• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM129: The Great Fray! Battle Royal 151!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
any credibility that this region and the trainers in it may have had will be shot dead.

Image result for where have you been gif

Seriously though, I don't think all of Ash's classmates will make it to the top 16. Probably just Kiawe, Lillie and Lana: Kiawe because he's the best battler in the cast apart from Ash, Lillie because she has Magearna and has always felt like the main Pokegirl of SuMo to me and I'm biased, and Lana because she always gets given accomplishments for free.

Lillie because she has Magearna and has always felt like the main Pokegirl of SuMo

And I can't shake the suspicion that Snowy will evolve in the episode before this...<_<
(and then any Dragon-types in the League will be SO screwed)

The problem is that Sopho also has to advance, else all the character development regarding battling lately is pointless.
Key word there though is lately. He’s still a rookie as far as battling goes. And even if he does lose, it’s not necessarily rendering it pointless if he has a good showing within the battle.

Sophocles failing to make the Top 16 seems unlikely to me because I think that all of Ash's friends will make it in by sheer luck. But even if Sophocles doesn't do well it wouldn't seem like that big of a deal since we've seen development go to waste so many times before. It's like the norm.

Yeah the Alola league championship is worth less than a bucket of warm piss at this point. Like I get why people may like from perspective of just watching an anime for fun but, from a competition design slash logistics standpoint it's garbage. But you know Wrestling Fans like the Royale Rumble and it doesn't take a Phd to see the issues with that rule set.

Last edited:
Ash, Kiawe, and Sopho are the only classmates who should make it to the top 16.
Replace Soph by Lana and then it’s accurate imo,

Given the use of a battle royal, wonder if we'll see the trainers with Primarina, Decidueye and Machamp
Their sole purpose was to show Incineroar curbstomping Pokemon if equal power so I doubt they'd appear, specially when Lana's promoting Primarina and Hau'll inevitably turn up with a Decidueye.

My Alola League Predictions

I think I'd make it Ash vs Hau and Gladion vs Kiawe, instead of the other way round, and a TR vs TS match seem inevitable.

As much as I like Team Rocket, I can't see James making it past the battle royale since his Mareanie just isn't what I'd consider to be strong. Jessie at least has Wobbuffet which can bounce attacks and Mimikyu which can be a total savage sometimes, but James seems like the weaker battler out of the two.

As much as I like Team Rocket, I can't see James making it past the battle royale since his Mareanie just isn't what I'd consider to be strong. Jessie at least has Wobbuffet which can bounce attacks and Mimikyu which can be a total savage sometimes, but James seems like the weaker battler out of the two.
Is it confirmed that they’re competing separately?
Usually for such competitions they combine resources and compete together. They even perform their Z-Move together! I fully expect them to enter as a single contestant.

Is it confirmed that they’re competing separately?
Usually for such competitions they combine resources and compete together. They even perform their Z-Move together! I fully expect them to enter as a single contestant.

I mean they're two separate people. Even if they enter the tournament together, I really doubt that they'd be allowed into the top 16 as a team. It just wouldn't be fair for everyone else to be fighting on their own during the top 16 round and beyond while Jessie and James form a duo.

Maybe I don't remember well, but have they ever competed as a duo in a previous tournament? Not counting any double battles of course.

I mean they're two separate people. Even if they enter the tournament together, I really doubt that they'd be allowed into the top 16 as a team. It just wouldn't be fair for everyone else to be fighting on their own during the top 16 round and beyond while Jessie and James form a duo.

Maybe I don't remember well, but have they ever competed as a duo in a previous tournament? Not counting any double battles of course.

They haven't, but whenever they compete somewhere they pool in their resources, so whoever does the battling will have both Jessie and James' Pokemon.
And it’s not as if this league cares for fairness and qualifications...

Somehow to me it feels out of character for them to compete solo, specially since Alola is the region of sharing and people (the stadium name literally means 'Sharing' according to the anime), and they always perform a Z move together so...

Battle Royal Pokemon League? I ended up not liking anything about Battle Royal in the games, so I'm not going to spend any time with a battle royal league in the anime.

Last edited:
I
It's fortnite battle royale not SM's battle royale
That’s actually even worse. Now had the preliminaries been the Battle Royal style they’d shown in the anime and games, that could have been something unique to give some credibility to but if it’s just a full on battle royal with all these trainers, it’s gonna be awful from the pure chaos alone.

I attached an "e" at the end of "battle royal", honest mistake. That said, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

This is the feature I am referencing that I did not enjoy in the games: Battle Royal - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

He's saying that the battle royal here isn't the same thing as the battle royal in the games. This is a literal free-for-all between the 151 competing trainers all fighting at the same time, not just a match between 4 trainers at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom