• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview SM130: Mao and Suiren! Super Full-Force Friendship Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so dumb. This isn't even really a league tournament then if that is the case. League tournaments must have qualification requirements that has been a rule since the start of the series. This is just some random tournament.
Alola League was just founded. Cut it some slack. Besides, Kukui wanted to create a League for everyone to enjoy. Free entry was kinda the whole point.
No thanks. I can do without more Deux Ex Machina. We’ve already had Spiky Shield for randomly learnt moves.
Sophocles seems to be the master of off-screen move learnings, since besides Spiky Shield for Togedemaru, he also had Vikavolt learn two new moves off-screen.

Alola League was just founded. Cut it some slack. Besides, Kukui wanted to create a League for everyone to enjoy. Free entry was kinda the whole point.
Then, as a fan of the Pokémon League, he’s really doing it no justice and creating something that’s an insult to the concept. The Pokémon League is meant to be the proving ground for the best of the trainers currently in a region. It’s something to aspire for and test the growth as a trainer from collecting the badges, not just some funzies tournament. Kakui’s version is like downgrading the World Series to a little league tournament but still calling it the World Series. At very least, a requirement to enter should have been completing a Grand Trial. At least then you’ve proven yourself to a kahuna rather than being fresh off the boat competing in a league.

Then, as a fan of the Pokémon League, he’s really doing it no justice and creating something that’s an insult to the concept. The Pokémon League is meant to be the proving ground for the best of the trainers currently in a region. It’s something to aspire for and test the growth as a trainer from collecting the badges, not just some funzies tournament. Kakui’s version is like downgrading the World Series to a little league tournament but still calling it the World Series. At very least, a requirement to enter should have been completing a Grand Trial. At least then you’ve proven yourself to a kahuna rather than being fresh off the boat competing in a league.
We're not ones to decide those things.

We as the fandom are however ones to have opinions on how things are handled. We may not be the writers but doesn’t mean we can’t voice our enjoyment or displeasure.
Maybe, but I don't mind this. It's something different and nice to see for a change. Galar is also looking to adjust the League format someway, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Maybe, but I don't mind this. It's something different and nice to see for a change. Galar is also looking to adjust the League format someway, so I'm looking forward to that as well.
You’re perfectly fine with your enjoyment of how they handle this league as fandoms are allowed differences in opinion. I’m personally not a fan of how they’re handling it this time around as I find them throwing so many people we know are relatively weak trainers compared to the usual skilled league battlers who fought their way there makes this league feel much lower in stakes and less enjoyable as a result especially with them having 1 on 1 battles as far in as the top 16.

Sigh... I feel like that whoever wins here, someone is going to be upset. If Lana wins, people will complain about a predictable win and the "writers' favorite" winning. If Mallow wins, people will complain about the more inexperienced battler winning against a more experienced one.
Dual-knockout so they're "equal" in terms of skill and neither lose face, and that's one less battle they have to animate going forward

Dual-knockout so they're "equal" in terms of skill and neither lose face, and that's one less battle they have to animate going forward
Pokemon Leagues can be terrible, true, but they're still not terrible as Chūnin Exams.

Pokemon Leagues can be terrible, true, but they're still not terrible as Chūnin Exams.

I beg to differ. Judging from the ones in the original source material, the Chunin Exams at least involved tactics and actually had pretty intense fights, not to mention all the minor subplots and character development that were involved in the Chunin Exam arc. The only downside to them is that none of the ones that were fully shown on-screen had a conclusion, but that's their only major flaw imo. The Pokemon Leagues look like **** by comparison tbfh.

I beg to differ. Judging from the ones in the original source material, the Chunin Exams at least involved tactics and actually had pretty intense fights, not to mention all the minor subplots and character development that were involved in the Chunin Exam arc. The only downside to them is that none of the ones that were fully shown on-screen had a conclusion, but that's their only major flaw imo. The Pokemon Leagues look like **** by comparison tbfh.
Pretty sure Naruto vs Neiji and Shikamaru vs Temari had conclusions (a forfeit is still a conclusion)

Pretty sure Naruto vs Neiji and Shikamaru vs Temari had conclusions (a forfeit is still a conclusion)

I was referring to the fact that that Chunin Exam's third round was interrupted and the tournament never had an actual winner. The exam from the Boruto manga and anime was also interrupted iirc.

Speaking of that, I'd laugh if Guzma loses here and then plans some big revenge scheme that'll interrupt the Alola league before it can conclude.

I beg to differ. Judging from the ones in the original source material, the Chunin Exams at least involved tactics and actually had pretty intense fights, not to mention all the minor subplots and character development that were involved in the Chunin Exam arc
Ino should've won that match, Sakura freed herself by willing, basically a deus ex machina. Eliminating both of them was one of the most contrived anime tournament decisions ever. Their exam also give us no real reason for their "break up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom