• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM127: Glazio and Lilie! Chasing a Father's Phantom!!

Nice episode that shows off SM's strengths

Now if only they did this more than once evey 50 episodes or so...
They did so why not add personality and characteristics of Gladion Pokémon unberon and Lycanroc

Lycanrock shown to care for Ash lycanrock as he herd it from far distance as he wanted to help as he shown to run off from his trainer, then he truly to ask God Pokémon to heal it but gets attack and it was showing too protect rockruff. He proven to be powerful opponent to Ash’s lycanrock.

His Umbreon shown to be out of his pokeball often, shown to help out Gladion to find Zorak and protect him. He even has good bond with Gladion monther’s Absol And been friendly to zorark.

They did so why not add personality and characteristics of Gladion Pokémon unberon and Lycanroc

Lycanrock shown to care for Ash lycanrock as he herd it from far distance as he wanted to help as he shown to run off from his trainer, then he truly to ask God Pokémon to heal it but gets attack and it was showing too protect rockruff. He proven to be powerful opponent to Ash’s lycanrock.

His Umbreon shown to be out of his pokeball often, shown to help out Gladion to find Zorak and protect him. He even has good bond with Gladion monther’s Absol And been friendly to zorark.
I think people don't care much about SM pokémon. It's like BW's DA arc, people somehow lost interest in little personality details like.

Okay, I finally got to watch the subbed version, and my second impressions are as good as the first time I watched this episode. Every scene with Lillie and Gladion were very heartwarming and the reunion with Zoroark was nicely done. This episode is another stunning reminder for me how much Gladion deserved to be in more episodes of this saga. Nice touch having Zoroark be caught in a Dusk Ball.

So, having watched the episode, I have to ask this: Why couldn't we spend more time on Gladion's subplot? Seriously, the scenes involving Gladion were the most interesting parts of the episode, while everything else involving Ash and the classmates was either boring, annoying or both (except for Lillie mastering her Z-move). Or better yet, since this episode is called "Gladio and Lillie...", how about focusing more on Lillie and Snowy training, instead of just showing them successfully perform Subzero Slammer in a slightly below 2 minutes scene that was shown towards the end. Don't get me wrong, that was a pretty cool and emotional moment, but it felt kind of sudden, since she didn't do anything to get there. The writers could've focused more on Lillie and her determination to master that move, even give Snowy some attention and show its desire to become stronger and help Lillie, as well as giving it some much needed focus and development. But nope, can't have that in a Lillie episode. sigh I miss the days when Pokémon would be treated less like common pets, cute playthings and/or plot devices and more like proper characters.

Any kind of scene that involved the classmates was completely pointless. Showing Vikavolt and Primarina training by battling each other while using new moves? Neither of them have that much battle experience, so it doesn't tell us anything about they're strengths, them knowing powerful moves doesn't automatically mean that they're good battlers or that they stand a chance and them fighting against each other doesn't make them seem more skilled or impressive when it comes to Pokémon battles (especially since they just throw one attack at each other that collides with the other's). Mallow attempting to use Bloom Doom? She just fails (ironic, considering that she studied how to do the Z-move for school, taught Ash how to do the Z-move and even scolded him for not doing it properly), gets complimented by Kiawe for doing a great job (okaaaay?) and is later taught by Kiawe how to... properly... do... the pose that she already did properly? Honestly, all of the Mallow scenes were confusing and pointless. And then there's the league announcement that was nothing more than silly face fest, with the animators/storyboard artist/writers/whoever make those stupid hyperbolic facial expressions filling that entire scene with nothing more than funny faces, useless information and a reminder that Lana has a weird fetish for buff dudes and buff Pokémon.

Anyways, onto something more positive, it would be criminal of me not to mention the amazing ending of this episode. The constant build up this moment received throughout this episode, the way it was animated and "shot", the reactions from Gladion and his Umbreon, the music, the voice acting (and I'd like to mention that, when it comes to the Pokémon anime, I usually watch the subbed version on mute, but this time, I decide to make an exception, because it was just that dang good)... absolutely everything about this scene is amazing and it just shows that, when the writers actually put their minds to it, they can make a great story that is on par with those of the other series (to bad they don't often do that). Oh, and I also enjoyed that bonus scene at the end of the Poké Problem. I don't know why, but I really loved Lycanroc's reaction when he witnessed Zoroark transform into Silvally via Illusion (maybe because it looked like a good old normal expression as opposed to the silly faces that get shoved into a huge majority of SM). And horray, we finally see a Dusk Ball being used in the anime. Took them about 12 years, but hey, better late than never.

Last edited:
I'm very glad that the writers chose to use the last pre-league episode on pushing these two characters' stories forward and showing them getting ready for the league and going for their own personal goals. It delivered many emotional moments and some details about the league. The nitpicker in me thinks that some parts could have been rewritten to give more time for a Umbreon vs Zoroark battle and a couple of failed attempts of Lillie's Z-move.
8/10

Just realized something, Zoroark belongs to Mohn yet Gladion was able to catch it, does that mean Mohn released it or something like that?
It ran away. That probably counts as escaping.

Do we know for certain that Gladion caught it? For all we know, that Dusk Ball could be Mohn's/Zoroark's and Gladion may have gotten it from his mother.

So, having watched the episode, I have to ask this: Why couldn't we spend more time on Gladion's subplot? Seriously, the scenes involving Gladion were the most interesting parts of the episode, while everything else involving Ash and the classmates was either boring, annoying or both (except for Lillie mastering her Z-move). Or better yet, since this episode is called "Gladio and Lillie...", how about focusing more on Lillie and Snowy training, instead of just showing them successfully perform Subzero Slammer in a slightly below 2 minutes scene that was shown towards the end. Don't get me wrong, that was a pretty cool and emotional moment, but it felt kind of sudden, since she didn't do anything to get there. The writers could've focused more on Lillie and her determination to master that move, even give Snowy some attention and show its desire to become stronger and help Lillie, as well as giving it some much needed focus and development. But nope, can't have that in a Lillie episode. sigh I miss the days when Pokémon would be treated less like common pets, cute playthings and/or plot devices and more like proper characters.

Any kind of scene that involved the classmates was completely pointless. Showing Vikavolt and Primarina training by battling each other while using new moves? Neither of them have that much battle experience, so it doesn't tell us anything about they're strengths, them knowing powerful moves doesn't automatically mean that they're good battlers or that they stand a chance and them fighting against each other doesn't make them seem more skilled or impressive when it comes to Pokémon battles (especially since they just throw one attack at each other that collides with the other's). Mallow attempting to use Bloom Doom? She just fails (ironic, considering that she studied how to do the Z-move for school, taught Ash how to do the Z-move and even scolded him for not doing it properly), gets complimented by Kiawe for doing a great job (okaaaay?) and is later taught by Kiawe how to... properly... do... the pose that she already did properly? Honestly, all of the Mallow scenes were confusing and pointless. And then there's the league announcement that was nothing more than silly face fest, with the animators/storyboard artist/writers/whoever make those stupid hyperbolic facial expressions filling that entire scene with nothing more than funny faces, useless information and a reminder that Lana has a weird fetish for buff dudes and buff Pokémon.

Anyways, onto something more positive, it would be criminal of me to not mention the amazing ending of this episode. The constant build up this moment received throughout this episode, the way it was animated and "shot", the reactions from Gladion and his Umbreon, the music, the voice acting (and I'd like to mention that, when it comes to the Pokémon anime, I usually watch the subbed version on mute, but this time, I decide to make an exception, because it was just that dang good)... absolutely everything about this scene is amazing and it just shows that, when the writers actually put they're minds to it, they can make a great story that is on par with those of the other series (to bad they don't often do that). Oh, and I also enjoyed that bonus scene at the end of the Poké Problem. I don't know why, but I really loved Lycanroc's reaction when he witnessed Zoroark transform into Silvally via Illusion (maybe because it looked like a good old normal expression as opposed to the silly faces that get shoved into a huge majority of SM). And horray, we finally see a Dusk Ball being used in the anime. Took them about 12 years, but hey, better late than never.
knowing that MR is the prize match is easily the biggest information about the league

Guys, am I the only who saw dewdong (zoroark)returning to normal before mandibuzz attacked gladion?
Also if that dusk ball wasn't Mohn's (and that's impossible) then Gladion has to know that befiended pokemon won't resist even being caught by a trashball(don't surprise ,it doesn't exist)

Last edited:
Guys, am I the only who saw dewdong (zoroark)returning to normal before mandibuzz attacked gladion?
Also if that dusk ball wasn't Mohn's (and that's impossible) then Gladion has to know that befiended pokemon won't resist even being caught by a trashball(don't surprise ,it doesn't exist)
After. Not before.

I guess Zoroark escaping counted as it being released and thus technically being a wild Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom