• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM132: Overcome Junaiper!

If Rowlet hadn't wasted its Z-Move, I could believe it being able to beat a tired Decidueye, but with both of them spent? Nope.

So if the arrow pins your shadow, but still lets you move, what was stopping Rowlet from just knocking the arrow away?

I also like how Rowlet took the full brunt of Decidueye's Z-Move, yet wasn't KO'd

The episode was passable because of the small moments: The Rockets having more personality and actually caring for each other, Rowlet's excitement to win, his family coming back to help him and Lillie holding hands with Mallow. However it made 3 big mistakes, 2/3 related to Z-moves...

1. There weren't enough training scenes for Rowlet. He should have had at least be able to make some feathers. It does feel more like a vague justification to make a miraculous solution next episode.

2. The Z-move vs Z-move clash. I think they wanted to have a "Ash and Gladion are so similar!" moment but they aren't the only two trainers to use it recently, and Gladion didn't saw Ash's battle so he most likely choose that trick by himself. It's a lame way to handle Z-moves, but not as lame as...

3. The handling of Bloom Doom and Sinister Arrow Raid. Nowadays it seems that Z-moves have a lower accuracy rate than Fissure. Ash should be smart enough to realize that Bloom Doom can be avoided just by flying. And I still don't get how Rowlet dodged most of Sinister Arrow Raid (yes, the characters say he dodged it) when a) He was supposed to be trapped by Spirit Shackle (which affects the shadow and not the clothing) and b) The animation clearly shows him receiving a ton of arrows. The writers literally contradicted their own information and animation in 10 seconds. I would rewrite that part of the battle as that Bloom Doom does hit Decidueye, and he gets dizzy as a result but Hau decides to use his Z-move anyway. Most of Sinister Arrow Raid misses Rowlet, and Hala scolds Hau for being so reckless. Well, at least that part of the battle is finally over...unless they suddenly introduce the Roto Powers from the games, which wouldn't surprise me.

(yes, the characters say he dodged it)
Bull

KvKRw6b.jpg

9k2P9Lc.jpg

He ate all of it

Last edited:
Yes, the art of substitution. One of the oldest ninja techniques where it looks like the user got hit, but in reality they swapped places with another object.

The attack never actually hit Rowlet at all.
Except he's still there after the first hit and we see him get hit by the arrows

That's like getting hit by two cars, then waking up in the hospital and saying "Hah! They missed!"

I don't think we can apply Naruto logic to this scenario since the art of substitution is an actual ninja technique that makes perfect sense within that series, whereas Rowlet's substitution in this episode was some pretentious bull**** deus ex machina asspull move that had no proper explanation other than Rowlet removing his cloak despite him still being shown to be hit by the attack regardless. This ain't a ninja series, so the justification for the substitution happening is complete crap. #SorryNotSorry

Well...
8wjdy.gif

Exactly.

I don't think we can apply Naruto logic to this scenario since the art of substitution is an actual ninja technique that makes perfect sense within that series, whereas Rowlet's substitution in this episode was some pretentious bull**** deus ex machina asspull move that had no proper explanation other than Rowlet removing his cloak despite him still being shown to be hit by the attack regardless. This ain't a ninja series, so the justification for the substitution happening is complete crap. #SorryNotSorry

We've seen characters in this series use the substitution technique the exact same way it works in Naruto.

Last edited:
Really, the whole scenario brings up even more issues to the fact that Ash came into this battle with no strategy planned. It’s to the point that the writers had to invent a contrived solution in which it just so happens that Rowlett is given a costume that will allow it to escape the attack unharmed right before the battle that it will need it in. Hell, if they wanted to be suspenseful, the episode should have ended right when it seemed that Rowlett took the hit. At least then you have the question of how it will survive the attack.

If you find Kalos League bad, fine, I won't try to convince you otherwise, but I'll just say that me and many others disagree with you on that.

Well, that's fine if you disagree. The only thing in my opinion the Kalos League has to it is the substance and the build up towards it. Apart from the league being atrociously rushed and many battles being skipped and what is most likely the worst episode in the history of the Pokemon Anime, The First Episode of the Kalos League. I felt like Ash only had one true competitor challenging him out of the very less 64 competitors and that was Alain. Ash Vs Sawyer was great apart from the fact that they each repeated the same stragities in the First Part. Ash vs Alain was decently fine but its average if you take away the OP Animation. I still rank it over Kanto and slightly Hoenn as the 2nd Best League but that's not saying much since I found most of the Don George Battle Club Tournaments to be better than most of the leagues. And of course they couldn't even animate which Absol, Ash was facing ( Mega or Regular ). But I respect your opinion.
Rowlet and Hau's developments could've been much better if, say, Ash head met Hau earlier on with Dartrix, beat him, encountered him again later with Decidueye, and lost. I know that formula has been used with some previous rivals like Sawyer, but it works. Plus, Rowlet would have a much more logical reason for wanting to defeat Decidueye.

Agreed. I didn't like the way the Anime has treated Hau. He's just been there as a plot device to make sure Rowlet learns a new move.

On a side note, do you guys think that the Anime Staff had originally planned there being at least a 3 VS 3 Battle in Ash's Trials or even a 6 VS 6 in the League ( Which is most likely not gonna happen now )? Ash's First Grand Trial, just like a First Gym Battle was 2 VS 2 and Ash's 2nd Grand Trial just like his 2nd Kalos Gym Battle was a Double Battle, but then it started to get messy from Nanu's Trial. It's clear they didn't plan Ash's Team from the start, since it has Meltan. They must have known LGPE about 5 Months before it was announced. Lana getting an Eevee was also because of LGPE. I don't want to say SM doesn't plan beforehand because it has really good foreshadowing along with XY but take out all that sudden LGPE Promotion and we get time for a more satisfying Necrozma Arc Conclusion, more time to fill up Ash's Empty Team Slots, could have introduced Guzma a little earlier. I think this is the backside of having a Large Cast. But having a game every year of this generation really impacted the anime.

Last edited:
One of the biggest miskate in this episode is that both used Z MOVE so quickly and before next episode. The match began in the finale of the episode and moatly in minuyes number 18 to 19 so how could you use z move in second and third attack ash abd hau?

Even if you explain it as Rowlet suddenly developed Ninja abilities out of nowhere, it’s still a deux ex machina since Rowlet would’ve been eliminated if it’s flock didn’t have a random idea of putting together a Decidueye hoodie.
It’s still bad writing imo. The whole thing is a mess once you look at it after the comedy.

SwadloonBoy’s thoughts of the week...

• Wingull making a Rowlet face LOL <3
  • lol at Ash’s friends telling him to stop being dumb and just use Torracat to beat Decidueye...but NOOO...we have to go with this trope of the unevolved starter being its evolved form for the millionth time in this show’s history
  • Jessie being a sore loser about the last round <3 Never change, Jessie
  • Jessie forging James’ resume to make him sound intimidating...what a true friend
  • omg James fangirling over Royal Mask...I’m gonna choose to believe he’s crushing and that this is some real LGBT representation up in my Pokémon anime
  • I love how supportive of Rowlet the Toucannon family is <3 I didn’t think they’d be this important to his character when they first showed up, so I’m really glad they got multiple re-appearances
  • all this Z-move focus has me really curious as to how they’re going to portray Dynamaxing in the Sword/Shield anime LOL it’s gonna be ridiculous looking
  • James losing was very predictable so I’m not bothered by it at all...what does bother me, however, is that we’re still doing 1v1 battles in the Top 8...like gee, writers, maybe you should’ve given some of these contestants more than 1 Pokémon to play around with
  • Lusimaine being such a supportive mother <3
  • Jessie and Meowth being there to support James after his loss <3 Like, I really wanted to be mad about the whole ‘Jessie losing’ situation, but I can’t deny that they’ve given her (and the entire TR crew) some pretty nice characterization these last two eps
  • Dear Pokemon store, I would buy a Rowlet cosplaying as Decidueye plush...just sayin’
  • using your Z-move two seconds into a fight seems kinda silly, Ash...but you do you
  • Decidueye’s Z-move had some really cool animation...
  • Rowlet using his outfit as a decoy LOL...what a brilliant strategist <3
  • not much to say about next week; I think it’s a foregone conclusion that Ash will beat Hau, but I’m still excited to see how it unfolds nonetheless

James losing was very predictable so I’m not bothered by it at all...what does bother me, however, is that we’re still doing 1v1 battles in the Top 8...like gee, writers, maybe you should’ve given some of these contestants more than 1 Pokémon to play around with
It could’ve easily been a 2 vs 2 since everyone not named James has 2 Pokemon, and James is free to borrow Wobuffet since TR is no stranger to sharing Pokémon.

One of the biggest miskate in this episode is that both used Z MOVE so quickly and before next episode. The match began in the finale of the episode and moatly in minuyes number 18 to 19 so how could you use z move in second and third attack ash abd hau?
Its nice that the outcome of the battle won't involve a Z-Move but yeah it would have been nice if either Ash or Hau forced each other into using the Z-Move instead of just blindly using it at the start of the battle.

It could’ve easily been a 2 vs 2 since everyone not named James has 2 Pokemon, and James is free to borrow Wobuffet since TR is no stranger to sharing Pokémon.
I agree that this is not an issue. I think the staff have used this non-issue to obfuscate from the fact that by having every League qualifier be a main or major recurring character, they have to show every match and therefore don’t have the time for more than 1vs1s.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom