• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM132: Overcome Junaiper!

Last edited:
It baffles me how TRio were written so much better in this one episode alone compared to a """"focus""""" episode and actually felt like characters of substance again, with the opening scene before the battle with James and Mareanie being a great example of that. Jessie handing James a drink at the end of the battle made my Rocketshipping heart fill with glee!

The fact they managed to grab Rowlet's family from over 100 episodes and bring them back into the league is going to make me miss this show and it's great continuity, hope it carries onto SS

James vs. Gladion was alright even if the outcome was obvious, though I do wish Lycanroc could've at least taken a hit to show it wasn't just completely one sided. The awkward cutaway to Rowlet training at the middle of the match also made me feel less invested in the match

Not going to fully judge Ash vs. Hau yet because the battle hasnt finished, but it looks like plot armor has already gone in effect and makes me wonder if Ash is even going to have any good battles this league

OVERALL SCORE:
6.7/10

- Gladion’s battle with James was alright, obviously him facing James is the biggest mismatch ever so I’m glad they got that battle over with ASAP since we knew who was going to win it! Nobody seemed to be really invested in their battle, it showed when they cut the battle midway to show Rowlet training

- I don’t think Maraenie even hit Lycanroc once! Gladion seemed to be unusually calm and laid back against James, hopefully his potential battle against Ash gives him some fire to battle hard as his competition has been subpar so far..

- Gladion’s strategy of using his Continental Crush to counter Black Hole Eclipse was something we’ve seen before and Nanu having flashbacks to his Grand Trial with Ash’s Lycanroc was nice to see that the old guy may be a lazy pain in the butt sometimes but he recognizes good battle strategy and is a worthy Kahuna!

- Rowlet telling that Wingull to bring its family to Manalo Stadium was perfect, I guess Pikachu isn’t the only one that can imitate other Pokémon lol..

- I guess even Pokémon need family support sometimes, it's great continuity to show and it keeps the timeline of the series accurate.. I’m wondering where Ash’s mother and Professor Oak are? Are they ever going to come to Alola to cheer Ash on? Hopefully we see them at some point during the league..

- We didn’t get to see it master FeatherDance in this episode as it was already time to battle, I guess it will probably use it in the next episode to get out of a tough situation and limit damage from Hau’s attacks!

- His classmates were being realistic about how Rowlet is at a massive disadvantage considering that it’s facing a fully evolved Pokémon and he should’ve used a Fire type instead but Ash and Rowlet have good faith in each other its desire to beat its rival will trump any disadvantages it may have!

- Considering that the title of next week’s episode is “Brave Bird vs Sky Attack” I’m not surprised that both Ash and Hau went for the Z-Move the first chance they got, personally think that’s bad strategy but it’s gonna make next week’s episode that more interesting now..

- I have no doubt that Ash will beat Hau as him losing would be redundant to the series, he still needs to have a battle with Gladion and Guzma and the fact that he’s destined to face the Masked Royal is telling me that whatever happens he won’t lose

- As for the other battle taking place next week, the preview shows Kiawe and Charizard up against Sophocles and his Vikavolt. Both Pokémon have moves that give it an advantage over the other, Kiawe will win imo but Sophocles will go down swinging..

- Even if chubby cheeks is my least favorite character in Pokémon ever with the exception of Max the brat, I respect the fact that he has a super strong Pokémon with him, he’s gonna be having fun facing Kiawe and I think he’ll get over his nerves that he had in his last battle..

- I’m surprised that they aren’t going to rush Lana’s battle against Guzma and are actually going to dedicate a full episode to their battle, I’m honestly looking forward to see how this battle will be portrayed..

- Lana’s battle with Guzma wasn’t there in the preview for the upcoming episode.. I think that new episode titles will be released this week, so that we can get an idea of what could happen over the next few episodes especially with Guzma..

- I just wish that they quit with the single battles next round and make it more difficult as all of the lousy trainers are eliminated at that point, let’s see at least a 3vs3 battle, is that so hard?

I give this episode a 7/10 rating

Last edited:
wow, this episode was so intense as Hau vs Ash began the 1v1 battle as continues next week. Oh I'm wondering that Rowlet evolves into Dartrix next episode.

Gladion's battle against James (Team Rocket) was okay as Gladion defeated with Midnight Lycanroc's Stone Edge.

I give this episode a B+.

That Wingull intro is going to make it into /r/pokemon somehow. A true work of animation!
Unlike some out there. x)

I would be so much more invested in Ash vs Hau if Hau had shown up more often and given me a reason to actually care about his character. Sigh. Rowlet vs Decidueye looks really lame so far; it was like watching someone toss a plushie around. At least Rowlet lost that stupid costume at the end.

- Gladion’s battle with James was alright, obviously him facing James is the biggest mismatch ever so I’m glad they got that battle over with ASAP since we knew who was going to win it! Nobody seemed to be really invested in their battle, it showed when they cut the battle midway to show Rowlet training

- I don’t think Maraenie even hit Lycanroc once! Gladion seemed to be unusually calm and laid back against James, hopefully his potential battle against Ash gives him some fire to battle hard as his competition has been subpar so far..

- Gladion’s strategy of using his Continental Crush to counter Black Hole Eclipse was something we’ve seen before and Nanu having flashbacks to his Grand Trial with Ash’s Lycanroc was nice to see that the old guy may be a lazy pain in the butt sometimes but he recognizes good battle strategy and is a worthy Kahuna!

- Rowlet telling that Wingull to bring its family to Manalo Stadium was perfect, I guess Pikachu isn’t the only one that can imitate other Pokémon lol..

- I guess even Pokémon need family support sometimes, it's great continuity to show and it keeps the timeline of the series accurate.. I’m wondering where Ash’s mother and Professor Oak are? Are they ever going to come to Alola to cheer Ash on? Hopefully we see them at some point during the league..

- We didn’t get to see it master FeatherDance in this episode as it was already time to battle, I guess it will probably use it in the next episode to get out of a tough situation and limit damage from Hau’s attacks!

- His classmates were being realistic about how Rowlet is at a massive disadvantage considering that it’s facing a fully evolved Pokémon and he should’ve used a Fire type instead but Ash and Rowlet have good faith in each other its desire to beat its rival will trump any disadvantages it may have!

- Considering that the title of next week’s episode is “Brave Bird vs Sky Attack” I’m not surprised that both Ash and Hau went for the Z-Move the first chance they got, personally think that’s bad strategy but it’s gonna make next week’s episode that more interesting now..

- I have no doubt that Ash will beat Hau as him losing would be redundant to the series, he still needs to have a battle with Gladion and Guzma and the fact that he’s destined to face the Masked Royal is telling me that whatever happens he won’t lose

- As for the other battle taking place next week, the preview shows Kiawe and Charizard up against Sophocles and his Vikavolt. Both Pokémon have moves that give it an advantage over the other, Kiawe will win imo but Sophocles will go down swinging..

- Even if chubby cheeks is my least favorite character in Pokémon ever with the exception of Max the brat, I respect the fact that he has a super strong Pokémon with him, he’s gonna be having fun facing Kiawe and I think he’ll get over his nerves that he had in his last battle..

- I’m surprised that they aren’t going to rush Lana’s battle against Guzma and are actually going to dedicate a full episode to their battle, I’m honestly looking forward to see how this battle will be portrayed..

- Lana’s battle with Guzma wasn’t there in the preview for the upcoming episode.. I think that new episode titles will be released this week, so that we can get an idea of what could happen over the next few episodes especially with Guzma..

- I just wish that they quit with the single battles next round and make it more difficult as all of the lousy trainers are eliminated at that point, let’s see at least a 3vs3 battle, is that so hard?

I give this episode a 7/10 rating
I really hope that they’re not trying to devote an entire episode to Lana vs Guzma. Not only is it a 1 v 1 battle, which just doesn’t hold enough substance to fill an entire episode without stretching it to ridiculous degrees but Guzma made relatively quick work of Illima and he’s a league battler like Ash and Kiawe. Lana lasting longer against Guzma when she’s a rookie would just be ridiculous and point even more towards writer favoritism.

I really hope that they’re not trying to devote an entire episode to Lana vs Guzma. Not only is it a 1 v 1 battle, which just doesn’t hold enough substance to fill an entire episode without stretching it to ridiculous degrees but Guzma made relatively quick work of Illima and he’s a league battler like Ash and Kiawe. Lana lasting longer against Guzma when she’s a rookie would just be ridiculous and point even more towards writer favoritism.
I don't see it taking the entire episode either. I just wonder what the rest of the episode is going to consist of. Hopefully at least one Top 4 battle.

I don't see it taking the entire episode either. I just wonder what the rest of the episode is going to consist of. Hopefully at least one Top 4 battle.
In this case, depending on what style of battle they’re going with for the top 4, the usual league strategizing and socializing, with the classmates congratulating Ash and Kiawe on making it this far, most likely with the episode ending on the beginning of the semifinal battles.

In this case, depending on what style of battle they’re going with for the top 4, the usual league strategizing and socializing, with the classmates congratulating Ash and Kiawe on making it this far, most likely with the episode ending on the beginning of the semifinal battles.
And given that all semifinalists have at least three Pokémon (there's practically no doubt that Kiawe will beat Sophocles), so I could see the semifinals being 3-vs-3 battles.

im curious what Pokémon Guzma will use
We know he has Scizzor, Water/Bug pokemon And I guess pincer

Ash vs Gladion
Pikachu
Lycanroc
Torrkat

Gladion
Ultra beast fighter
Lycanroc
Zoroak

Here's me back with a little something I just finished. I've made a challenge about drawing something quick every sunday until the League finishes. This week I couldn't help myself and I made a fan art about the little cash grab cosplaying bird to share it with you.

Ps. It is actually permited to post fan art in these threads or have we a dedicated one? XD I'm new, so I don't know. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_112147_351.jpg
    IMG_20190728_112147_351.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 57
Here's me back with a little something I just finished. I've made a challenge about drawing something quick every sunday until the League finishes. This week I couldn't help myself and I made a fan art about the little cash grab cosplaying bird to share it with you.

Ps. It is actually permited to post fan art in these threads or have we a dedicated one? XD I'm new, so I don't know. Haha
10€ bet this design will become a plush sooner or later.

Not a bad episode but I'm sorta done with those 1vs1 battles. Hoping this round would be at least 2vs2, and no... Going this way I don't doubt the finals will be 1vs1 too.

Btw this is the only league, as far as I remember, that's taking place entirely in a single day, and I don't like it as well. Not much time for strategy or, Idk, showing what're the league installations or character interactions, it's just match after match. Reminds me of those Martial Arts World Tournaments in Dragon Ball, which is also a day only.

Btw this is the only league, as far as I remember, that's taking place entirely in a single day, and I don't like it as well. Not much time for strategy or, Idk, showing what're the league installations or character interactions, it's just match after match. Reminds me of those Martial Arts World Tournaments in Dragon Ball, which is also a day only.
This is not true. I can understand how it feels that way, but the Battle Royal episode ended at sunset. As did the scene of Rowlet talking to Wingull after the first round. Each round has been on a different day so far.

This is not true. I can understand how it feels that way, but the Battle Royal episode ended at sunset. As did the scene of Rowlet talking to Wingull after the first round. Each round has been on a different day so far.
My bad, I remembered those only after the post.

I wanted to echo the sentiment about creating these review threads, in that it does not matter who creates it first. It is not a race. It is not a competition. It is not a matter of recognition or prestige. And it certainly isn't a responsibility that anyone is entitled to. It shouldn't even warrant a comment as it does not contribute to the discussion of the actual episode's content. Whoever gets it to first after the episode airs is whoever gets to it first; all following comments should, again, regard the episode in question and contribute to the conversation overall.

That aside, I still can't get myself to like what I'm seeing so far regarding Ash and Hau. Extending a 1v1 over two episodes is a horrible idea, as is the reason for doing so (trying to teach Rowlet Featherdance at the last minute). Speaking of which, if it has to learn a new move, I'd rather it learn a Ghost type move (like Ominous Wind) to uniquely even the odds between it and Decidueye. Speaking of which, I'm pretty upset that my favorite starter evolution has been represented so poorly in the anime so far. First, it was pitifully curbstomped by Kukui in its debut episode. Then it gets its second shot here, only to be defeated (eventually) by its base form; and not just any base form, mind you, but Ash's main source of comic relief in this region. It'd be one thing if Rowlet has consistently been animated training or possessing an active desire to improve its capabilities, but this thing mostly sleeps all day and has plot armor win most of its fights. But I digress-I'll save it all for when the fight actually finishes.

Gladion vs. James was to be expected, but the whole Z-Move cancels Z-Move tactic is officially old and pretty lazy (doesn't help that we've seen this exact clash of Z-Moves before, as Nanu so poignantly recalled). Also, Rowlet's family and the TRio's interactions did provide some much needed cute beats.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom