• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

PREVIEW: SM126: Pikachu's Exciting Expedition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I think I’ll just call this one a free week because of all the filler episodes that S&M has given us, this has got to be one of, if not the most pointless filler yet. This kind of writing right here is why S&M gets the flack it does. They could have used this time to develop the cast members getting set for the league since it’s about to start but instead choose to waste an episode on a glorified Pikachu short based on a non issue of the Pokémon looking for Ash. What a waste of time.

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Rath said:
Sounds like a Pikachu short that would air alongside a movie, but extended into a full episode
Pikachu "shorts" are regular episode length to begin with.

SammyW27 said:
A Pikachu short disguised as an episode...
Literally every series has at least a few of these.

Reaction score
Issue with S and M is that we are just as likely to find this episode leading to some new move or something as nothing at all. Or we might see the Tobias, one of the two.

Reaction score
This episode has all the makings of something excellent and memorable. I also hope there isn't too much (or even any, is that possible?!) narration - would make it very unique.
Excellent and memorable in what way? It’s literally a Pikachu short turned into an episode featuring a plot that completely unnecessary.

怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
Excellent and memorable in what way? It’s literally a Pikachu short turned into an episode featuring a plot that completely unnecessary.
What kind of plot would you consider completely necessary?

Charizard Enthusiast (Armed and Ready to Go)
Reaction score
What kind of plot would you consider completely necessary?
How about an episode expanding on Ash's rivalry with Hau? Or how about and episode fleshing out Kukui's past with Guzma that also shows us what Guzma is up to right now? Or an episode about the TRio preparing for the League? Or an episode focusing on Lana and Mallow helping each other train for the League (since the latter hasn't even done any kind of training whatsoever for the League)?

How about an episode dedicated to anything related to the main characters' preparations for the Alola League, in general? That's something that would be more important than seeing what Pikachu and co. did while Ash was away.

Prince of the Sea
Reaction score
I just realized: this is the second series in a row where Ash's regional Flying type wears his hat while being separated from him. First it was Hawlucha in XY, and now it's Rowlet.

Last edited:
怪しいことも何一つない。
Reaction score
How about an episode dedicated to anything related to the main characters' preparations for the Alola League, in general? That's something that would be more important than seeing what Pikachu and co. did while Ash was away.
No doubt you're right. But I know this - in 6 weeks' time I will be heartily sick of the League and all its associated nonsense. A little lighthearted filler pre-League never did anyone any harm.

Master of the Shadows
Reaction score
No doubt you're right. But I know this - in 6 weeks' time I will be heartily sick of the League and all its associated nonsense. A little lighthearted filler pre-League never did anyone any harm.
Yeah; at this point, the reactions to the League are gonna be a sh*tstorm no matter what happens. Might as well have one fun episode beforehand.

웃♥유
Reaction score
How about an episode expanding on Ash's rivalry with Hau?
Ugh, I wish. I find this episode to be cute and all, but I'd still sell my soul to see Hau get some screen-time here rather than watch Ash's Pokemon become Dora the Explorer. I hate how the writers made a big deal about everyone needing to train for the league a few episodes ago, and now they're just like "**** it, Pikachu short or bust."

Reaction score
Yeah; at this point, the reactions to the League are gonna be a sh*tstorm no matter what happens. Might as well have one fun episode beforehand.
S&M has basically been 60-70% lighthearted fluff. God forbid that the series actually has some focus with the cast getting ready before the league starts especially when they can desperately use it. This is basically using an episode slot that could have gone towards development such as us learning why most of them even want to compete in the first place but instead it’s meaningless fluff. It would be like if, when Ash was sent to the alternate Alola that we had to get an episode of everyone looking for him despite the audience already knowing that he’s fine. It’s pointless.

V for veritable vegetable
Reaction score
Ugh, I wish. I find this episode to be cute and all, but I'd still sell my soul to see Hau get some screen-time here rather than watch Ash's Pokemon become Dora the Explorer. I hate how the writers made a big deal about everyone needing to train for the league a few episodes ago, and now they're just like "**** it, Pikachu short or bust."
My theory? The writers realised actual training is required this close to the league and since an episode not dedicated to lighthearted stuff is apparently sinful, it happens offscreen for us to assume the characters haven’t been sitting on their asses this whole time.

Charizard Enthusiast (Armed and Ready to Go)
Reaction score
My theory? The writers realised actual training is required this close to the league and since an episode not dedicated to lighthearted stuff is apparently sinful, it happens offscreen for us to assume the characters haven’t been sitting on their asses this whole time.
Development that happens off-screen is meaningless and unimpactful. Showing the characters training, struggling and persevering is far more effective than just saying "Yeah, they had some problems at first, but now they got better".

It's a simple case "Show, don't tell".

Reaction score
I have a theory that any writers who think that way don’t need to have a job writing on Pokémon or any series that amounts to anything more than meaningless fluff.

Reaction score
This is not going to be like Island of the Giant Pokémon I guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.