. He wasn’t so much a character as much as a roadblock.

And as for Meltan, the point still stands that S&M has basically undermined the significance of these Pokémon.
You say it's a sour note, but I think it's all about how you choose to see it. I see that battle as the battle we got to see Sceptile, Swellow and Torkoal battle again, but even more important that is the battle Ash managed to defeat two Legendary/Mythical Pokemon in the same official battle, a feat no other trainer in the entire series has done.

Three Darkrai. Not two. One in the movie, one in Canalave City, and one with Tobias. Also, there's 20 Meltan in the anime, not hundreds.

Forgot about the Canaclave Darkrai, since I didn’t remember that episode well. My fault there.

Hundreds of Meltan was an hyperbole since I wasn’t bothered enough to count the amount of Meltan the anime had. We don’t even have proof that they’re all the Meltan in the world (which would make SM even more unrealistic than it already is) or how many would be required to evolve.

The spirit of my post was to point out how common Meltan is compared to Darkrai.

You say it's a sour note, but I think it's all about how you choose to see it. I see that battle as the battle we got to see Sceptile, Swellow and Torkoal battle again, but even more important that is the battle Ash managed to defeat two Legendary/Mythical Pokemon in the same official battle, a feat no other trainer in the entire series has done.

I personally view it as both- Tobias could’ve been done better, but the present situation still showed how far Ash has come, and he was effectively the runner up, since no one else was able to defeat his Darkrai.

Him having a Latios as a second Pokemon was a bit too much imo, but the former point still makes it a sweet-and-sour deal for me.

Very good episode. Finally one where I could enjoy it from start to finish. Although, I honestly think Lana should have let go of the rod as soon as things started to get stormy. I can understand the intention behind using the fishing rod to give Kyogre the Antidote so as to not get too close and upset it, but she should have discarded it as soon as it served its purpose. If it wasn't for Primarina, she would've drowned.

I personally view it as both- Tobias could’ve been done better, but the present situation still showed how far Ash has come, and he was effectively the runner up, since no one else was able to defeat his Darkrai.

Him having a Latios as a second Pokemon was a bit too much imo, but the former point still makes it a sweet-and-sour deal for me.

At least we got to see Pikachu take down a Latios.

I mean, he lost to a Snivy right afterwards (which I really wish people should really let go of by this point, because the constant mentioning of it is just annoying now) but that was just epic!

At least we got to see Pikachu take down a Latios.

I mean, he lost to a Snivy right afterwards (which I really wish people should really let go of by this point, because the constant mentioning of it is just annoying now) but that was just epic!
However Pikachu beating a legendary was nothing new at that point as it had already beaten Regice at the end of the previous saga.

Tobias pulling out a second legendary for me was just lazy writing as, with Darkrai, it had already brought out half of Ash’s team and just as it seemed that we would be getting a real battle with Darkrai out of the way, they pulled Latios out of their asses to basically sweep most of the remaining members of Ash’s team, usually with one shot. It was definitely not a good way to end a league and just felt like they were rushing things at that point especially when you compare it with Johto and Hoenn’s endings.

This was episode felt very meh to me. Lana's Brionne evolving after doing nothing note-worthy since it evolved previously was bad and they should've had at least one episode focused on it before they decided to have it evolve. The fact that they refused yet again to show more of Eevee's moves is a missed opportunity (yet again). Still not a fan of them giving Lana one of Misty's special lures (off-screen of all things). And unless Ash has some kind of phobia of non-Pikachu Electric-type moves, I still don't understand why they won't have him tell Meltan to use Thunder Shock (since it would've been useful in short-circuiting the bad guy's ship).

My main problem with the episode were the stupid, underwhelming, Punk Guy-looking villains. I really didn't like them or their designs or their Team Rocket-esque plan or their Team Rocket-esque Pokémon-themed submersible or... anything about them. Why couldn't they look like some normal Pokémon Hunters? If the argument is that they really wanted the hunter and his underlings to have unique designs, then why couldn't they make them look intimidating and dangerous (like the Iron-Masked Marauder) or, at the very least, have them look competent (like Hunter J), instead of goofy? And why did they have to have that Carvanha boat instead of an actual, high-tech looking submarine? You really expect me to believe that a bunch of jokers dressed like punks and using a TRio-ish mech were able to find and capture a Kyogre? Also, no idea why they included the scene of them landing in front of sunbathing Jenny (outside of the obvious fan service). It's not like they're gonna get locked up by her, since Viren, who was straight-up arrested by a Jenny, apparently suffered no consequences for his actions and made a return 11 episodes later, acting like nothing ever happened (not to mention that SM just loves to turn every COD into a recurring character for no reason).

On the bright side, at least they actually focused on the main story of the episode for once, instead of jumping back and forth between what the classmates and what the main stars of the episode were doing. And they did a good job of making Primarina look fabulos throughout the episode (or at least the parts it's in). Even if it didn't deserve that evolution. Also, kind of cute that the classmates still have the lures they had in SM005. Hooray for continuity!

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom