• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM129: The Great Fray! Battle Royal 151!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logic? In my SuMo?

Related image

Can Ilima just get wrecked by Guzma or Misty the Gyarados trainer here?

It's fan's logic: "those who are not experienced in battles can not take part there". ;)

No, that's common sense. People who are inexperienced in a field aren't supposed to participate in a competition designed to test the best and most experienced people in that particular field!

It's the kriffing reason why you don't see everyday Joes competing in the Olympics! Because they have some standards and the participants are supposed to meet some kind of requirement and/or qualification! The same should apply to a Pokémon league!

It's a joke only by fan standards. :p

Well, at least some fans actually have standards, unlike the writers, who have completely given up on even trying to have a normal, respectable league. Guess silly faces and Teen Titans GO!-levels of comedy are more important than having a proper Pokemon League Conference.

Well, at least some fans actually have standards, unlike the writers, who have completely given up on even trying to have a normal, respectable league.
To create normal league there should be base for it. It's quite logical to have free entrance for region which acquianted with battle concept mostly by Battle Royal matches (which looks to be open for all as well), and even Island challenges are more like rituals and not regular battles for Champion title.
But since the show is oriented for kids, it could be a bit complicated to explain this directly, so it is presented as given.

To create normal league there should be base for it. It's quite logical to have free entrance for region which acquianted with battle concept mostly by Battle Royal matches (which looks to be open for all as well), and even Island challenges are more like rituals and not regular battles for Champion title.
But since the show is oriented for kids, it could be a bit complicated to explain this directly, so it is presented as given.
Thing is it's going to be compared to older leagues and from the line up, this isn't going to be close to them.

Except even the anime presented that, while Alola didn’t have a league, they did used to have something of a proving grounds for those who completed the Island Trials so Alola may be small but to the point of not having gyms or a league but they’re not without a battle element of their own.

I believe that this characteristic of not having gyms in Alola is significantly important to consider this region different from the others. In the anime, in fact, battles are less frequent, but this did not stop Ash and his friends from training - albeit at a slower pace compared to previous sagas - and challenging the Pokémon Totem and Kahuna, which shows that the inhabitants of this region have developed other ways of creating linkages between coach and pokémon without necessarily being challenged by a gym leader. Perhaps many people were frustrated with the absence of the gyms in Alola and happy with their return in Galar, but I will miss this differential. As for anime, simplicity and creativity against repetitive formulas has been something interesting for me, and since this is Alola's first league, I do not mind the unpreparedness of many of the participants. On the contrary, I am curious as to how these episodes will develop (after all, nothing new has been published about the episodes since SM130, but a new ending theme, which is actually a re-recording of one of the endings of the original series).

I believe that this characteristic of not having gyms in Alola is significantly important to consider this region different from the others. In the anime, in fact, battles are less frequent, but this did not stop Ash and his friends from training - albeit at a slower pace compared to previous sagas - and challenging the Pokémon Totem and Kahuna, which shows that the inhabitants of this region have developed other ways of creating linkages between coach and pokémon without necessarily being challenged by a gym leader. Perhaps many people were frustrated with the absence of the gyms in Alola and happy with their return in Galar, but I will miss this differential. As for anime, simplicity and creativity against repetitive formulas has been something interesting for me, and since this is Alola's first league, I do not mind the unpreparedness of many of the participants. On the contrary, I am curious as to how these episodes will develop (after all, nothing new has been published about the episodes since SM130, but a new ending theme, which is actually a re-recording of one of the endings of the original series).
Just because its new and different doesn't mean its good.

Just because its new and different doesn't mean its good.
I agree! If the gyms had continued, but with the anime innovating in the strategies and the path of the protagonists until the end of the saga, I would like it enough. But the fact is that I really enjoyed the trials and the fact that there was no league in Alola until then. So, I'm happy with the way the events followed and I have good expectations for the end of SM and the beginning of SwSh, which I believe is inevitable to return to the old formula of the trip with two companions (which I also like, but when well made, as in DP)!

Oh god. I just barely noticed that Junichi Fujisaku's writing this... the same guy that gave us last week's glorious mess, that episode where they just handed Pikachu the Deus ex Machina crystal against Mimikyu and the abysmal end to the island trials where they splashed Mudsdale.

Thing is, as @Kurolegacy pointed out, we already had a "base" for it, in the form of the Island Trials. They were supposed to be Alola's counterpart to the other regions' Gyms, testing the strength, skill and ingenuity of a trainer, as well as whether or not they are worthy of using a specific Z-move (and the anime crew pushing them so far in the background that you sometimes even forget they exist doesn't change that). Heck, even the kahunas alluded to the Island Challenge playing a role in the league, when Olivia said that the Alola League was a revival of the long lost tradition of having those who completed their Island Challenge battle each other on the base of Mount Lanakila (just like how trainers who collected 8 badges would battle each other Pokémon League). But I guess that the writers just wanted to have another meaningless reference to the games, rather than doing something with it.

Thing is, as @Kurolegacy pointed out, we already had a "base" for it, in the form of the Island Trials. They were supposed to be Alola's counterpart to the other regions' Gyms, testing the strength, skill and ingenuity of a trainer, as well as whether or not they are worthy of using a specific Z-move (and the anime crew pushing them so far in the background that you sometimes even forget they exist doesn't change that). Heck, even the kahunas alluded to the Island Challenge playing a role in the league, when Olivia said that the Alola League was a revival of the long lost tradition of having those who completed their Island Challenge battle each other on the base of Mount Lanakila (just like how trainers who collected 8 badges would battle each other Pokémon League). But I guess that the writers just wanted to have another meaningless reference to the games, rather than doing something with it.
You are mostly right, especially in mentioning battles between challengers as the local long lost tradition. The only difference is that currently Trials are supposed to be individual tests for each participant, not just a common qualification for larger challenge.

Oh god. I just barely noticed that Junichi Fujisaku's writing this... the same guy that gave us last week's glorious mess, that episode where they just handed Pikachu the Deus ex Machina crystal against Mimikyu and the abysmal end to the island trials where they splashed Mudsdale.
My most hated episodes of this series were written by a single person and that one person is writing this? I'm beginning to lose hope for this episode, specially since Pikachu is being used. Maybe a Pikashunium Z which blasts all the participants in Ash's battle Royal group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom