• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM126: Pikachu's Exciting Expedition!

Maybe not if it has significance to plot in a way that either moves it forward or presents character development. This episode however had none of that and was both boring and pointless even by filler standards. It basically unnecessarily turned a plot relevant episode into a 2 parter, showing us a perspective nobody was asking for.
Filler episodes have been dubbed before.

Which is frustrating, since there's been a lot of other episodes that have other plots happening in the background that sound much more interesting than what the episode was actually about

SM121: Everyone helping out at Aina Cafe while Mallow plays in the woods
SM122: Classmates training in Z-Moves while Team Rocket does nothing of note
SM123: Girls training their Z-Moves while Ash & Kiawe torture Sophocles
Hell going even further back to Sinnoh, how about actually showing us Quilava’s battle in the league (seriously, the Hell were the writers on to cut away from that to show us what TRio were up to with trying to get sales?)? These writers’ priorities are all screwed up.

how about actually showing us Quilava’s battle in the league (seriously, the Hell were the writers on to cut away from that to show us what TRio were up to with trying to get sales?)?
Amen to that. It was Quilava's first battle after it's evolution, and it had to be the round of the battle that mostly happened off-screen?! What the heck?!

Amen to that. It was Quilava's first battle after it's evolution, and it had to be the round of the battle that mostly happened off-screen?! What the heck?!
And to make matters worse, it was it’s only battle in the league. Did the writers just not think that fans would love to see what Quilava could do after not only not seeing it in action since it’s battle against Jackson’s Magneton hundreds of episodes ago in the Silver Conference but also after the miracle that was them evolving it 2 gens later?

Hell going even further back to Sinnoh, how about actually showing us Quilava’s battle in the league (seriously, the Hell were the writers on to cut away from that to show us what TRio were up to with trying to get sales?)? These writers’ priorities are all screwed up.

Team Rocket were popular among the production team, they appeared in every single episode up to BW, would have loved to have seen more of Quilava’s battle as well, they evolved Cyndaquil after a decade only to give it little screen time

I don't think we missed much about the Quilava's battle. It was about to attack right before the cutaway to TR, and then we see the aftermath of that attack.

I don't think we missed much about the Quilava's battle. It was about to attack right before the cutaway to TR, and then we see the aftermath of that attack.
The fact that both Pokémon were clearly worn out by the time it cut back, we clearly missed something. Plus, it’s a league battle with a rival. Whether you find something interesting happened or not, we don’t wait an entire region for a league to see Ash’s battle getting cut off by see what TRio is up to. We see them on a daily basis. The league is Ash’s time.

I was hoping we would get an episode focusing on the Pokemon, which we got here but sadly the plot was on them finding where Ash went.

A more enjoyable plot would be them just having fun, enjoying themselves like Pikachu's Vacation

Still. The fact is that we missed something, while the thing we saw in its stead was something we've seen many times before.
TR having a success despite of a really big handicap is not something we've seen many times. In fact, DP league is probably the only time it happened for real.
The fact that both Pokémon were clearly worn out by the time it cut back, we clearly missed something. Plus, it’s a league battle with a rival. Whether you find something interesting happened or not, we don’t wait an entire region for a league to see Ash’s battle getting cut off by see what TRio is up to. We see them on a daily basis. The league is Ash’s time.
Heracross is supposed to be the star of that match, which explains why they keep it relatuvely short.

Last edited by a moderator:
TR having a success despite of a really big handicap is not something we've seen many times. In fact, DP league is probably the only time it happened for real.
Maybe, but they still cut away from the Pokémon that had had the least amount of time to show off its battle prowess in its current form.

TR having a success despite of a really big handicap is not something we've seen many times. In fact, DP league is probably the only time it happened for real. Like imagine if you were watching the Super Bowl and suddenly every broadcast was interrupted by a skit out of nowhere and the game was still going on but everyone watching was missing it because of the skit. That is basically the equivalent of this.

Heracross is supposed to be the star of that match, which explains why they keep it relatuvely short.
Still it was neither the time nor the place. If they wanted to show us this in a time where no battles were going on involving Ash or his rivals fine but you do not interrupt a league battle for that ever. That’s the kind of writing that people get pissed at.

And while Heracross may have been the star of the battle, there’s no excuse for that kind of laziness as to cut away from the battle. The time they used on TRio could have gone to the battle and none of the time for Heracross’ battle would have been lost.

Agreed, this was poor. Disappointed because SM have done a lot of great fluffy fillers and given the Pokemon loads of personality. Not Fujisaku's best outing I'm afraid.

First time I've watched an episode in a while. Honestly, I like seeing the Pokemon interacting with each other and doing thinks without humans around, so I was interested in this episode. Sadly, it was pretty meh. This had the potential to be interesting, but the nothing really came out of Pikachu and crew's 'journey'. Most of it ended up being a bunch of goofing off and gags (which isn't at all surprising, but still pretty annoying) as opposed to seriously looking for Ash, which was my biggest issue.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this kind of scenario would seem fitting if say, all of Ash's Pokemon were asleep and he went off to the store without their knowledge, then they woke up and saw he was gone, and went off to look for him. But Ash straight up VANISHED INTO THIN AIR, and the Pokemon's responses seemed more like he was just casually missing. The wolf mutt and Meltan were literally playing around in the snow when they were supposed to be focused on finding their master after he literally could have vanished off the face of the planet. All of them went crazy trying to kill each other to eat a damn berry, instead of LOOKING FOR ASH. Like really? Ya'll ain't that hungry that it should be worth sacrificing looking for your departed trainer. If it was the other way around, I highly doubt Ash stop for anything in the midst of looking for his Pokemon. Even the conversation with Clebfable...like maybe it's just me, but I would expect Pikachu to not be asking about the Meltan multiplying and instead be like "Alright, no time to talk, we need to find Ash now! Send in the Garchomp!" C'mon bruh, why are you standing around talking to Clefable when Ash could be in danger? The only real emotion we got was at the end when Pikachu teared up upon seeing Ash. But sorry, one scene at the end doesn't cut it. To me this episode only made it seem like Ash's Pokemon don't really care as much about him as one would think. But hey, I'm sure kids will find it funny so my opinion is basically irrelevant. :p

I didn't mind the narrator speaking over everyone, since it gives insight to how the Pokemon speak and interact with each other. Sadly, I don't speak any Japanese so anything of note that cold be discerned from their personalities. I need to wait for the dub on. :p

Overall, I feel like this episode really made Ash's Pokemon seem out of character.

Really too much for me to wait for 3 weeks to see ash classmate. Two weeks is too much so how is 3 weeks. I REALLY LOVE SEEING ASH FLCOASSMATE SPECIALLY LANA, MALLOW, LILLIE AND MAMANE the electric person.

Glad that the episode in next sunday is for lillie with her vulpix and their new sepzero attack to wake up the magerna. Glad that the next Sunday is nearby to come which is after 3 days from now

Well at least now we have the most tangible evidence ever for when someone doesn't believe this show is aimed at elementary school children, I guess.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom