• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM130: Mao and Suiren! Super Full-Force Friendship Battle!!

Lana, the creator's pet won. What a load of steaming hot garbage -_-
Did you seriously think Mao could win? Even if Mao was the favorite the only thing in her favor is the type match up, which in the anime isn't necessarily irrelevant, but it's less important than stuff like actual experience and creativity/strategy.

Lana, the creator's pet won. What a load of steaming hot garbage -_-
Someone must really consider Lana as a scrappy. Piplup was given more favorism by the writers during DP, even right up to not letting him evolve because they considered his evolutions "ugly".

At this point, I wouldn't consider Lana as a creator's pet. She has a good chance of being eliminated from the league in the next round, therefore, keeping the status quo of females never winning their goals either. But still, as a temporary character who the writers will permanently forget about by around Christmas, she still has a very low chance of winning.

Hopefully ROund 2 isn't 1 v 1 battling.

I am pretty sure it is, since Lana and Jessie only have 2 Pokemon (While James has only one). I think semi's and final is 3v3, so they can eliminate characters with only 2, while Guzma, Ash, Gladion and Kiawe advance. Ash, Gladion and Kiawe have 3 Pokemon each and while we haven't seen Guzma's third yet, he also has Scizor and Golisopod in the game, so we might see Masquerain as well, since it seems his third mon in the games, as Ariados and Pinsir are interchangeable.

I am pretty sure it is, since Lana and Jessie only have 2 Pokemon (While James has only one). I think semi's and final is 3v3, so they can eliminate characters with only 2, while Guzma, Ash, Gladion and Kiawe advance. Ash, Gladion and Kiawe have 3 Pokemon each and while we haven't seen Guzma's third yet, he also has Scizor and Golisopod in the game, so we might see Masquerain as well, since it seems his third mon in the games, as Ariados and Pinsir are interchangeable.
They could definitely let Lana use her Lapras, which we know at least knows Ice Beam. As for the TRio I can definitely see them combining their teams after either one is kicked out next episode. I'm a bit on the fence on whether top 8 should be more than 1v1s, though, since that's still 4 battles to show, and we're likely not skipping any of them. Beyond top 4 it's only 3 battles + the exhibition battle (that could very well happen a few weeks after the league, so having episode long battles would make more sense then. (Unless we're getting 3+ months of the league).

Well, at least the Illima vs Guzma battle didn't consist of Eevee getting one-shot by Scizor, and Illima's fangirls bursting into tears while Guzma insults him.

"You're the weakest. The weakest person I've ever fought, and that lightweight Eevee is just like you."

This episode definitely had some good moments. Mallow and Lana's battle was pretty good, and I did enjoy Ya Boy Guzma's battle against Ilima. Ash vs Faba was disappointing though, especially since it was treated as a joke. It was actually a pretty good episode though.

As Ash appears to be battling Guzma, Gladion and Hau, characters who aren't jokes, those battles should be better

That episode was so emotional. Classmates Lana and Mallow battled for the friendship, which caused Lana to win. Also, this marked the first time of Mega Kangaskhan since an introduction of Mega Evolution in 2013. I give this episode an A.

I must say, I love Guzma’s portrayal in the anime. While in the games he’s become mostly a meme cow, here he actually feels threatening and a competent and ruthless battler. Studying Ilima’s battling style, speeding up with Agility and using the baby as a meat shield to get an opening was all so satisfying to watch (though not as much as seeing those annoying bitches crying in the crowd...)

I must say, I love Guzma’s portrayal in the anime. While in the games he’s become mostly a meme cow, here he actually feels threatening and a competent and ruthless battler. Studying Ilima’s battling style, speeding up with Agility and using the baby as a meat shield to get an opening was all so satisfying to watch (though not as much as seeing those annoying bitches crying in the crowd...)

One thing I've said that SM does well is using Pokedex entry material and using it form the basis of behavior. Though I do agree it was a nice show of intelligence off a thuggish exterior. Sort of reminds me a bit of how Bakugou is often shown.

I wonder why there wasn't a Dare Da? segment in this episode. They show Pokemon Go cards segment over it.

Last edited:
Lana defeats Mallow

Image result for pretends to be shocked gif

The match was absolute Tauros crap regardless of who won, but it further reinforced what I've been saying for ages: the writers shill Lana almost as much as they shill Ilima, although in this episode Ilima's luck finally ran out and he lost. I guess his check didn't clear? Thank God for Guzma though.

Well... This battle made me actually root for Tsareena. Not Mallow or Lana, but Tsareena. I don’t have subs yet, but on having a bad start Mallow actually tried to forfeit? The battle was very emotional, and the Z-Move clash looked nice. I was hoping they’d combine the flowers of bloom soon and the rain of Oceanic Operetta. This episode made me sway towards Mallow winning just for the sheer determination Tsareena displayed. Makes me wish we'd see it more. It was definitely the star of the episode compared to Mallow or Lana.

Lana felt a bit too powerful but I haven’t seen her episodes enough to gauge her strength much. Icy Wind out of nowhere was annoying. I wish the match had a bit more strategy from Mallow's side with the emotional factor, since the entire battle itself was full of the same move clashes, with Lana steamrolling Mallow.

Faba forcefully calling Meltan to battle, and it being actually allowed is something that reminds me of the OS days, not in a good way. I guess Faba isn’t that clever if he chose Meltan as his opponent of all things, while seeing it eat metal.

Guzma vs Ilima was great! The strategy of using the baby as a not-so-blatant block was good. The baby being sad on seeing it’s mother hurt made me sad, too. That’s why I'm generally iffy when it comes to Mega Kangaskhan battling in the anime. I liked how Team Skull tried to counter the annoying girl cheer for Ilima. It was nice to see '''''favourite''''' Ilima eliminated.

Raichu vs Exeggutor was a nice breather. I wish Raichu uses psychic moves or its Z-Move though. It was nice seeing Raichu defeat an opponent for once.

Overall nice episode. Lana vs Mallow had its faults, but I don’t think there's really a good way to do that battle.

The subs are already out, and I just finished watching them. Mallow was just trying to be considerate and not let Tsareena get hurt too much, but Tsareena wanted to keep on fighting on Mallow's side.
I guessed that it might be the reason. Doesn’t really change things much for me. Battling’s not really for Mallow, and she shouldn’t really have entered if she couldn’t tolerate Tsareena getting even the slightest bit injured.

I guessed that it might be the reason. Doesn’t really change things much for me. Battling’s not really for Mallow, and she shouldn’t really have entered if she couldn’t tolerate Tsareena getting even the slightest bit injured.
At least she got the satisfaction of fighting till the end and using a Z-Move.

I think this episode was the best it could have been.

Ash v Faba was a bit short and gaggy, but had to be that way for one battle considering they showed three battles start to finish.

Ilima v Guzma was obviously the second most important battle (by the episode’s standards) but I thought it was pretty decent. First time we’ve ever seen a Kangaskhan exit a Poke Ball- just with the baby all casual. I liked that the energy from Ilima’s key stone only went to the baby. Super cool to see Mega Kangaskhan in the anime!

Hau v Oak was decent too! I don’t mind that we didn’t see it start-to-finish. We didn’t need to see Oak getting a ton of focus.

Mallow v Lana was great, I really like the character of Mallow- preforming her Z Move with Tsareena was very sweet. Lana won as expected and rightfully so.

That said, too many reused animation shots- I can’t remember it being so bad for that in a while.

Not a complaint but seen as Plumeria, Faba and Hau haven’t shown of the Z Moves we thought they might, I’ve doubts whether or not we’ll see Mina and Acerola using Z-Moves.

At least she got the satisfaction of fighting till the end and using a Z-Move.
Yeah, that’s why Tsareena is my favourite part of the battle. It motivated Mallow as well as put up a fight against Primarina. The sequence of their Z-Move is up there with the TRio's Z-Moves (as one entity) as one of the better Z Move animations.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom