• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM130: Mao and Suiren! Super Full-Force Friendship Battle!!

Something I forgot to say, but lots of Kalos music in the episode. And that battle screen that also comes from XY (not sure if it's used before in SM, I've only watched the first 15 episodes)

I was more impressed by Guzma's battle than Mao and Suiren's. The latter had its moments, though.

I really love both of them and really happy for Mao and Suiren. I liked lana wjeb she talked with Mallow and made Mallow remember her caring about the pokekons and others with remembering her about how she akways do her best with her pokemons in everything

Yeah. And it's also nice to see Primarina using Icy Wind.
It’s disappointing to see moves pop up out of nowhere when they’re convenient though. Happened literally in the previous episode, and now this one too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the quarterfinals were 2 on 2. Although, James only has one... Maybe the 1 on 1 matches continue to the semifinals?
James could borrow one of Jessie's Pokémon,

That’s the question I asked myself. It isn’t really good writing if your characters get goodies off screen every episode.
And really what makes it worse is that it’s used as a means so that Tsareena couldn’t get a single hit in. Wouldn’t it be more impressive from Lana’s side if she was able to pull out the win in spite of type disadvantage with pure tactics rather than convenience of just pulling a new move out of her ass?

And really what makes it worse is that it’s used as a means so that Tsareena couldn’t get a single hit in. Wouldn’t it be more impressive from Lana’s side if she was able to pull out the win in spite of type disadvantage with pure tactics rather than convenience of just pulling a new move out of her ass?
It wasn't just the new move that let her win. She was dominating the battle even before and after she used Icy Wind.

It wasn't just the new move that let her win. She was dominating the battle even before and after she used Icy Wind.
That move did however prevent Mallow from landing any hits on Primarina as it came out of nowhere and limited Tsareena’s ability to get in close combatwise. Now had Lana come up with a counter based on what she had, hell even using her specialty of bubbles which she developed through S&M, fine. But don’t pull a new move out of her ass that just so happens to be the weakness of her opponent this week.

That move did however prevent Mallow from landing any hits on Primarina as it came out of nowhere and limited Tsareena’s ability to get in close combatwise. Now had Lana come up with a counter based on what she had, hell even using her specialty of bubbles which she developed through S&M, fine. But don’t pull a new move out of her ass that just so happens to be the weakness of her opponent this week.
Main character Pokémon have unceremoniously learned new, sometimes even important moves for a since the series started. This is nothing new.

Also, Mallow didn't hesitate to try close combat again, despite knowing of Icy Wind.

Main character Pokémon have unceremoniously learned new, sometimes even important moves for a since the series started. This is nothing new.

Also, Mallow didn't hesitate to try close combat again, despite knowing of Icy Wind.
This was an occurrence in Kanto, back when they couldn’t even be bothered to do proper battles half the time. As the series progressed, Pokémon would be shown learning new moves or even how they came about gaining them especially when it came to the main cast. The only point it was excusable that a Pokémon learned a new move offscreen was when it came to a reserve as these Pokemon tended to train while at Oak’s lab as opposed to just doing nothing. Sun and Moon brought back the laziness of just pulling a new move out of their ass which frankly is inexcusable considering not only did they have plenty of time to present actual development of the Pokémon onscreen given all the episodes that they had up til now but these are Pokémon that we see all the time through the series. There is no excuse to just pull a move out of their ass for plot convenience.

Don't have time for a proper review (again), so here are some more random thoughts of mine regarding an episode. (I guess you could say The Random Thoughts Strike Back)... Anyways:
  • The Ash vs Faba battle was nothing more than a joke. Because of course it had to be a joke. Arceus forbid that we have one battle-centric episode that doesn't involve SM's distinct comedy.
  • Why did Faba choose to fight against Meltan? I know that he tries to rationalize it by saying the it's obviously Ash's weakest Pokémon, but how come he never once considered that "Yeah, using my metal-wielding Psychic-types against a metal-eating thing isn't such a great idea" (considering that he's supposed to be a scientist (who are, you know, smart people) and all). Especially since he even saw it eating a bunch of metal nuts, screws and bolts.
  • I'm really getting tired of Meltan's whole "Eating metal stuff that you're not supposed to" gag. When it first appeared, I was really hopeful that the writers would actually try to develop it as a character that's trying to adapt to a strange, new world and learn that he's isn't supposed to eat anything made of metal and learn to coexist with Pokémon the it's species would consider "food" and learn to listen to its trainer and all that (since it wasn't shown to have as big of an obsession over metal "food" as his brethren). Oh, how foolish I was. Instead of doing that, the writers turned it and it's appetite for metal into a running gag, a joke that keeps on being played over and over every time this character finds anything metal like a broken record. And the fact that this gag is what, in the end, gave Ash the win (along with Meltan one-shotting his opponents (after having an entire episode dedicated to people one-shotting opponents left and right))? Geez, I know people compare this series' writing with that of the OG series, but this is a whole new level of... wow.
  • The Guzma vs Ilima battle was by far the best in the episode. Guzma using dirty tactics in order to win at any cost was refreshing and very in-character for him. We finally got to see a Trainer-owned Kangaskhan used in battle (which, corect me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the first time we've seen this happen in the entirety of the anime), not to mention the debut of Mega Kangaskhan. Mr. Favorite was finally lost in a competition on-screen. My only complain would be that there were way too many reused animations/still shots in somewhat of a quick succession, which makes it a little to noticeable for my taste, but whatever. It could've been worse.
  • (Quick tangent) Speaking of Mega Evolution, something I really don't like about the new ME animation is the fact that the Pokémon's Mega Stones suddenly materialize out of nowhere whenever it is used (thankfully it isn't that noticeable in this episode, but I still feel like talking about this since I never got the chance to do it before). It just makes it feel artificial and unnatural and, personally, I more so preferred the rout XY took, where they gave each of the ME-capable Pokémon accessories. That, at least, made the Pokémon look more unique and distinguished, while also offering a more reasonable explanation as the where the Mega Stone is (since Mega Stones are held items in the games and held items aren't exactly... held in the anime). But now, it's just feels and looks... weird. Like, it's very hard to explain, but, the way they're doing it now... it just... it just feels wrong to me.
  • The Hau vs Samson Oak match was nothing more of a joke. Because of course it had to be a joke. I can't even count Dragon Hammer being used as a positive, since the move looks extremely bland and dull compared to what it looks in the games (not to mention the it's supposed to be powerful, yet it doesn't look like that in the episode). At least we're free of Samson Oak's stupid and nonsensical Pokémon impressions for the of the League (maybe... hopefully... please).
  • Also, is it just me or is Hau animated differently than all of the other characters in this episode? Because I really found his movements to be rather jarring compared to everyone else. It felt like I was somehow watching him move at a slower speed and a higher speed, both at the same time. Again, hard to explain, but he just moved very... weirdly.
  • As for the main event... the Mallow vs Lana match was ok, I guess? Nothing to spectacular. The battle didn't look as great as others from past Leagues. Barely any strategies were used during the match. The only interesting things that happened were that Lana used her Z-move in order to protect Primarina from Mallow's Z-move (with it culminating in a combination of Oceanic Operetta's rain and Bloom Doom's flower field, which was kind of nice) and the fact that Tsareena refused to give up, even after Mallow tried to call it back. I really love the fact that, even after being sidelined ever since that gross piece of walking merchandise appeared, even after being left behind during the Malie City two-parter, even after being mostly forgotten by her own trainer for a majority of this year, even after all that, she still continued to do her best and push on in order to make her trainer proud. Also, the fact that Mallow decided to forfeit after seeing her Pokémon hurt just goes to show how unprepared she was for the League, both mentally and in terms of strength, which in turn shows that she had no place in the League.

Ash vs Faba was disappointing. I understand why they did it like that, but cutting off the "Ash wanted to use Pikachu but was forced to use Meltan!" drama would have allowed for more direct hits.

Ilima vs Guzma felt ok when I watched it, but on retrospection it may be one of the best SM battles so far. It had a very interesting strategy and good pacing, and made me care more about Mega Kangaskhan. I'm surprised that not much people commented on his surprising loss, but being honest his character doesn't deserve it, he didn't even show any strong emotion at being defeated.

Mallow vs Lana gives me mixed feelings. I liked that they attempted to give some development to Mallow, but her trying to give up make me feel she was out-of-character. She has been shown as someone who goes to great lengths to satisfy people (SM039), someone who hides her negative feelings (SM108) and someone who doesn't mind being involved in dirty fights (SM083), nervousness shouldn't have thrown all of that away. It would have made more sense with Lillie or Sophocles, who pamper their Pokemon a lot and are somewhat pampered themselves. The rest of the battle was good, but I'd really have liked for Mallow to accomplish something else than master her Z-move.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom