• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM124: Perfect Sharpness! Kamiturugi has Arrived!!

All of the Ultra Guardian episodes have been dreadful and filler-like, so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything better from this one. I don't think that the Deoxys and Rayquaza scene was even needed since the meteor could've shown up without them. At least these over the top Super Sentai wannabe episodes are finally over.

They aren't done. The Ultra Guardians concept is just begging for toys to be made, but aside from a few figurines and plushes of the Pokemon wearing the amulets, the toys are nowhere to be found.

So nope, the Super Sentai parody isn't over.

They aren't done. The Ultra Guardians concept is just begging for toys to be made, but aside from a few figurines and plushes of the Pokemon wearing the amulets, the toys are nowhere to be found.

So nope, the Super Sentai parody isn't over.

I hope you’re right, because dear Arceus, this episode would be a really trashy finale.

What? The Meltan that Clefable keeps an eye on are multiplying?
Yup! Remember this Meltan pyramid from episode 112?
651.jpg

Well, now there's two of those!
225.jpg

Well that was a poor offering. It's hard to remember that I once found the bog-standard TRio Pikachu Get Attempt episode formulaic having now experienced this Ultra Guardians nonsense. It's not just that so much animation is reused (though that doesn't help), but the set up, drama and resolution of the majority of these episodes has been point-for-point duplicated. As for Rayquaza & Deoxys, I'm not even going to go there.

Kamitsurugi's voice was cool and our old pal @Dogasu has posted a cool thread on Twitter on the subject.

All minor complaints aside, I was literally here to get my TRio fix so having seen them watch an infomercial and sit cross-legged awaiting the direct strike of an asteroid on their heads, I leave satisfied...

I had a bad feeling about this one when I saw Rayquaza and Deoxys in the preview. At least the Legendary part was short and they didn't usurp screen time from Kartana, so I'm at least happy about that.

I really like Kartana. I think it's a cool and unique Pokemon even by Ultra Beast standards, so trust me when I say I wanted this to be good, but by the end it ended up being one of the most meh episodes ever. Kartana cutting a bunch of stuff up got tedious after about half the episode passed (though I'll say the Furfrou gag was funny, seriously put those in the games!). Sure the beast cutting up the meteor near the end was an impressive feat, but that whole thing + the Legendaries felt almost like a completely separate plot almost as if a whole new episode just started, it just felt awkward to me how the thing played out. I just can't help but get this nagging feeling that the second half of the episode could've played out differently. The fact that Kartana could slice up the beast balls could've meant a chance to try to improvise catching it like Pheromosa before, I mean that didn't work out last time...but you get what I mean, it could've made for some sort of challenge for the team at the very least; the meteor seemed a bit over-the-top and unnecessary when they could've just did something like this instead. Really I think this whole episode would have been better if it were more like the Pheromosa one, but whatever. I guess I can say Kartana's voice was cool and despite the somewhat repetitive gag it had far more personality than I would expect from a living piece of flying paper.

Praise Arceus this is the last Ultra Guardians episode (at least, I am hoping it is). Boy, these types of episodes were dreadfully average AT BEST. The only things I liked here are Kartana cutting stuff (as well as how it talks, points for that at least) and the Furfrou hairstyles (especially the Alolan Ninetales one, that's my fave).

Praise Arceus this is the last Ultra Guardians episode (at least, I am hoping it is). Boy, these types of episodes were dreadfully average AT BEST. The only things I liked here are Kartana cutting stuff (as well as how it talks, points for that at least) and the Furfrou hairstyles (especially the Alolan Ninetales one, that's my fave).
I personally have had no problems with the UG episodes. SM was never intended to be the most serious of series, so I don't see any problem in these episodes being somewhat silly too.

I personally have had no problems with the UG episodes. SM was never intended to be the most serious of series, so I don't see any problem in these episodes being somewhat silly too.
It's not the part where they are silly. Silly basically describes the entire series. The Ultra Guardians episodes are pointless and not any better or exciting than your regular non-UG episode.

This episode raises so many questions

Where did Kartana learn about Arceus? (Where'd the limiter ring on the furfrou come from)
Where did PokeEarth get an asteroid field from?
Why is the Aether Foundation going Big Brother's Always Watching on Alola?
Why are the adults so far behind on trying to capture and research Ultra Beasts? They're lucky the UB haven't been actively malevolent, otherwise Alola would've been reduced to a smoking ruin due to them sometimes waiting dozens of hours to actually do anything
Are they foreshadowing Lillie winning the League by equating the Alolan vulpix line to god?

When I heard of the Meteor falling to Earth, I wasn't surprised that Kartana would slice through it, making it harmless. Pokemon of the Week is usually the one to save the day

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom